Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by eight666lx View Post
    I put in some infinity reference 3.5's in the dash, with a nice kenwood headunit with the built in amp. I originally bought 6.5's for the back and a 100w powered bazooka tube. I got lazy and just installed the dash 3.5's and holy hell the sound is incredible. granted i had stock speakers and a trash jvc aftermarket unit in there before( and no muffler!) but now I can hear my music. i've yet to install the bazooka tube but when i do i'm looking forward to some nice bass. but if bass isnt your thing, throw these 3.5's in the dash and thats all you'll need for a wide array of music, even with the top down!

it might be good to mention this is coming from a guy with one functional ear.
    I know this thread is a bit dated but the issues are relevant forever...

I am putting together my entire dash after doing the a/c and heater core (86gt vert) I bought a set of the Infinity 3.5s (32.5cf kappa series) I was wondering if that is what you have installed. It looks as if I may have a slight clearance issue, but my speakers come with a clearance ring that is removable.

I am revamping the entire stereo system, installing all new stuff. I came to the site looking to find out if the amplifier unit at the top of the dash could be removed completely from the system without any other system problems. It looks like a lot of wires coming into the amp, more than I suspect to run the stereo but IDK. Anyway, I wil probably start a separate thread on this issue if I can find an existing one that covers this part.

BTW, my Infinity 3.5's come with low-pass filters in-line to regulate unwanted frequencies that will damage the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200 View Post
    I know this thread is a bit dated but the issues are relevant forever...

I am putting together my entire dash after doing the a/c and heater core (86gt vert) I bought a set of the Infinity 3.5s (32.5cf kappa series) I was wondering if that is what you have installed. It looks as if I may have a slight clearance issue, but my speakers come with a clearance ring that is removable.

I am revamping the entire stereo system, installing all new stuff. I came to the site looking to find out if the amplifier unit at the top of the dash could be removed completely from the system without any other system problems. It looks like a lot of wires coming into the amp, more than I suspect to run the stereo but IDK. Anyway, I wil probably start a separate thread on this issue if I can find an existing one that covers this part.

BTW, my Infinity 3.5's come with low-pass filters in-line to regulate unwanted frequencies that will damage the speakers.

In my estimation, those Infinity Kappa 3.5" speakers are fantastic, but the area does require a bit of massaging to get them into the cramped space of a Fox dash.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

FEP Power Member

Memphis Car Audio worked for me. They have a real tweeter and they fit in the dash. Much better than stock and better than Pioneers.

Just put Kickers in the 80 no issues
    Mustang Week Staff
    www.mustangweek.com
    1980 Cobra
    1981 coupe 6 cylinder
    1982 GT
    04 Lightning
    14 GT

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    But, But, But Esco, those don't even say Premium on them???
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    That's crazy! lol who would think someone would have a set of NOS dash speakers for the 85 86 out there??? Only on ebay!!! I'll bet the cone material will explode as soon as the current hits them..

Thanks for that lead though. I'm sure someone putting their car back to pure form will be happy to pay that $200.

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    In my estimation, those Infinity Kappa 3.5" speakers are fantastic, but the area does require a bit of massaging to get them into the cramped space of a Fox dash.
    Ron
    Ron thanks, what kind of massaging can I expect installing the 3.5 kappa's in the dash? I'm still looking ahead at the job, I just got sidetracked with work. I just bought the new dash pad from late model and I'm not too interested in doing any cutting on it. Clearancing the under-deck of the dash to fit the magnet would not bother me if that's needed. I did notice that my 3.5" Kappa's have a little spacer ring with them; I was wondering if that could just be left of for clearance.....

FEP User

I just dug out a set of 3.5" NIB Blaupunkt vx352 60 watts 2-way units. I forgot I bought them years ago... lol

Anybody know what they sound like... I either can't remember or didn't check back then... where's my rocking chairrrrrr...

I clearanced the dash pad for the old '79 back in the 90's. I carefully scraped the foam material from the back side of the speaker openings. Then I modified metal speaker grills to fit, and epoxied them in place. Worked great, and didn't have to worry about cracks in the speaker openings.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Default removed foam for speaker clearance

Removed foam that eventually disintegrates and falls onto the speaker.
    Adds clearance for those speaker spacer rings.
    Gluing in speaker dust cloth provides needed reinforcement for the brittle hole array.

Last edited by gr79; 08-25-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Inspired by this thread, installed a different center speaker to help the little ones.
    Late 90's Ford Expedition front door OEM Mach Audio 6x8. F8AF-18808-EA made in USA.
    After a 3 hour sound check, all is well. A center speaker definably complements the other four.

Goal is to get the right sound. Not having to mentally fill in missing music as we remember it.
    Smooth. accurate reproduction of familiar songs. The system's sweet spot.
    Not having to keep readjusting eq settings and volume all the time.

Future 3.5 picks here include the Pioneers and JBL GTO 328 or 329.
    JBL always works well for me.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-25-2014 at 12:07 PM.

A quick search through Amazon (disregard the 6.5 speakers and other non 3.5")

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ive%20speakers
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...FbNj7Aod11sAug

I used these JBL 3.5's. They come with filters to block out frequency that damages the speaker. they sound great.

Ive been through 3 pairs of speakers since the summer. Is there a way to upgrade to a bigger front dash speaker without cutting the dash up?

Not really.......there is no room under the dash pad. Try adding door speakers if you dont mind cutting up your door panels.most people wont though.

Quote Originally Posted by chads84svo View Post
    Not really.......there is no room under the dash pad. Try adding door speakers if you dont mind cutting up your door panels.most people wont though.
    I have a convertible, I don't thin k I can even fit door speakers

Door speakers fit just fine in these door panels if you don't mind cutting it up. This was my '85 GT Vert several years ago before I restored it back to original. Don't ever let door speakers keep you from buying a fox....it can be fixed :-)

Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Yep, I just used my 3 1/2" speaker openings for tweeters. I made crude brackets and haven't had any problems. For the woofers, I cut holes in my door panels, but you could always do the custom kick panel thing and save your stock kick panels for the concours restoration shows.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Yep, I just used my 3 1/2" speaker openings for tweeters. I made crude brackets and haven't had any problems. For the woofers, I cut holes in my door panels, but you could always do the custom kick panel thing and save your stock kick panels for the concours restoration shows.
    That's an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Door speakers fit just fine in these door panels if you don't mind cutting it up. This was my '85 GT Vert several years ago before I restored it back to original. Don't ever let door speakers keep you from buying a fox....it can be fixed :-)

NICE!!!

In the second picture is the carpet covering the speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post

Totally agree. My GT350 has holes in the door panels. Already have replacement door panels.

Attachment 78622
    Attachment 78623
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

The speakers were removed and door panels restored. I bought the convertible door panel carpet from FMR, and paid an upholstery shop $100 to fill in the backing board and sew the carpets on. It's easier to restore a vert panel because the carpet is higher....much tougher to repair as you see above on the non vert panels since most speakers are taller than the carpet.

Funny story...I went back to stock 3.5" in the dash, and NEVER realized there were 5x9 (or whatever they are) factory speakers in the back panels, so I drove around for two damn years with a just a transistor radio sound up front ;-) I sold the car to my buddy, and when helping him replace a rear window motor is when I found and hooked up the damn rears!!
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 12-20-2014 at 12:04 PM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by 84GT350CONV View Post
    Memphis Car Audio worked for me. They have a real tweeter and they fit in the dash. Much better than stock and better than Pioneers.
    I second that. I've putting these in both my Mustangs and Thunderbirds for years. I never blown them up either.

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...akers/15prx32/
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

conmech - aka Marshall

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12