Close

Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Had a thought I haven't had about this car in a LONG time. "Hey, I did it! It works!"

I decided to install the Illuminated Entry Module today. The way it's supposed to work is, when you lift up on the door handle, the module is supposed to tell the dome light and these cool little lights around the key locks to turn on for something like 20 seconds. Well, since I have remote power locks, I thought it would be a little pointless as intended, so instead, I wired it so that when you hit the unlock button on the remote it turns on the inside lights (along with the key lock lights). Just like a modern car does! I wired it up today and it works! I didn't know if it would or not, but it does!

So then, I quit while i was ahead. The other stuff will have to wait.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

That's cool. Where'd you get the module? I don't think I would bother with the locks, but having the dome light come on is cool. Oh wait, I would need to have door locks that worked. And a car that was wired for power.

I went out yesterday and put the passenger side lights together. I had to solder the turn signal back on and make a new ground harness for this side. I got over to the drivers side and did everything except make a ground harness. I just wasn't feeling it or feeling too good actually. But I stayed at it about an hour longer than I was going to, just to get some more done while it was reasonably cool. It was only about 82 in the garage.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

I got the module, and everything else from a late '80s Crown Vic in the junkyard. Couldn't find the key though so that's why I had to rekey the lock cylinders.

Yeah, it's nice the weather's getting cooler finally. The past few summers have been brutal.

I did a good bit of tight space soldering with the past few projects. I think I'm done with that for a while, haha.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 09-24-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I hope I am about done soldering 10g. It's a pain even with the Weller. I gave up. If I have to solder 10g I use a torch! Get it guuud n hot and remove the torch and feed the solder in. Of course I am using metal crimp sleeves, so the solder is just insurance.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Started doing a few smaller "tinkering" type jobs on the car. First, I diagnosed my amp power problem. Turned out to be something easy. The power leads had fallen out of the fuse block. Probably because of the master cylinder replacement job. I put them in more securely, and problem solved. As always, when i turn on my stereo system for the first time in a while and I've been doing other work around the car, I found some other things that need doing. The right front tweeter wires had come undone because of the fiddling with wiring in the passenger footwell. My left rear speaker is also out, but it's not the wires at the speaker itself, so I want to make sure it's not the RCA inputs at the back of the deck before I pull the back seat out and look at the amps themselves. But my stealthy built-in ipod input is working nicely!

So then I went to see why my stupid washer pump wasn't working. The hose seemed to have a kink in it, so I shortened it and attached it more securely. I found that there's a "washer test connector" under the hood. I'd found it before, but it looked to me like a pin that had fallen out of some other connector. I'm glad it's actually supposed to be like that. I got nothing from the pump when I tried using the dash switch, but when I used the test connector, it worked. And then continued working after that with the switch. Not the way I usually like to fix things, but I guess it will do. At least now I know it's not the hose if there's a problem again.

While I was in the driver's front wheel well, I thought i would take a look at the cruise actuator. I didn't see any problem there. I think the problem is actually something under the dash, which I didn't feel like dealing with today.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I figured out the problem with my LR speaker is the RCA output on my deck. I'm pretty sure I knew that before but then just forgot. I wrote it down this time, haha. Did some shopping and found out new decks pretty much cost the same now as they did 10 years ago when I bought this one (unless you want a double-DIN touch screen). So, cheaper! I might get a new one. Or not. We'll see.

I also redid the coverings on my rear shoulder belt pods. I used fabric stitch tape this time, so it should work better. The old ones were starting to peel off.

I bought a phone bracket so I can have my smart phone out while i drive. I've gotten used to having a map display up and temp showing when i drive, and I miss it in the Zeph, haha.

Tomorrow, I'll see what i can figure out with the stupid heat. And maybe see if i can determine the status of my brakes, whether the rears are all good or not. I'm not 100% confident they're getting enough pressure.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, here's the problem with the heat. Thanks goodness it wasn't some weird problem with the cooling system under the hood!

The issue now is, I can't tell if the cable is broken or what. I probably could just hang it back on there, but it wouldn't move the door to the correct position. I see there's some sort of adjustment according to this:

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...s-help.722738/

But if you look at buying a new cable, it doesn't seem to come with that clip. I see no sign of the clip on mine. So, now what?

https://www.foxresto.com/1987-93-Ble...-p/3285009.htm
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Apparently I'm missing this doohickey.

I guess it's a self-adjuster. Probably can't fudge something like that. I asked for a picture on FB of what that area is supposed to look like.

From what I can find these things are not really out there to buy. Base part number 18B561. The only one I can find has a D7 prefix (1977 model year). Could be the right one. Could not. 1977 would make sense for the start of the Fox run for 1978 model year... But a lot of changes were made to the HVAC over the years. I think even the original dash switched from cable for everything to cable for some things, vacuum for others. Then the dash changed entirely... New design clips every time?... or not?

Maybe there are multiple sizes of those used for a variety of things all around the car, or maybe just a few... I don't know. "Did you like having heat? Because you don't anymore."
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Took it for a drive today and we're 0 for 2. Cruise still doesn't work, and I took it down a dirt road to try some panic stops, and it stops perfectly straight. But, isn't that good? No. Not when the adjustable proportioning valve is all the way open, giving us 1 to 1 front to rear. Something still isn't right.

Cruise discussion:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...49#post1892649

Oh, and my blend door clip from 4-Barrel Mike is apparently lost in the mail at this point.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, my "parts throwing" with the cruise didn't pay off this time. Servo, nope. Amplifier, nope. Turns out the cruise system is sensitive to whether you have a brakelight bulb out or whatever. You know what acts similar to that? Swapping in LED bulbs! I went back to Diode Dynamics and bought their recommended resistors for my LED taillight bulbs. Now that I've discovered the problem, I feel like someone told me about this in the past and then I forgot about it. Oh well, not the first time that's happened. Also, I don't really mind having hung some more new parts on the car since they will be more dependable in the long run. Since I'll be fartin' around with the taillights, I'll install my trailer light module at the same time and get all 4 brake lights functioning again (5, actually).

Other than that, I saw this pic of a Fox LTD's trunk.

I thought that carpeted lining on the sides and back of the trunk would fit nicely in my car and look pretty darn good doing it. As well as do some good for sound and heat control! So, undeterred by the possible rarity of the item, I advertised for one and found one immediately! I'm on a hot streak!

Still no sign of my HVAC clippy in the mail.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Still no sign of my HVAC clippy in the mail.
    I filled out the on-line form, specifying email response. Then I got a phone call from "No Caller ID" who left voicemail. It was from your hometown PO telling me that the package hadn't even gotten to Minnesota (I guess she checked tracking) and suggested that I check with my PO. Totally useless response.

I got an email asking me to grade the response which was mostly negative. Question: "What do you plan on doing?" "Assume that you've lost my package and that my money was pizzed away."

Sorry, Brad, I tried.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    I filled out the on-line form, specifying email response. Then I got a phone call from "No Caller ID" who left voicemail. It was from your hometown PO telling me that the package hadn't even gotten to Minnesota (I guess she checked tracking) and suggested that I check with my PO. Totally useless response.

I got an email asking me to grade the response which was mostly negative. Question: "What do you plan on doing?" "Assume that you've lost my package and that my money was pizzed away."

Sorry, Brad, I tried.

Mike
    I did too, haha.

Don't worry about it. I really appreciate the effort.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

So, I spent some time today making my heat sink setups for my taillight bulb resistors to fix my cruise. I had to make the brackets out of sheet metal and then attach the resistors. I decided to use rivets so that they would be less obtrusive on the side with the fins, and I wouldn't need to rely on threads cut in the thin aluminum. I found the heat sinks and heat transfer compound (the white stuff) on Amazon.

They are ready to install for the next day I get some time!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well... yep, I had ordered an NOS heat clip from ebay for a Mustang II. It showed up earlier than expected today. In a crazy, STUPID turn of events, the one that 4 Barrel Mike sent me that we thought had gotten lost in the mail a month ago SHOWED UP TOO!

At least now I have a spare, I guess... ?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Spent some time comfortably contorted over my trunk installing and wiring the resistor/heat sink assemblies today.

I put them in a spot where they should have plenty of air around them and not near anything flammable. I had a guy telling me the heat sinks might be inadequate for the task of keeping the resistors cool enough (too small), but the way I see it, these resistors are made for this specific purpose, and the manufacturer says nothing about a need for using heat sinks, just keeping them away from things that shouldn't get hot. Even hanging free. So, the way I see it, I'm ahead of the game. We'll have to see where my new LTD trunk carpet ends up in that area. I may need to cut some holes, we'll see. That would be okay.

I also installed my blend door cable clip. So, I have heat now, Hooray!

So, both problems I found on my long drive a few weeks ago, should be all fixed. The November monsoons are stopping me from doing a proper test drive, but I think all should be good. The heat works for sure, but just need to make sure on the cruise.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Wellllllllllll, that road test might have to wait until next season.

Temps have been in the 20s and 30s the past few days and we're getting snow that doesn't melt right away. I did bring the car up to operating temp today though. I got the opportunity to feel warm air blowing out my dash vents, so I was happy about that.

I never did install that taillight module like I had talked about. I tend to jump the gun and start working on the next thing before the first thing is even done. Not a good plan when you're working on the same system. I decided to try holding the brakelights on for 5 minutes to see how the resistors reacted. They raised in temp about 30 degrees. Maybe not the best test with ambient temps so low, but it'll be on my mind next time I get stuck in traffic on a hot day.

Anyway, I think this will probably wrap up the season. I might still do the proportioning valve rebuild or work on the new engine, but no more drives. Maybe I'll wait for a warmer day to put the car on stands. I put almost 800 miles on her this season though! More than any year I can remember!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Yea, the weather in the midwest is terrible.

Hell it's 32 in Memphis this morning. Could snow Monday night. WTF? It was 93 less than a month ago!

