Close

Default black upholstry for 86gt seats?

My next project is to convert the intereior in my 86 gt to black. Does anyone know where I can get the seat upholstery in black? I know black is available for 87-93 seats, just not sure if it will work on the 86 seats. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    1986gt
    1989lx
    1970 nova

Tmi does custom work so I'm sure they can stitch up you up some black covers for your 86. I would just give them a call. What color interior do you have in the car now?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

TMI I believe makes all sorts of upholstery for fox seats. They're not cheap though, but they're worth a look

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 4
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

The interior is red. I dyed the dash and center console black when the car was disassembled for paint and replaced the original red carpet witj black when I reassembled. I'll give tmi a call and see what they have to offer.
    1986gt
    1989lx
    1970 nova

Otherwise you could try a local upholstery shop, but I think they would be more expensive than tmi. The cool thing about tmi is that they have upholstery for just about every year Mustang, so if you wanted to do something unique like incorporate the Pace Car Recaro pattern in your 86GT, they can make you some covers that will fit your 86's seat frames. Or if you like the old Mach 1 or Terminator Cobra seats, they have upholstery for those as well (and both are predominately black in color).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I've had seats professionally upholstered in the past and I know what it will cost. Unfortunately I don't have the budget for that. I want to upholstery to by just like the original, just in black. I have a $350-400 budget for the materials. I'll recover them myself.
    1986gt
    1989lx
    1970 nova

I don't know how you will be able to get that done? Ford didn't offer black GT seats in 85/86 so there isn't going to be any reproduction material. You will just have to make your interpretation of what black GT seats would have looked like if they were an option. So you will need to find some black outer material, the inner "shimmering" fabric, and some piping to make what you want?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

You can have TMI do the interior in black if that is what you want. As stated by TopGear86 there was no factory black in 86 so the black material will not be "correct" but I doubt that will be a huge deal for you. TMI usually has an additional fee for custom color or non stock combos, but I believe it's pretty reasonable at around $100 or so. The normal cloth interior kit can be had for under $400 so they should be close to your budget.

I don't know if LTDMastaGt had TMI do his covers or not but you can check out his build thread here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-GT-vert/page4

Go to post 81 and down, that will give you and idea of the black seats and what a black interior can look like.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I just did a set of LX seats in sand beige and have to give TMI a big thumbs up... They make a good quality product and I would use them again. The color isn't factory correct but I could care less... Its new, fresh and clean.. As far as doing the work goes it an easy straight forward job.. I watched some you tube vids and they had some good tips. Some new seat foam is nice if you can squeeze it in the budjet.
    Last edited by RPB; 08-31-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Lets see a pic of those sand beige seats RPB.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    You can have TMI do the interior in black if that is what you want. As stated by TopGear86 there was no factory black in 86 so the black material will not be "correct" but I doubt that will be a huge deal for you. TMI usually has an additional fee for custom color or non stock combos, but I believe it's pretty reasonable at around $100 or so. The normal cloth interior kit can be had for under $400 so they should be close to your budget.

I don't know if LTDMastaGt had TMI do his covers or not but you can check out his build thread here:showthr49page4"]httvb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?49370-my-86-GT-vert/page4[/URL]

Go to post 81 and down, that will give you and idea of the black seats and what a black interior can look like.

Good Luck!

Trey
    Yes, I know that car and the owner. Didn't know he was a member on here. I'll ask him where he went. Thanks
    1986gt
    1989lx
    1970 nova

Tan seats in a black interior would look killer!

I used TMI for my seats, never-offered black vinyl '87-89 pattern. I would suggest buying your covers through CJ Pony. They offer more fabric/color options than TMI's own website. When I called them, they actually suggested I do that.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual