Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

Default 84 Factory Sunroof 5.0 Notch

Yes, the sunroof was a factory option in 84. It was the final year for the notch. How many Black/Grey/5.0/Sunroof cars were built is anybody guess. In my 15 years of fox building, its the first and only I've seen.

This car started life as a 5.0 CFI car. Around 2000 it was involved in a light front end collision that damaged the bumper cover and the passenger fender. The insurance company made the owner a really good salvage offer on the car and he took it. After that, he bought it back and parted the mechanicals. 10 years later I bought it. The car was a 1 family owner until I got it. The car holds a California title with salvage history.

The hood, driver fender and the front bumper cover have been repainted. Everything else is factory paint. No hidden Bondo or previous Maaco type scuff and shoot paintjobs to deal with. The pics make the car look REALLY good. Its not as good as the pics indicate, but is totally acceptable in any cruise spot. There are dents/dings all over, and the original owner scraped the garage door hardware with the passenger rear quarter. Its minor, and is isolated to the lip of the quarter.

Mechanicals are a complete EFI swap using a 86 harness as a donor. The motor is a 85 roller-cam HO with new E7's. The only real mod is a "P" intake. All else is stock. Car passed CA emissions as you see it 2 months ago. Transmission is a T5 from an 88 5.0. It will pop out of second occasionally, but doesn't shift rough or grind unless you try to force it into gear. I'm guessing it may need a synchro down the road. Factory parts were used in nearly every case, so no hardware store bolts anywhere in the car. I replaced the heater core when I had the dash out for the wiring swap, so it doesn't leak. The switch for the heat doesn't work. The fuel tank/pump are new, and the pump is a 255 intank. Every sensor has been replaced and the tuneup is fresh. It does seem to have an occasional miss I can't figure out. Probably just needs a fresh set of eyes looking at it. Compression is 150-160 in every hole.

The suspension/brakes are all new. Full thickness front rotors and pads, all hydraulic lines and master/booster are new. Outer tie rod ends and front lower control arm bushings are new urethane. Struts are old Koni reds with onionheads. Rear suspension is a set of new MM lowers with cop-spec uppers. Rear shocks are Koni reds. Springs are 2004 Mach 1.

I'm looking for 5k for this car. Its my daily driver at present. I get "Is that an old cop car" all the time. Its hilarious!

85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

Heres the Photobucket link for lots of pics, some as purchased pics too.

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Brok...?sort=3&page=1
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

The rear axle is an 8.8 with 2.73 gears. Factory Ford locking diff.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Good luck with selling this one, Pat. Ultra cool looking car. Something new on the radar?
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

FEP Senior Member

Its a great car. There's no real push to sell it though as it keeps miles off the other cars.

I'm still waiting on the local LRB 5.0 86 notch to become available, its really the only thing I'd rather have than the 84 at this point. Probably since I've been after this particular car for over 12 years now, and the owner isn't ready to part with it yet.

Its kinda odd, nobody will say a word about my 85 Saleen, but people really dig this car. Its probably the least interesting car I own, but it gets attention. I think its the sleeper street race thing the notches have from back in the day.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

my old 84 5.0 coupe..carbd...sunroof..my friend still owns it...r the sunroof coupes uncommon?

[IMG] http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...my/resized.jpg[\img]

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

FEP Senior Member

Can you think of another you've seen until now? You've been around for awhile, and in SoCal where everything is.

Just the Factory V8 notch alone is uncommon. Probably on-par with the t-top versions people are so proud of, minus the crazy leaks and rattles.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

lol now ive really clouded up your thread..u r right.i havent seen many...i have had the chance of owning some rare ones..being in so cal..here is my prior 83 5.0..anyhow your car is sweet..especially the color combo..good.luck with the sale

Jeremy
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg

Sunroof numbers are unknown, for any body.

Both the sunroof and the T-roof ended on the coupe body after the 1984 model year.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

thats really too bad..guess it just goes to say...have u ever seen another..no? then its low production..to date ive seen only three four eye sunrood coupes.this one, mine and third is the coupe on street outlaw racing show

Jeremy

I have seen one other '84 sunroof coupe, in 2010 on autotrader.com, 5.0L/AOD with white paint and red cloth interior.

I could make an educated guess on the '84 production number but I'm not going to, as that number would then be quoted all over the Internet.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 08-21-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Senior Member

Internet gospel spoken here!

I do know a guy who has a six-cylinder 83-84 sunroof coupe. Its black too. He lives in Oregon, and will probably chime in here soon.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

I do not have any '83s in the database, and for '84 only this one and the one I found on autotrader.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

and that white 84 of mine above

Jeremy

I do not have it in the database because I do not have a VIN or other identifying data.

ah..ok..my friend still owns it..ill try and get some info for u

Jeremy

FEP Senior Member

Here's the buildsheet......

85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

85 Saleen Mustang(s)

I have a 83 with a factory 5 speed and a sunroof. I can get the vin tomorrow.
    "IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER,YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM"

Thanks, BaconB8, for posting the build sheet for this car.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I do not have it in the database because I do not have a VIN or other identifying data.
    Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    ah..ok..my friend still owns it..ill try and get some info for u
    Quote Originally Posted by 83notcho View Post
    I have a 83 with a factory 5 speed and a sunroof. I can get the vin tomorrow.
    Of course I would always like to see more than just a VIN for cars of which I have little or no info...door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, warranty tags, axle tags, Marti reports, Eminger invoices... And mileage and options.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Senior Member

Being this is one of the few in your database, the buildsheet is a good score.

I have the ownercard too but the metal plate itself is missing. Probably no good to you unless you wanted to know the owners address in the mid-eighties. The door sticker and buck tag are in the phtobucket link if you haven't seen them already.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

I saved the buck tag from way back when you first posted it. It was/is small but still readable. The door tag was too small to read. Owner card without the metal tag would be no good for my purposes, but thanks for offering. They sometimes have a dealer code but without a matching dealer name the code is of little use to me.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Senior Member

Awesome car. Good luck.
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck

FEP Senior Member

The Dealership was Hilltop Ford, somewhere in the SF Bay area. Its written in the Warranty booklet.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast