Close

Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    well I know the O2 sensor harness is it out of the 95 GT parts car but that was an auto, and I already installed it, so I guess now I have to remove it and get the right one
    Do the wire colors match up? You may be able to repin it. I actually haven't seen anything on the '94-95 harnesses, so I'm not sure. With the 1990 model year harness, all you need to do is move one side of that jumper so it matches the manual connector. If your connector plugs right in, I would have to imagine you could do the same.

I found this pinout for the '89 O2 harness actually posted in Dean_T's build thread.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  39.0 KB
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Do the wire colors match up? You may be able to repin it. I actually haven't seen anything on the '94-95 harnesses, so I'm not sure. With the 1990 model year harness, all you need to do is move one side of that jumper so it matches the manual connector. If your connector plugs right in, I would have to imagine you could do the same.

I found this pinout for the '89 O2 harness actually posted in Dean_T's build thread.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  39.0 KB
    I just ordered the tools to remove the pins, Ill have a look to see if I can move them around
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Okay, the weather is warming up (maybe 60 tomorrow!) and I've started ordering parts to get the excitement level up. Even though I already have a massive pile of parts to put on I haven't touched . Not only will I be replacing the short block, but also re-doing some things with the clutch so that I have a lighter pedal. I think I'm going to get a Maximum Motorsports cable, which is supposed to make all the difference in the world just by itself, and then bolster a few other things so it stays nice for a long time, a new steel bearing retainer and quality throw-out bearing. I've also been planning to replace my h-pipe with one that has more joints for easier fit and provision for a hanger at the trans crossmember.

Maybe I can eliminate some of the rattles on this thing. I plan to add some cats to it also not only to get me in better with mother earth, but also hopefully to quiet things down. I have some resonators picked out too if they don't do the job enough.

On the computer front, I'm finding that a Cobra computer is not available outside of ebay. And if you buy one there, you will pay. Oh yes, you will pay. I found out, the SCT chip cannot monitor sensors like I thought. So I suppose Moates/Quarterhorse is in the lead there. And, if I go that direction, we're probably looking at Megasquirt money. So, I guess I'll just hang the parts on I'm planning to and see how my existing ECU likes them and go from there. I had a friend contact me and say I'm making too much of this tuning thing. So, it will be an interesting ride.

Hold on to your hats... So far I've ordered... a water pump/front cover bolt set and... a pilot bearing! WOOOOOO!!!!!! can't wait!!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 03-22-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

OH YES......OH YESSSSSSSS did I pay for an rebuilt A9L computer ($310.00) mailed but WTH?
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

OH YES......OH YESSSSSSSS did I pay for an rebuilt A9L computer ($310.00) mailed but WTH?
    Great, isn't it?!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Aint that the truth!
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Engine is out of the crate and on the stand. So, that's something.

I want to paint the block before I start on anything else with it yet though. It's not quite warm enough to do that yet. I think I might rebuild the proportioning valve first and see if i can finally slay that dragon (air STILL in the brakes). That would be a nice win, but also maybe a possible way to start the season with disappointment. We'll see. This coming week is spring break, and we're going to spend some time finishing up the spring cleaning after which I'll feel much less guilty about hiding in the garage all the time. I also need to get the parts in to put my air compressor back together. It leaked oil all last season, and I finally looked at it the other day. It's the pump shaft seal. So, parts were ordered, and now we wait.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Had a little car time yesterday so I decided to mock up my fender well silencer that I probably won't end up using.

Looks like I'll need to grind down those brackets in there from something or other Zephyr related in there above the bottom mount to make it fit right. Need air tools for that though.

I also took a minute to swap my C&L MAF for the Cobra one. I think I'm going to do the proportioning valve next, and the rest of the car is pretty much assembled and driveable, so I'll be able to verify that repair right away.

Who the hell designed that air cleaner box? That thing is just a b***h to try and get everything lined up and the clips on!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

My air compressor parts showed up right on time, but then I proceeded to break an even more expensive part. So, now we wait for THAT part to come.

I think I might be a bit of a klutz...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

You might put that silencer back in the closet. When the Fox bodies were new, this was the first thing removed (robs a few HP), along with Flowmaster Mufflers.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Fastlane View Post
    You might put that silencer back in the closet. When the Fox bodies were new, this was the first thing removed (robs a few HP), along with Flowmaster Mufflers.
    Yeah, probably. People don't seem to think much of them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Hey Brad, Im installing a 90 dash into my capri... are there any problems that I will need to take care off?
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Hey Brad, Im installing a 90 dash into my capri... are there any problems that I will need to take care off?
    Not much to know, it's pretty easy! The bottom mounts near the kick panels are the same. The top mounts, you need to make a small change. The brackets on the body are horizontal for the early dash, and angled 45 degrees for the later dash. So you just bend them down a bit. Some won't line up at all and others you just need to drill new holes.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

great thanks for the information
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

So, pretty significant day today. I finally got my stupid air compressor all put back together and working. Hallelujah!

Then I had a bit of a saga with my proportioning valve rebuild

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1903851

Yep, so not sure what the next step is. It'll have to wait for another day.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Not much to know, it's pretty easy! The bottom mounts near the kick panels are the same. The top mounts, you need to make a small change. The brackets on the body are horizontal for the early dash, and angled 45 degrees for the later dash. So you just bend them down a bit. Some won't line up at all and others you just need to drill new holes.

That is some good info. I too will be converting to the mustang dash and console setup. Why should I be without a decent speedometer and mileage tracking? As well as gauge cage options, etc? I just found a donor and picked it up yesterday. Thanks for that info!

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    That is some good info. I too will be converting to the mustang dash and console setup. Why should I be without a decent speedometer and mileage tracking? As well as gauge cage options, etc? I just found a donor and picked it up yesterday. Thanks for that info!
    You're very welcome. Just when I thought your car couldn't get any more awesome. Feel free to ask questions if you need to guys.

'Nother setback with my stupid brakes. Cross threaded the stupid proportioning valve I just got done rebuilding. Man, I can't wait to dance on the grave of this (brakes) project!!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The plan is starting to come together. I pulled the trigger on a Cobra computer, and my tax refund showed up so I ordered some parts. That's always a good day! Lightweight flywheel, new harmonic balancer, a pair of catalytic converters, Maximum Motorsports clutch cable kit, and other miscellaneous stuff all on the way!

Had a little time the other day, so I spent some of it finalizing my brake line arrangement where the proportioning valve used to be, and I'm about ready to get the brakes bled.

Notice how sloppily my coil bracket is sitting there. I was considering doing something about that, but I'm not sure what to do yet. The stupid weather isn't cooperating, so a brake and cruise fix test drive is a ways off. We had a 3-day mid-April blizzard and the temps are still pretty low. I haven't disassembled anything on the engine side yet, so the car should be ready to start right up, despite an engine swap being next on the agenda.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    What's old is new again (maybe ) https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-sedan-future/

Mike
    That really surprises me. I couldn't see any reason Lincoln would keep sedans around after Ford sh**canned all of theirs. If Hackett says Ford has nothing to lose by doing that, Lincoln certainly doesn't. Maybe Lincoln's image as a legitimate luxury brand actually DOES matter to someone over there.

I thought at most they'd keep one sedan, but I've heard rumors now of both a possible Continental and Zephyr. I'd love to see both of them stick around and even both go RWD. Although... I don't see why they couldn't build a FWD Zephyr in the factory that build the Edge.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Brad, I am going to be using the same factory coil mount on my 85. I bought a cheap but effective rivnut tool off Amazon. I think I got the bracket matched up to the factory holes and just opened them up and installed the rivnuts. Piece o Cake. It's nice that they pretty much made the same underhood area from 79 to at least 96 if not 2004. I've found a lot of SN-95 brackets and such fit pretty easily.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Well since I've only had a little time here and there and it's been too cold to paint stuff until recently, I finished up a couple of little things I decided to do yesterday. First, we have the new coil bracket.

You can see, where the old one was cut, the new one isn't, and now has a nice home where the proportioning valve used to attach. It's been a LONG time now, but I think what happened was, I cut the old one so that it didn't interfere with the valve. Yep, that was another one of those things no one else would care about, but I felt the need to correct. I took the opportunity also to replace the coil connector. When I unplugged the old one, there was a cloud of corrosion dust. Not so good for proper conduction of electricity. Looking at my old coil though too, I can see the (electrode?) where the coil wire attaches has some chunks missing out of it. The car starts and runs, but I think it could benefit from a new coil also. Again, piddly stuff, but it can really add up after a while.

Secondly, I installed the Cobra ECU I got from Conmech. The (old) engine fired right up, and seemed happy!

I still have yet to bleed my brakes and drive it. Getting there...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Glad things are moving forward.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Well, I put off bleeding and finalizing the brakes project for 3 weeks, but yesterday I couldn't find any excuse not to work on it. And it went... about like it usually does where me and a hydraulic system are concerned. This system hates me, and the feeling is mutual. Bled the brakes for a while, and it seemed to me like I was still getting small bubbles. I went to check my fittings I'd put in place of the proportioning valve. They were wet, so I re-tightened everything. Went back, and bled some more. Still bubbles. Looked at the fittings; now the rear side was VERY wet. Yep, I had relieved one of the adapters of its threads. I had something in my stash of extra fittings to put in its place, but using it meant I needed to reconfigure both bottom lines going in, front and rear. And at this point, I was out of brake fluid, so I was done bleeding for the day. Sum total of all that work and frustration: jack squat. We'll go at it again another day, I guess.

I needed to do something else after that, so I masked up my new shortblock for paint.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Heres the final look with my new dash
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast