Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Get your 3.5" speakers now!!!

So I'm shopping for 3.5" speaker and guess what? It seems that nobody is making them anymore. Boston Acoustics no longer makes them, Pioneer it seems dropped them. In a few more years, we may not be able to buy them!

I'm looking at getting Kickers now. Trying to find good speakers that don't stick up and poke into the dash pad.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Bummer, but thanks for the info.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

JL Audio has them. They are spendy. I have had great luck with all of the stuff I have used over the years. Boston acoustics is out of mobile audio all together.

I have infinity speakers in my dash. The do poke up. I don't know if they are still made either
    ~Shawn

1979 Mercury Capri-5.0/C4
    2010 Cool Vanilla Cream Dodge Charger R/T
    1978 Suzuki GS750E
    1993 Ford Mustang, calypso green, 2.3 auto-sold

Having 30 cars rotting in your yard does NOT make you a collector. If its sinking in the dirt, sell it or grab a wrench.

I bought some Kenwood's about two months ago from Amazon. There were still quite a few other brands listed then.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

I bought some powerbass brand off amazon for like 15 bucks. Stockers were toast and honestly I really don't care what kind of speaker it is being 3.5" in diameter and pointing at the glass they are never going to sound great. The cheapies sound OK for now until I can build some kick panels like I had in my old car.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Yeah, I ran by my local car audio place and grabbed a set of Rockford Fosgates that they had in the display (discounted of course). Then I bs'd with them a bit and had to head out. I've owned nearly every brand out there, but that was in HS so I couldn't remember which had the best bass response. I'm well aware of 3.5" driver limitations, I going down the best of the worst path.

The JLs look like they would have less clearance problems, but likely be a bit screechy. I plan on buying some kickers and a few other pairs to experiment and for the other foxes I own. I also loaded up on bass blockers while at the store!

Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

I have been thinking about removing mine.

They sound like crap. The vibration can't be good for the dash pad.

Don't forget, you can always "clearance" the underside of the dashpad to give a little extra room for speakers that stick up higher than stock.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Sure. I could never get comfortable with the idea of doing that though...

I'm still rocking the stock stereo, speakers, and amp. Maybe you guys don't realize this, but the speakers our car came with are "premium." Simply put, there is nothing finer on the market today. Lol

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376452999.178239.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  164.1 KB
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Yes, I've owned a set of those before. Pioneers always have a nice warm sound to them. I just find that compared to the Boston Acoustics and Kickers they aren't quite as articluate, but very good speakers to be sure.

I'm interested to try the JL Audio. Looks like they would have less clearance issues, but the only other speaker I've had with a smaller diameter magnet like that was Alpine. And those had ZERO bass. I mean, even for a 3.5" no bass.

I had the JL Evolution C3-570 components in the wife's car and they sounded amazing, but for $529 a pair they should.
    Always loved the Boston Acoustics as I liked my music a little on the bright side.
    The c2-350x has a silk tweeter so I do not believe it will be shrill at all, however you will not be running a crossover on it like the components, and most decks do not have decent adjustments for tuning.
    Overall they should sound decent given a sheet of dynamat to insulate it from the dash plastic, and around a 35-60 watt per channel amp running them that is clean.
    Running them from just the deck alone it would not be worth the investment in the speakers.

Running off the factory 83 deck? Ha!

Nope, I've installed many a 3.5" in a Mustang, amps, subs, tape decks, cd players, stand alone CD changer controllers, etc..

This will be all new wiring (leaving the factory wire in tact) amps, deck, etc..

Thanks for the info on the JLs. Local shop said they were nice, but a little pricy for what you actually get.

Just an FYI, there are 3.5" Polks on sale at crutchfield. $29 shipped. Im not sure how great they are, but I figured for the price I would try them. They have to be better than the stockers from '88.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

If it's any kinda sound quality your looking for, there's only room for some real bullet tweeters (like Beyma or focal) in the dash. Full Range 3.5" kicker, pioneer and other "consumer" grade stuff is junk if your criticizing sound quality, even when properly powered. Of course, if you get real high range speakers, you would need real mid range, full range, mid bass and low end components to go with it. A meticulous car audio prep, a real car electrical system, a real amp and a real head unit...and a real audio format source to hear all this. Hours of tuning and imaging your sound profile, which might change from song to song. You could easily sink $1,000 and that many hours into your dash set-up alone. But, that's only if your not happy with the $40 junk everybody else has. Looking for million dollar sound...even better than average sound is a culture all on its own.
    Last edited by ry4ns302; 08-19-2013 at 11:16 AM.

The polk audio speakers appear to have the tweeter sticking up too high for my comfort. Maybe it's all in the puctures, but that made me pass on them.

Focal? How about Hybrid Audio? Maybe I should spend $1,600 on a decent set of 3.5"? http://store.12velectronics.com/prod...eaker-Set.html

I've done competitions (given that was over 10 years ago, but still) and back in the day I was very familiary with these new, break through subs call Solo Barics. Presicion Power and Phoenix Gold amps. I spent $2,000 on an Eclipse deck because I "needed" the copper plated chassis.

I'm not intersted in doing any of that anymore. I want to drive my car with the T Glass out and the stereo up. It needs to be better than the factory 83 stuff. Kicker speakers and Rockford or Alpine amps will be fine. No one will be putting a spectrum analyzer in my car and at highway speeds the overwhelming portion of the population can't tell the difference. I will use that crap Knukonceptz wire and still be able to sleep at night.

I'm well aware of the possiblity of hand laid fiberglass enclosures and $100,000 systems. Stock speakers, stock locations, and better than Best Buy grade equipment. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by 79Coupe View Post
    The polk audio speakers appear to have the tweeter sticking up too high for my comfort. Maybe it's all in the puctures, but that made me pass on them.

I was wondering about that too, but they fit fine under my Cougar stock grills.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I put in some infinity reference 3.5's in the dash, with a nice kenwood headunit with the built in amp. I originally bought 6.5's for the back and a 100w powered bazooka tube. I got lazy and just installed the dash 3.5's and holy hell the sound is incredible. granted i had stock speakers and a trash jvc aftermarket unit in there before( and no muffler!) but now I can hear my music. i've yet to install the bazooka tube but when i do i'm looking forward to some nice bass. but if bass isnt your thing, throw these 3.5's in the dash and thats all you'll need for a wide array of music, even with the top down!

it might be good to mention this is coming from a guy with one functional ear.

I've had several infinity speakers over the years. I didn't care for any of them except the Kappa Series components.

really? I couldn't be happier. and some of the numbers thrown around up there are more than i spent on my fox, so it just seems crazy to me to spend that much if you can be happy with some 3.5's for roughly $70. but i suppose different strokes for different folks. hope you find what you're looking for!

I'm pretty sure the high dollar speakers posted above were a joke. I know mine was.

Yea I had those premium speakers too. They were premium alright, premium waste of time.

You can still find these on eBay and Amazon.com in good supply and at a low price. I just bought a pair that was brand new in the box for only 40.00 including shipping.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast