Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Zephyr

Default My new Zephyr

I purchased a 1978 Zephyr. Originally a 4 cyl 4 speed car with manual steering and brakes. It has a EFI 5.0 and new T5, factory headers and duals to the rear bumper. 8.8 rear with 2.73 gears. No rust anywhere. The conversion looks factory. I paid 3000.00 , a little on the high side, but the quality of the work done and parts used are outstanding. I have already tuned it up and fixed a small idle issue. I replaced the stereo and speakers. I got some BBK front springs to replace the 4 cyl ones, Mustang GT front and rear sway bars and front spindles. Just going to be a nice weather driver.

A little high?!! You got a screamin' deal!! Take a look at the craigslist cream colored Futura ad in the FYI forum. Pretty much what you've got for FOUR TIMES that!!

Anyway, awesome car with a very clean conversion you have there! I hope you drive the hell out of it. How does it ride now?

what was your idle issue, out of curiosity? I just fixed one on mine, so I'm wondering.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

kind of a searching , lopy idle. ended up being a dirty IAC valve and brittle gasket. It rides okay and feels stable, just a bit weird at speed with quick moves. I like the lowered ride height so I found the BBK springs. Waiting to do the brakes, springs and sway bar all at once. Still cant get the grin off my face from driving it.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it may not be what the general public's value of the car is, but that IS a helluva deal for a quality car. You'd never duplicate it for that amount. Plus, F/Z cars are starting to get some well-deserved attention from folks. You did well. Enjoy!

That was a score for a sweet car! Drive it and enjoy it.
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

Yes, thats the one.

nice car man!

THREE GRAND?!?!? Damn... you got one hell of a deal!
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

I have been busy redoing some things I didnt like. I got underdrive pulleys, new wires, an explorer intake manifold, different headers and a different 2 1/4 exhaust. the exhaust was 2 inch. I also found a set of valve covers that say Cobra. I tried to match the engine to look a bit cleaner. It pulls a bit better with the explorer manifold. I did have to drill and tap 2 holes for the ACT and coolant return line from egr block, but for 48 dollars from the pick and pull you cant go wrong.

Nice! I'm strongly considering grabbing one of those intakes myself.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Sweet car!
    If it hasn't been converted to 87-93 Mustang GT steering rack, that would be on my 'to-do' list.
    Makes the car much more stable and fun to drive. Just saw your comment about it being "weird" on the road...

If you don't drive on the highway almost exclusively, shorter rear gears will not only give you a kick in the pants, but will even increase fuel economy. 3.55-4.11, or anything between.

Also, some Ford Explorers came with an aluminum driveshaft that is only 1/4" longer than a stock Futura I6/c4 shaft... I would measure to see if you car could take it.
    We picked up 2 from our local u-pull for $12 each... Unfortunately, the way we did our v8 swap, the extra 1/4" is impossible. Your swap may have not placed the engine further back like ours, due to the I4 k-member, and your car might actually take the extra 1/4" in length. Our swap set the engine 1/2" further back than stock...
    (60.5" is a stock Futura shaft... 60.75" is the aluminum shaft)

Even shortening the shaft is only $100 though. We just haven't made that leap yet. $112 for an aluminum shaft is a steal.
    Last edited by ratio411; 10-10-2013 at 09:32 AM.

FEP Super Member

Nine. You guys are making me so want one.
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    Awesome job on that intake! Clean!
    We started with a GT40 on our swap, but after the 4.11 gears, it got "asthmatic" due to the quick revs on such a light car, and we went with a higher rpm upper.

Your car is much cleaner than my son's (father-son project), and he has turned down a couple offers well over $3k...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's one sweet engine compartment, love how you painted the upper plenum to match the v/c's. My 'Mont's staying carburated for now, but EFI's sure looking interesting...
    Last edited by roadkill; 10-27-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Thank you roadkill. I am currently sorting out parts of the interior. I got a mustang console and put a couple gauges where the information center was. I was able to keep the clock, it still works.

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

Very nice purchase, be proud not many are that clean. I tend to look at F/Z's from a "driven" perspective. By that I mean cars that are out on the road doing daily duties and not a fancy restored gem that only comes out to get the Sunday paper.

Good work..
    - Richard

Got around to upgrading the brakes. Just up to 87-93 fronts. seems to stop about a thousand times better now. still manual brakes.
    At some point I would like to go power, but selecting the right booster and master cylinder will take some more research.

nice clean and plain you did very well

You got a great deal! Just try getting someone to do the conversion for you if you got the stock zephyr for free! A box top was on my list! You suck! Haha!

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

You've made pretty good progress on it in just a couple months! Makes me realize how slow/lazy I am with my projects.

I collected all the parts to upgrade the rear. Installed rear sway bar, new springs, shocks and new quad shocks. Big difference. It used to get some tire shake at 30 mph when I smashed the gas , now it chirps for a couple feet and hooks up. It rides really smooth as well. also put new stock springs back up front. I had mustang lowering springs but they lowered it about 5 inches. looked nice but was just too low to be practical.

So, what exactly did you end up with then? what brand of front springs did you go with? Are they stock Zeph springs or Mustang springs? Are the rear springs the BBKs? What brand of shocks did you end up with for what application, Fox Mustang GT?

The reason I ask is, the shocks and springs I have on my car yield a ride that's COMPLETELY unacceptable. My front set up is Duralast Fox Mustang GT springs and SN95 GT stock struts. In the rear, I have Duralast Zephyr wagon springs and Koni shocks. My ride is very stiff and bouncy. Any help you could give would be much appreciated!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I have Moog 8600 front springs with 1990 mustang GT struts. In the rear I have Moog 8597 constant rate springs for a 1978 Zephyr with a 5.0 engine with 1990 mustang GT shocks. My BBK springs are in a box, I dont think I will use them again. Mustang parts fit but I think the way the weight of the car is distributed they act differently. The ride is smooth without being floaty or feeling loose. Turning and driving at speed feels confident and not so weird like before.

How did you decide on which ones to get? Did you call them?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast