Close

Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Starting to do some planning for the spring. I grabbed a '94 Cobra MAF in preparation for having the engine tuned. But... since I apparently just LOVE to make more work for myself, I now see that the '94 MAF housing mounts differently than a Fox one.

It bolts horizontally into this big ugly housing in the green circle.

Rather than mounting vertically to a bracket Fox-style. Soooooo....... I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that yet. Ugh.

Besides that, I'm trying to work up the confidence to do this shortblock swap. The weather is going to get really cold again next week though, so I have some time before that happens. I reached out to a guy I know that does tunes. He says he likes SCT tuners. I've been talking about it here.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...16#post1901216

I'm planning some exhaust work before the tune happens also. I'm adding hi-flow cats as well as probably resonators to the H-pipe. While I'm at it, I thought i would clean up the catbacks where the non-stainless extension pipes were added. They've become rusty and ugly. The ones under the car by the mufflers, I may simply paint. The ones visible below the rear overhang.... I think I might just cut out and replace all of that.

get some new polished stainless pipes the right length and clamp them on right at the axles where the pipe straightens out. The problem is, I like the slash cut of the Flowmaster catbacks. I have yet to find stainless pipes I can use there with the slash cut. And also, I'll need to invent a new way to hang them. I've never been happy with how they are hung now off the bumper mounts. They are loose and rattle. I may have to have those cuts made and some mounts welded on at a shop. But I've heard exhaust shop labor is not cheap. Not sure what I'm going to do about that either. I was hoping to find a nice pipe I could just slide over the whole mess, but I don't think such a thing exists.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

My tailpipes are cut such that the extension would need to reach back to at least 26-28". Ideal would be closer to 32".

Speedway carries something that seems like it would work well for me. It has expanded ends so I could just slide them right on. Kind of pricey and about a foot too long, but it's the best option I've found so far.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stain...nch,50139.html

I can't find anything that already has the slash cut that would be long enough (No such thing as a 32" exhaust tip). I'll have to go to some physical stores and see what I can find.

I also considered getting an additional set of Mustang tailpipes and cutting and pasting. New they are $3-500 so that's a no go. I'll have to keep an eye out for used ones.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Purchase a pair of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-OD-409-...MCE:rk:42:pf:0

Verify your length needed. Then either get a buddy with a chop saw or band saw to cut the end at a 45 Degree angle, deburr and install. You could also probably get a local muffler shop to cut them for a few dollars too. Just make sure you actually need a 2.5" ID for the expanded end to slip over your current setup.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Purchase a pair of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-OD-409-...MCE:rk:42:pf:0

Verify your length needed. Then either get a buddy with a chop saw or band saw to cut the end at a 45 Degree angle, deburr and install. You could also probably get a local muffler shop to cut them for a few dollars too. Just make sure you actually need a 2.5" ID for the expanded end to slip over your current setup.
    That would work nicely, thanks!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alright, so to save some time this season, I decided to just grind and paint my existing tailpipes. A friend said he's had good experience doing it that way. I do still need to change the hanger situation though.

And the MAF debacle continues. I ordered one that is "identical to a '93 Cobra's 70mm housing with a sensor calibrated for 19# injectors". As it turns out, it's a 70mm housing from a mysterious source (I can only guess NOT a '93 Cobra), and a Mustang GT's sensor swapped onto it. So, as a result, I'm going to swap the sensor from my '94 MAF onto it.

You can see the difference in this pic between the '94 and '93. I'm sure you could make the '94 one work, but I like the look of my stock '89-93 cold air setup and I would have had to do something different with the air cleaner, which I didn't want to do.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

So Brad.... (Love your car) but I have a question, I have a 86 5.0 5 spd california car and I got a motor from a 95 GT (that was an auto) but found a 5 spd that I installed. Now my question to you or anybody can chime in is can I still use the stock ECU (the harness was replaced with an 1989 GT ECU harness) so the mass air wires are not the problem its the ECU??????
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    So Brad.... (Love your car) but I have a question, I have a 86 5.0 5 spd california car and I got a motor from a 95 GT (that was an auto) but found a 5 spd that I installed. Now my question to you or anybody can chime in is can I still use the stock ECU (the harness was replaced with an 1989 GT ECU harness) so the mass air wires are not the problem its the ECU??????
    Do you know whether the '89 was manual or auto? Because that matters too. I guess there's no reason you can't run a manual with an auto's ECU, but you can't do the opposite. My '90 parts car was an auto, and I'm still running the ECU from that (A9P) and have been for years since I first did the swap. The harness comes into play because the Neutral Safety Switch does different things between a manual and auto. The O2 sensor harnesses have different part numbers between manual and auto, and the NSS circuit goes to different pins on the ECU. I THINK all you need to do is swap one wire from one spot to another, but I haven't looked into it in depth yet. I'll need to though because I'm looking to go to a Cobra computer and those are manual-only. I guess if you don't do this, damage can be done.

I don't know off hand if '86 California cars were MAF or not, nor have I ventured into the field of changing between non-MAF and MAF. So I couldn't say whether you could use your '86 computer.

Thanks for the kind words!

I gave the seller another chance to explain himself about the "identical to '93 Cobra MAF", and he decided to tell me it IS a rare '93 Cobra 70mm housing with a '93 GT sensor swapped onto it. Why would you say it's IDENTICAL to a '93 Cobra housing if it IS a '93 Cobra housing?! I totally don't believe him, but I guess it doesn't matter at this point. I have what I need.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The difference in the ECU's for the Fox era car has more to do with spark timing advance curve than anything else. Yes, I am sure there are a few other things, but the ECU doesn't control the transmission in regards to the AOD cars. Therefore you can use an automatic ECU with the 5 speed and vice versa. In fact, I know some racers were swapping the auto ECU's in place of the 5 speed units for some additional power or at least supposed power due to the more aggressive timing curve.

There was a difference in regards to the wiring harness IIRC that had to do with the O2 sensors, but I don't believe there was any difference in ECU pin outs. I am not 100% on the NSS so, you might need to verify that.

The 1988 model CA cars were the first to use the MAF 5.0 system. The 1989 model all 50 states got the MAF 5.0 in the Mustangs.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-28-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

the ECU harness is 89 or 90 mass air started here in california in about 1988, but dont know if my new harness is from 5 spd or auto but im running into a few problems here and there with connectors and different wires but here is the original ECU but do you think that it would be ok to use it with the mass air conversion?Name:  thumbnail (7).jpg
Views: 136
Size:  96.1 KB
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I don’t know about the later harnesses and computers but due to a strange series of events, my dad and I swapped computers in our factory fives. He has a manual harness with my automatic computer and runs an AOD. I have his manual computer in my car with a t5.
    10 years and no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the ECU harness is 89 or 90 mass air started here in california in about 1988, but dont know if my new harness is from 5 spd or auto but im running into a few problems here and there with connectors and different wires but here is the original ECU but do you think that it would be ok to use it with the mass air conversion?Name:  thumbnail (7).jpg
Views: 136
Size:  96.1 KB
    I believe you can make the SD computer work with the MAF wiring. Again you will need to double check your PIN locations to make sure everything matches up otherwise you could short out, fry something, or just plain not work well. I think there are only a couple of pins that are different or may need to be moved. I did a SD to MAF conversion many years ago on an 86, but I have slept since then.

If you just want to stay SD and want the correct harness for the 86, I have a full dash and front main harness from an 86 5.0/AOD, PM me if you are interested. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I believe you can make the SD computer work with the MAF wiring. Again you will need to double check your PIN locations to make sure everything matches up otherwise you could short out, fry something, or just plain not work well. I think there are only a couple of pins that are different or may need to be moved. I did a SD to MAF conversion many years ago on an 86, but I have slept since then.

If you just want to stay SD and want the correct harness for the 86, I have a full dash and front main harness from an 86 5.0/AOD, PM me if you are interested. Good Luck!
    I have already committed to mass air from the 95 GT, the 89 ECU harness already in but its not been easy
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I'm glad you guys are talkin together, Joe, Brad, Trey and the others here.

Brad, this post is a credit to you for nutting out what drives others Nuckin Futts.

The Ford wiring looms are unique because they can gender bend any type to suit pinout changes. FoMoCo had masters from IBM who could re rig any thing to go with anything. Techies are kind of like Three Lawyers at the bottom of a lift shaft (A good start!). It seamed like a good idea to take 'em out until you actually need one.

As was said by Ross Herrod everything clips together, but you have to re-establish the existing 60 Pin pin-outs, and make sure the O2 sensor pin 46 is right for your O2 loom.

You do that by rehashing existing posts, and getting it clear.

Its frustrating, but you'll do it because three of four guys that have done it before can help you get through it.

XC, thank you, I appreciate it.

Navycat, you may be able to figure out what your harness is manual or auto by looking at a couple of things. At the connector between the O2 sensors/low oil switch and main harness, look for this difference.

I'm not 100% sure 89 is the same as '90, but it's something. The connector is located below the MAF sensor. Secondly, at the transmission, my manual trans harness has a red/blue jumper at the wires that would normally go to the neutral safety switch. Then there are the wires for the reverse lights and VSS. So, that would be a big clue too.

No luck finding a Cobra computer for a reasonable price so far...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Did a SD to MAF conversion on my 86 years back. I had to add wires for the MAF, splice into wires for the vehicle speed sensor, etc

You can ignore the MAF wiring and cap the plug

You can move the wires - I believe they were for a vain air sensor or EGR related if I recall correctly. I’ll look at my conversion doc when I can

Posting pictures of the Speed Density to MAF document I wrote when dealing with the SD to MAF conversion on my 86GT. My car is a very early build date so there are a lot of wire color related challenges compared to the typical - or even 86 - MAF conversion docs.

Also for whatever reason my A9L only sends around 9.5v or so to the fuel pump relay before startup. After conversion the car immediately fired and died and would not start again.

I changed the pump relay to a generic part number Autozone carried and that solved it. Every now and then I have to tap on the replacement relay if I don’t hear the fuel pump kick on before I start it.

I figure if I share this knowledge it may help someone else with their conversion. Also reverse the info and you can swap back to SD even more easily than the original MAF swap.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Continued
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Good luck on your swap back to speed density

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    XC, thank you, I appreciate it.

Navycat, you may be able to figure out what your harness is manual or auto by looking at a couple of things. At the connector between the O2 sensors/low oil switch and main harness, look for this difference.

I'm not 100% sure 89 is the same as '90, but it's something. The connector is located below the MAF sensor. Secondly, at the transmission, my manual trans harness has a red/blue jumper at the wires that would normally go to the neutral safety switch. Then there are the wires for the reverse lights and VSS. So, that would be a big clue too.

No luck finding a Cobra computer for a reasonable price so far...
    well I know the O2 sensor harness is it out of the 95 GT parts car but that was an auto, and I already installed it, so I guess now I have to remove it and get the right one
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Navy, I may have an A9P becoming available soon, so that may make things simpler for you.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Good luck on your swap back to speed density
    Oh no, Im still going Mass air. the biggest problem im having (well one of them) is where the ECU harness connects to the main harness under the M/C and now what I see is the green connector near the computer is the next problem as there is no green connector by the ECU
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Navy, I may have an A9P becoming available soon, so that may make things simpler for you.
    cool yes thank you
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Hey Brad, I just realized that I was stealing your thunder from your beautiful build..... didnt realized it till now
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Hey Brad, I just realized that I was stealing your thunder from your beautiful build..... didnt realized it till now
    That's okay, it happens. I derailed that Big Block Mustang thread bigtime.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Yea, very guilty on the big block thread and ..... well .... many others.

Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast