Close

FEP Power Member

Cool Are E7 heads worth swapping in a 82GT

Just looking at upgrades to do over the winter. I have a basically stock 1982 5 liter with Edelbrock RPM intake and Holley 1850, 600cfm carb. Dual exhaust with 87 stock headers and H pipe. I just installed a Flowmaster Force II catback with 2.5" pipes. Also has a newer T5 with 8.8 rearend and 3.73 gears.

This will be mostly a cruiser and may take to track to see what times I can get.

What heads would be recommended? Are the E7's a direct bolt on? Which cam would be good for my setup?

Thanks,
    Joe

i have e7's(stock on the 92 i just picked up). i'm saving up to get a real head in the spring. in the meantime, i was planning to get some GT40's. then i decided for the small power increase, there'd be easier ways to go about it. if you're going through the trouble of swapping heads, wouldn't it be nice to get a more noticeable increase out of it than the e7's (or GT40's)would provide?

-not saying not to do it, just doesn't seem worth the effort (to me) to make 225hp and have a head that runs out of steam at 5500rpm.

If you find E7's truly ready to bolt on, I think it's worth it. GT40/ GT40P's are a better choice but usually more $. Trade/ sell/ swap your way into a 600 or 650cfm Holley or similar mech. sec. carb and tune it and the advance curve on your Duraspark.

I did largely the above along with a small hyd. flat-tappet cam and the end result was a big 'ole difference!

Funnel
    '64 Comet
    ---
    No Fox's at present but an '82 GT or Notch is always a possibility - though hands are pretty full with the kids and Comet!

Mike Croke

If you can do everything pretty cheap, then the E7s can be a worthwhile upgrade. Keep in mind the costs of just removing your heads and re-installing. Typically, with gaskets, oil/filter change, new spark plugs, etc., the swap can quickly exceed $250 or more if the heads are free. The second the heads require any machine shop time, they're not worth it. Used heads can often be a money pit. Milling the decks to get them flat, new valve seals, shims under the worn springs to extend their life, valve job, etc. can turn "free" heads into $600 stock E7 heads not including the previously mentioned gaskets and such.

For comparison, you could swap an entire explorer 5.0 in for less than $1K and you'd have GT40 heads, roller cam, 3G alternator, and higher compression.
    Last edited by Mike Croke; 08-25-2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling

And if you shop around, you can get it even cheaper than that. I got one just like in the picture of the ad Mike posted with 8k less miles on it for $410 from an LKQ yard.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Blog Entries

I paid $350 for my Mountaineer motor from the boneyard. At 180,000 miles, it still had pristine crosshatching. I swapped cams, regasketed the motor, and have beaten it like a red headed step child ever since. It has seen many strip passes and daily drives, and cost less than a grand including the cam. Using dragstrip weight/ speed/ distance calculations, it is putting around 275HP down at the rear tires. Not bad!
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

^ What they all said.lol A lot of minimal gain for the effort even if they are free(I hope). There are some better deals out there for some that will outperform E7s for the effort.

FEP Power Member

Thanks all. I guess I'll be looking for some GT40 heads or an explorer motor in the junkyards...I'm looking to make close to 300 RWHP.

Blog Entries

Well, as I said, I am at 275 to the tires. Finding hp by track times is actually pretty accurate.At that hp range, it is far more than a cruiser only needs, and with decent tires instead of the Sears and Roebuck crap I have it would be deep in the twelves. Not saying that to say how great my junk is, just saying that a GT40P motor makes plenty for what you want. The jump from 275 to 300 RWHP is actually fairly steep ( insert expensive here) involving heads, RPM'S , and associated parts to support it. For a cruiser, probably not worth it. Just to put it in perspective, I believe that your 82 made around 150HP-- at the crank. I am making double that, once you figure driveline losses. For a grand!
    Last edited by brianj; 08-27-2014 at 05:06 PM.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

if you go with junkyard GT40's, you may find this link useful.
    http://www.alexsparts.com/categories...GT40P%2C-GT40/

you should at a bare minimum do some research about a gt40 spring upgrade. old stock SUV valve springs aren't up to snuff.
    Last edited by rob342; 08-27-2014 at 06:00 PM.

GT40p motor here and making good power running in the mid to high 12's. It's a good cheap head that works well with mild upgrades. I just milled mine, new valve seals, and reassembled with a set of Alex parts drop in springs. The cam is an E cam 1.7 cobra rockers. I have $350 or so in my heads and valve gear ,but no labor paid.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Mike Croke

Just to add a little more, since the OP is carb'ed, he could buy the Explorer engine and sell the manifold and EFI bits to help offset the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Croke View Post
    Just to add a little more, since the OP is carb'ed, he could buy the Explorer engine and sell the manifold and EFI bits to help offset the costs.

That is what I did. $410 for the engine, sold the intakes and injectors for $255 so I got a roller long block with P heads for $155.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

i never find deals like this on craigslist. i had an 89 with gt40 heads and manifolds back in the day... great combo for cruising around town. Now i drive a stock 82 that feels like it cant get out of its own way
    82 Capri T-Tops

I found mine on car-part.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I found mine on car-part.com.
    how many miles did it have on it? theres a bunch near me with 100k plus on them
    82 Capri T-Tops

Mine had 90k. That website led me to a local LKQ breaking yard, it was on a pallet in the warehouse.

what did you do to the heads before you ran the motor?
    82 Capri T-Tops

Blog Entries

All I did was the Trickflow spring upgrade. I also hand lapped the valves, but my heads had 180k on them!

I didn't do anything to mine, but now I am going to change the valve springs.

I did a budget rebuild of the 302 in my 1982 Capri about 4 years back. I used a set of E7 heads that I got for free, cleaned, hand lapped the valves and ground down the thermactor humps. Stock cam, no AC, full (2.5") exhaust, Edelbrock Performer 289 and Edelbrock 600CFM carb. I don't know how much power my car makes, but it was enough to run a 13.9 on slicks. The power gain was very noticeable! I'd say if you can do it cheaply, they are a good set of heads to wake up your car a bit while saving up for something bigger and better.
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L
    1965 Fastback project car - more rusty than not

i have hooker equal length headers and i don't believe they will fit the gt40p heads
    82 Capri T-Tops