Close

Thread: New member..

Default New member..

Hello all! My name is Michael and I'm a proud owner of an 86 GT. I've owned an 92 GT and a 93 GT vert so, fox bodies run in my blood but I've always wanted a four-eyed beast. I can't believe I found her. The story!! I purchased the 86 from the son of the father whom originally purchased it back in 86 in Dallas. So, I'll be the 3rd proud documented owner. I found her a month ago and had her towed that day to my buddies shop in Austin to get her started and restored. The GT sat for 8 years holding 86k in original miles. Please excuse the pictures as they show the original state of how I found her and a week ago from prep.

How I found her:

From a week ago:

I'll update pictures of the progress. Happy to be part of the community...

Welcome aboard! Looks like you're making pretty good progress with the new project. What are your plans in the power department?

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Its so fun to find them like this, and not all "messed with". Welcome to FEP

You're wasting no time at all...that's great! I assume a fresh coat of paint is in the future? The interior looks like it will clean up very well, which has to make you happy. This is going to be a nice GT when you're done.

Welcome to FEP!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Welcome fellow Texan! Looks like she is all there and just needing some TLC to be a nice one when finished!
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thank you everyone:

@ Farmer86, everything is still bone stock at the moment which is great. My 92 pretty decked out but I really don't want to go to radical. To my understanding the 86's have flat top pistons so simple cam swaps are not achievable. But, I have so plans..

@ Bryan, thanks man..

@ Topgear, yes, fresh paint in about 3 week. I do agree about the interior, it should clean up..

@ bwguardian, thanks...

Welcome! As another 86 GT owner, I know you're going to enjoy this car. Looks like its in pretty decent shape for the age. The rear bumper might be savable if you can bake it in a heated paint booth, or possibly out in the sun (it is TX after all). After working on the MN12 cars, its refreshing that there's a lot available for Fox cars. What color will the new paint be?
    Tom
    1986 GT Hatchback.
    Overheard at Carlisle 2013: "Wow, this thing still runs?"
    You're darn right it does!

Welcome Looks like great progress so far. You will be enjoying it in not time.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Welcome Michael,
    There is definitely something special about 86 GTs.
    It looks like you are not wasting any time getting yours back in shape.
    Keep us updated on your progress with lots of pics.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

@black97tbird, thanks. It's going to stay the same color, Red. All of the black accents are going to be repainted black. The rear bumper cover couldn't be molded, we tried heat, leaving it outside. When it would mold into place, it would find itself back. The car sat for 8 years with a bent cover, lol.

@rkuhn, thanks

@ blk brd 88, thanks. I really wanted to start it ASAP. The should be fully painted by the end of the month.

Welcome to FEP, 85-86 My Favorites!
    85 Mustang GT

[QUOTE=first86gt;1581525]@black97tbird, thanks. It's going to stay the same color, Red. All of the black accents are going to be repainted black.

I'm not sure if you are going for originality, but some of the trim should be painted charcoal grey if you are. Things like the headlight buckets, mouldings, etc were charcoal from the factory. Black always looks great, but charcoal is correct.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Hi Michael and welcome to FEP. Nice looking GT and you didnt waste no time getting started on her. Cant wait to see her done so keep us posted.
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Welcome to FEP, Michael. Looks like a great project and it's moving along nicely.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Thanks again everyone. I just received the news today that the 86 turned over. YES!! We've replaced the whole rear fuel system and upgraded the fuel pump to a 255 LPH. We replaced the radiator with an all aluminum 3 core, replaced oil, and did a full tune up. The car starter without any major issues. Another Foxbody has been brought back to life after 8 years of sitting. Next step, finish a little more body work tomorrow and get her painted all next week. More pics soon to come:

Bummer cover has been replaced:

New wires and the front of the car:

Nice progress! !!! Can't wait to see it come along

Welcome aboard. You've made great progress in a short period of time.
    Looking forward to more pictures.
    Rob

More pictures guys. These we're taken on 10/04:

I was told that they're starting with the hatch and hood this week. Man, can't wait!