Close

Default how do you identify year model of engine

I got an 85 Capri with what I know is a 302 (5.0) but what 3 need to determine is the exact year. The PO said he THOUGHT it was from a 95 butnot sure. It has aluminum intake and holley carb on it but those are add ons I know. I gotta buy some gaskets for it and need the year model. any help will be appreciated. and by the way, this is actually my first Ford cause I've always been a bowtie man.

You need to get at the engineering number and date from the starter area of the block. That will get you close but won't tell you exactly what the engine is from.

If you want to know what vehicle the engine is from you need to get at the VIN stamped on the top-rear of the block, on the flat pad behind the intake.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

What gaskets are you wanting for it?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Probably the oil pan, intake, valvecovers, and front harmonic balancer seal.

Probably oil pan, intake, valve covers and front harmonic balancer seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusher 5.0 View Post
    Probably oil pan, intake, valve covers and front harmonic balancer seal.
    Doing the oil pan will be easier with the engine out of the car and doing it this way is about the same time as just jacking the engine up as you already have the mounts loose. You might consider going ahead and getting the whole gasket set since you really could go ahead and do the timing cover and make the heads optional depending on mileage...but it would give you a good opportunity to open it up and look inside at condition and clean up a little. Since you have a carb I would probably order a set for the 85 given a 302 is a 302 and the gasket sets generally come with several options for certain year changes...like water pump gaskets. The biggest difference is going to be the carb versus efi which you stated it is converted.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Doing the oil pan will be easier with the engine out of the car and doing it this way is about the same time as just jacking the engine up as you already have the mounts loose. You might consider going ahead and getting the whole gasket set since you really could go ahead and do the timing cover and make the heads optional depending on mileage...but it would give you a good opportunity to open it up and look inside at condition and clean up a little. Since you have a carb I would probably order a set for the 85 given a 302 is a 302 and the gasket sets generally come with several options for certain year changes...like water pump gaskets. The biggest difference is going to be the carb versus efi which you stated it is converted.
    So all 302 engines are basically the same ( like most small block V8 chevy's are) as for the gaskets? The PO said he THOUGHT it may be a 95 model engine but I'm not sure. I about got it ready to set out anyway. I want to dress up the engine bay and got to change the rack and pinion and its easier to get to with engine out also.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    You need to get at the engineering number and date from the starter area of the block. That will get you close but won't tell you exactly what the engine is from.

If you want to know what vehicle the engine is from you need to get at the VIN stamped on the top-rear of the block, on the flat pad behind the intake.

I got my engine pulled out today, was easier than any chevy I ever done ! I looked by the starter area and saw the number 88 in the block. Does this mean its an 88 model engine?
    Last edited by Krusher 5.0; 09-15-2013 at 06:48 AM.