Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Senior Member

To the top.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

Heater switch has been replaced/is functional. Just replaced the inner tie rods.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

I'm a Newbie... What's a "CFI car?" Does your sunroof leak? Am I reading it right--it's always been a California car? Thanks.
    Last edited by DeadStang; 11-26-2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Too late for me to make sense typing anything!

CFI is Centralize Fuel Injection. A fancy way of saying throttle body fuel injection.

BaconB8's coupe looks real nice. If I didn't already have an '84 Notch sunroof coupe in the middle of an SEFI conversion I'd be seriously thinking about this one. First thing I would do is remove the headliner and seal the inner surfaces between roof and reinforcement to prevent rust. Then I'd metal glue in the brackets so the old sun shade from a '79 or so Mustang sunroof car will fit.

My coupe has started to rust in the roof and I was thinking about reskinning the car and ditching the sunroof. But after the above discussion, I'm having second thoughts.

BaconB8, sorry for hijacking your ad but you have a really nice looking coupe and I hope it sells.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

what a sweet looking car!
    Looking for a Fox wagon

FEP Senior Member

No problem with posting on the ad, its a good place to discuss the cars in general.

Car has been in CA since day 1 and was purchased at Hilltop Ford in the San Francisco bay area. The sunroof doesn't leak and the roof is totally solid as viewed from the top and bottom. The headliner is out, and I have the headliner board stored in the garage.

I also just installed a 3g alternator in the car and the drivability seems to be better than ever. Amazing what happens when all the sensors see the proper voltages!
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

I can't read build sheets very well... A fuel injected 1984 would've started life as an automatic car? Both my '84s (5-speeds) are carburated.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadStang View Post
    I can't read build sheets very well... A fuel injected 1984 would've started life as an automatic car? Both my '84s (5-speeds) are carburated.
    In the 1984 and 1985 model years, all 5.0L Capris and 5.0L Mustangs...

automatic trans = CFI
    manual trans = 4V carb
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks, that what I thought.

BaconB8, did the current pedal cluster, cable, bellhousing, etc, and such come from the transmission donor car? Are there (metal) differences in the tranny hump between manual and auto cars?

FEP Senior Member

The swap parts came from various cars I've had over the past 20 years of fox building. The main part of concern would be the wiring harness, and it came from an extremely rusted 86 factory V8 notchback. In order to guarantee the wiring would work properly for the four-eyed dash I wanted the harness to come from an 86 model. If you'll recall, the 86 is the only four-eye year with SEFI. This is the best way to perform this type of swap. The fuel lines are from that car also.

The trans swap parts are from 86 and later cars, so the bellhousing is the bigger one and the crossmember is a manual trans double-hump. The floor in the car retains its original automatic contour, as swapping in the trans tunnel floorpan isn't worth the effort. As for pedals, I don't know for sure what car they're from, but I've never owned or parted any 4 cylinder cars aside from a crashed SVO, so it had to have come from a manual V8 car.

I want the car to look as factory as possible. Part of this is due to the tough emission standards our state has. The cleaner the package looks, the less likely you'll be to have some smog tech fail your car for a equipment infraction. This car is bone stock, and there's no arguing stock cars pass every time.

Good questions by the way.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

I'm pretty sure the 4 cylinder manual trans pedal assembly will be the same as the V8 version - our '87 Lemon's car still has the plastic self adjusting quadrant.

Interesting about the choice of wiring harness. I found the '89-'93 computer harness easier to deal with (wanted mass air but note the '89-'93 harnesses vary by year) and thought the way the '86 laid out it's wiring a bit odd. Personal preference on my part.

Does your car have a console? I was wondering if not having the extra transmission hump sheet metal makes a difference in the consoles - they seem to be one size fits all.

FEP Senior Member

Using an 86 harness is plug-and-play for a four eye car. No re-pinning and all fits as factory.

I have a console, but choose not to run one as they tend to be fragile and rattle prone. As for fitting to the floor, I think the raised section of the factory manual tunnel is to mount the inner boot to the floor in an easier to seal fashion.

I like the look of a chrome flat stick Hurst handle sticking out from a boot mounted on the carpeting, like what you'd see on a 60's era car. That was the plan for this car, and locating a console delete cover for the e-brake lever.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

I think you may be right about the trans hump plate. I'll find out with the consoless Cougar Wagon. I may have to convert my '84 Notch to be consoless if the console I have rattles and breaks again.

I have to admit the '86 didn't have the CHECK ENGINE light so that's one less hassle with the referee. I still have to rig up that circuit in my '84 Notch.

Good luck with the sale - whomever buys your car will save him/herself a lot of work (even with the '86 wiring, converting to SEFI is a lot of work)!

Here's my '84 with rusting roof:

Vnly is going to kick my butt...
    Last edited by Dean_T; 11-30-2013 at 02:03 AM.

it's kind of interesting to see what combinations were either discontinued or not offered. Kinda jogged my brain into wondering why there weren't any made after 84, why the T roof stopped in 88, or why there werent notchback Capris. The chassis was already being made for the mustang, and the interior parts would be mostly the same.
    1986 GT Hatchback.
    Overheard at Carlisle 2013: "Wow, this thing still runs?"
    You're darn right it does!

FEP Senior Member

Bummer on the rusted roof on your white notch. I've seen several SVOs with similar rust in the roof.

The t roof and sunroof options were rather expensive. Notch buyers were looking for an affordable Mustang.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

NEW PRICE!

About to finalize a deal on a 67 Mustang sportsroof, so need the space. The "P" intake had a small crack in one of the runners and was causing the minor miss, so a stock one is now in its place. The car also now has BBK ceramic coated longtubes with an offroad X.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

PM replied....
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12