Close

Default Assembly procedure and torque Specs

I am rebuilding my 85 2.3l SVO I am in need of some stuff I dont think that the haynes manual has in it such as torque specs assembly procedure bearing clearance. I have the engine assembly lube, plastiguage, and a torque wrench. I'm ready to get this bad boy back on the road Name:  IMG_9927.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  165.9 KBName:  IMG_7626.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  57.1 KBName:  IMG_7219.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  44.2 KBName:  IMG_6627.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  57.1 KB

This is a good place to start. I printed a copy and kept it in the tool box during my rebuild. http://www.rothfam.com/svo/reference/23torque.pdf A few times when I wanted to be extra sure I double checked the Explorer/Ranger Chiltons as it has a section on the 2.3/2.5L. There's not much to rebuilding a 2.3L, but it's a good idea to have a decent manual on hand. There are a couple 2.3T build threads on this forum, just do a search. Keep in mind, a few of them are outside of the 2.3T/SVO subforum. I had a thread for my rebuid around here somewhere, and it's covered on page 5-6 on my cardomain page in my signature.

Do's:

-Make sure everything is clean, then clean it again.
    -Clean the head bolt threads, and if you're reusing the 12pt head bolts clean them too.
    -Don't forget the RTV at the corners of the rear bearing cap between the cap and block.
    -Put the seals in the front cover and aux shaft cover before bolting up the covers, carefully tighten so they stay centered. Or use the specialty tool.
    -Don't forget the RTV at the corners of the oil pan gasket, both sides of the rear bearing cap, and where the front cover meets the block.
    -Retorque the head bolts after a heat cycle.
    -RTV the cam bolt.
    -RTV or high temp teflon the exhaust manifold - head bolts.
    Last edited by Jimmy2.3Mustang; 09-01-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

I just read through your walk through it was very extensive and I'm sure its going to be a lot of help to a newb like myself. I like the flat black on your car it looks great I want to go with the same on my truck thinking about Plastidip. I'm sure i'll have plenty more questions to come.
    Thanks

FEP Member

Be sure to use torque specs for the "type lubricant" you put on the bolts and under the head of the head bolts.

Oil and Moly will have different specs at the same location.

Mark

Get the Ford Factory Manual for the Car your working on. Lots of tips instructions that will help you tremedously. It also has a torque spec for every nut/bolt on the motor.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI