Close

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Zephyr

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    Not a lot of time left this year for upgrades, but I got a great deal on a Volvo 240 front air dam and managed to put it on. It is about a perfect fit, very little adjusting to mount it up. I need to get some period correct driving lights from a Mustang and graft them into the air dam. Or at least the correct looking covers. I saw it done earlier this year on a sharp silver Fairmont and thought it looked great.

What year/years Volvo 240 did that come off of. I wanna find me one!
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

Mine came off a late 80s Volvo 240. I think they were all painted silver.

ZephyrEFI-
    I plan on putting a 1979 mustang instrument cluster in for the next thing

Your Zephyr is turning out quite nicely. Thank you for identifying what rear e-brake cables can be used for the TC rear brakes. Does your Zephyr still have the foot activated E-brakes?
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

I have the foot activated parking brake. I have changed to the 92 lincoln mark VII parking brake cables.
    The casing was a better fit, I just had to remove an inch and a half of the casing with some dikes. The cable length was perfect. Its still adjustable with the original adjuster and I have it set for about half travel but it can be set for higher.
    The other cables ran a bit close to the tire and now I have inches of room and use 96 mustang cable brackets on the control arms to keep it in line.
    The pieces fit really well.

There's cable brackets that go on the control arms??!!! Interesting...
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

this one

Cool stuff. It might've been a better way to solve my interference problem when I switched to the SVO wheels.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I was wondering about the MK VII rear cables fitting or not. Thanks for finding out for us! Yeah, I've been harvesting those rear e-brake cable brackets from the Sn95 Mustangs at the wrecking yards. The problem is I can't remember where I put them afterwards so I grab another set and then lose those. One of these days I'm going to find out where I've put them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    I was wondering about the MK VII rear cables fitting or not. Thanks for finding out for us! Yeah, I've been harvesting those rear e-brake cable brackets from the Sn95 Mustangs at the wrecking yards. The problem is I can't remember where I put them afterwards so I grab another set and then lose those. One of these days I'm going to find out where I've put them all.

I should be noted though that there are two different styles of Mark VII brakes. '84-90 and '91-92. Don't get it wrong like I did.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I picked up a 79 pace car cluster and a 80 wood look surround. I got some white face overlays to give it a more modern look.
    Still need to clean it up a bit , polish the plastic lens and reset the miles on the speedometer and install my LED bulbs for a brighter dash at night,

Does that just plug right in where the 2 gauge setup was? Harnesses and everything?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

because its a 79 cluster it does. I just have to add the correct sending units and run the wiring for the tach. good info here:
    79-80 Mustang IC
    (note these are easily identified as they have TWO flex circuits on the rear).
    If you use a 79-80 Mustang unit then the single F/Z connector can be directly plugged
    into one of the Mustang units sockets (the one in the center) and the wiring will be correct
    but the only gauges that will operate will be the fuel and oil pressure gauge. All other
    functions (ie dash lights, directional indicators, hi beam ind, brake warning lamp, etc,
    will work. However, you must also change the oil pressure sender on the engine from a ‘light’
    sender to a gauge sender or you will kill the oil pressure gauge. The operation of the tach,
    water temp, and ammeter gauges is on the second connector and you will have to fab you own
    ‘mini-harness’ for these gauges. I recommend that only the tach and temp gauges be wired as these
    are relatively straight forward to do. You will also need to replace the temperature sender on the
    engine from ‘light’ sender to the correct ‘gauge’ sender or you will kill the temp gauge. The
    ammeter wiring is a bit difficult to integrate correctly into the existing F/Z underdash and
    underhood harnesses.
    I used a 86 cluster on my 78 fairmont and it was a more involved.

I think the '79 does have a tach wire already in the harness but not sure - Marz! had added a mini tach to his '79 Futura dash where the clock would have gone. I seem to recall he found the factory tach wire. The Mustang instrument cluster was an option for '79 and maybe for '80 also but for sure '79. I found a '79 Futura in the wrecking yard with the full instrumentation option.

I was thinking of stuffing in a 5" speedo and tach in the stock '78 Fairmont dash and use the LTD LX fuel gauge where the auto trans shifter indicator was between the tach and speedo. Oil and temp gauges would be either mounted where the radio was or put above the glove box ala Fox LTD cop car.

That wood dash bezel looks really good. Do you have the matching panel which goes above the glove box door?

I got that piece as well. The Mustang I got the trim from had a little over 43k on it.

Interesting stuff! Yeah, my car is a '79 and came with the 6 gauge cluster. I was just curious how much of an operation that was. If it were me, i would keep the blue panel over the glove box door.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

43K and must have been kept in a garage - nice!

I got the Mustang instrument cluster installed. I did not have to cut the dash to get it to fit like I did on my 78 Fairmont.
    I changed from my blue wheel to a black one from a really low mile 80 Mustang. I think the white looks a little more modern but still has the 80s feel to it.

The blue wheel matches really well but I think the black one is a little more sporty looking

Started the next project. I picked up a slightly ratty pair of Mustang driving lights and cleaned sanded and painted them. turned out okay.
    I spent a month finding the factory switch and mounting brackets, which still have to be cleaned and repainted. The wiring should be fairly easy.
    I plan on mounting them towards the center like a 82 Mustang GT and either moving or removing the front plate.

I got all the bits cleaned and painted. I removed the bumper to aid in aligning everything and after measuring about a thousand times I drilled the holes and put it together. Every hole is a bit oversize for final adjustments, but its really close now. I cant make it too good or it wont match the rest of the car.
    The 79 pace car gave me the idea of where to put the lights. I did have them out farther but it looked odd not being molded into the air dam. Just a couple cuts to clear the brackets and done.

Time to spruce up the Zephyr.
    I got a custom plate to let people know its not a Malibu

Finally got the dash where I really like it

The next project. just need to polish it a lot more. GT500 rear end cover for my other 8.8 along with new clutches and bearings

Really, a great unique look! You should do a before and after of the interior from the same angle. Pretty dramatic change there!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Replaced the fuel injectors and regulator. They had developed a leak at the body on 3 of them, a 1988 thing I am told.
    I went with the 4 hole Explorer type. No real performance gain, but a lot less chance of fire.

Cool car. Great mods. Super craftsmanship.

Mike

Managed to install the 8.8 I got last fall. New bushings, seals, clutches and some paint.
    Next up a new clutch and a better way to adjust it.

Man, that's a nice car. It's cool to see the Speed Density work well with the GT40 stuff. Did you notice a deeper roar (in addition to the increased power) with the GT40Ps? I did. For me, the Explorer intake added a nice kick, and then later adding the GT40Ps at least matched that extra kick. I imagine that doing both at the same time would really make a night-and-day difference.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast