Close

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: My new Zephyr

A couple weeks ago the engine developed a random shake and would break up around 3500 RPMs. I checked the cap, rotor and replaced the plugs but it was still there. So I figured it was electrical and I went back over every ground wire no matter how large or small and verified all injectors wiring was not faulty. I looked at maybe getting a new harness but decided to try a different computer first, I have a few, and sure enough the DA1 computer was the problem. I replaced it with a VJ1 from an 86 auto trans car which meant I had to reset the idle. With the TPS, IAC and SPOUT disconnected I set the idle and when I hooked everything back up I got the whistling noise from my BBK throttle body again. I dealt with the noise before by using a plate between the IAC and TB so I started that process where the noise goes away and it doesnt disrupt the idle. They make an adjustable plate for around 50 dollars but I make mine from an old license plate, seems to work well for me.
    The DA1 shows no obvious damage or corrosion but seeing as I dont have a book that list what voltages I should be getting when its energized I will just toss it.

To make getting the size easier I have a few plates.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

I have just been driving the Zephyr like a normal car most of the summer but when I turned the headlights on the temp gauge went up a lot and my volt gauge would drop 2 volts. I checked the alternator output and it was 14.6 volts with lights on or off, I used my HF temp gun and the engine was a touch over 200 degrees so it wasn't really overheating. Using the interweb I found out its really common on fox bodied cars. After going through about a dozen sure fire fixes that included saying to replace the instrument cluster voltage regulator, it ended up being the ground connection on the back of the passengers side head. I had cleaned it really well but after looking really close at it I found that the strands of wire contacting the connector had corroded under where it was crimped. I cut it off and put a new connector on the wire and soldered the wire to the connector and the problem was taken care of. And as usual after doing electrical repairs it seems like the car runs 100 times better.

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    I have just been driving the Zephyr like a normal car most of the summer
    I'm super jealous. You have certainly earned it! Great job on another difficult problem solved!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

After driving around mixed city and highway I noticed a wandering problem and hyper sensitive steering. I had thought the ball joints were bad but it turns out there was a defect in the pressure from the power steering pump. I replaced it before and it had the C2 pump noise and a mystery drip I could never find so I wanted to get rid of it and the hoses and in doing so I fixed the steering and wandering problem. Steering is heavier and I have more control. Reman parts are only as good as the guy that built them.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910