Where or what did you get those heat sinks from? I think they will be adequate. If you're really worried, get some small PC fans and mount on the heat sink side. Just enough to move air around. First, I'd turn the lights on for a while, then check the temperature. I doubt you'll need a fan. I am sure the mfg of the resistors wouldn't want a law suit for setting folk's cars on fire!

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Hell it's 32 in Memphis this morning. Could snow Monday night. WTF? It was 93 less than a month ago!

Where or what did you get those heat sinks from? I think they will be adequate. If you're really worried, get some small PC fans and mount on the heat sink side. Just enough to move air around. First, I'd turn the lights on for a while, then check the temperature. I doubt you'll need a fan. I am sure the mfg of the resistors wouldn't want a law suit for setting folk's cars on fire!
    Yeah, I'm sure you're right about that. I found the heatsinks on Amazon. Didn't even know where to start looking for them, haha. Browsed several before I settled on these. I might do that with the little fans, but most likely I'll just wait and see if there's a problem. This is what they're designed for after all.

Car is going up on stands if we can get a day above 20 here. I got a new stereo for it with my Best Buy rewards points to replace my old one with the broken channel.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  30.3 KB
    Has bluetooth calling and everything. So, I'll probably do that first because it will be fun. Then on to the other things. I'm actually feeling pretty good about the car's future, which is weird.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, it was sort of fun... until I got it all installed and was trying it out.

As I was trying all the channels, I found that I still had channels out. (SSSSSSIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHH) Well, moving on to spending more money to replace something I had been wanting to for a while, the RCA cables. Here's what I found.

Yep, one of them got smashed at some point. I've torn this interior apart numerous times, so it's not hard to believe. I got some nice cables from Monoprice for cheap. Waited another week and a half or so for those to come. Here's a comparison old to new.

I think it's a good thing. Anyway, I got those all installed and routed to my amps in the trunk. I went to push the head unit/ashtray assembly into its spot, and found that this new setup has a LOT more wiring to try and fit back there. So, I got it in and then did another test run. Now I had no front speakers. Gave up, went inside. Next day I took it back out. One of the RCA cables had completely pulled itself out while maneuvering back into its spot behind the stereo. Ugh. Reinstalled it, cut out some excess carpet in the stereo space, and did a better job of arranging the wires this time. Installed the stereo, tested it, all good. Now, I set about putting the back seat back in since in theory, I no longer needed access to the amps. The seatback fought me tooth and nail going back onto its bracket. Finally got it installed. I'd had the stereo on during this part. I was about to put in the last seatback bolt.... and everything but the subs cuts out. SERIOUSLY??!!!! I was p***ed but not surprised. This kind of thing happens with this car ALL THE TIME. I'll get most of the way done, and then something goes wrong, and I have to practically start over. Remember the power windows and locks fiasco that took me well over a month to iron out? Yep, same sort of thing. This car hates me. You wonder why I pretty much replace EVERYTHING in a system I've targeted as needing work, like the cruise control deal? It's because I'm trying to avoid that "ohhh sh**" moment that comes, well MOST OF THE TIME.

Anyway, today I go back out there to do some diagnosis. The stereo won't even come on because the battery is so low. Wait a minute... that must be it! I didn't screw something up! The magical car gremlins are not punishing me for my arrogance thinking I can fix this car (this time)! The amp shut down because it wasn't getting enough juice! Whew! Dodged a bullet there...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The car's been sleeping peacefully on its bed of jackstands. The other day I was letting my brain wander and I thought back to when I was considering adding a compass and temp display to the car. I had been looking at OEM overhead consoles with a display on them for compass and temp. The problem with those is,
    1) People tend to want a lot of money for them, even used
    2) I have no way of knowing if they are self contained with all the sensors and stuff I would need for the display to work
    3) They often have controls on them for things I don't have like a sunroof or things I already have elsewhere like maplights
    4) The ones that are common on the used market are from the late '90s, early aughts and have blobular styling that wouldn't go with the rest of my interior
    5) the shape of the car's roof they came from dictates their shape and probably will not match my car's boxy roof

... although the sunglasses compartment would have been nice...

So, I thought, what about a rear view mirror that incorporates those things? 85MUSTANGTGT's use of a period Ford Accessory for his remote keyless entry inspired me to take another look at dealer accessories. I know for a fact Ford dealers offered these around the '90s, and you can still find them!

In fact, Dakota Digital makes one! You can find these used, but they often don't include the wire harness because it's a junkyard just pulling the part off and slapping it on ebay intended for someone who just needs a direct replacement part.

But the new kits include everything you need! They can be had pretty affordably with compass and temp, but there's more options too. Some of them have Homelink garage door control on them. That would be handy too, but the prices start to get pretty high from here. The sky's really the limit here depending on what you want to spend. There's also one with a rearview camera display! How cool would that be to have on a '79 Zephyr with no obvious sign it's even there!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Glad I could provide some inspiration, Brad. Love what you've done with your car, really cool.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Brad: did you see this new product?

https://www.foxresto.com/1987-93-Mus...-p/3187102.htm

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Brad: did you see this new product?

https://www.foxresto.com/1987-93-Mus...-p/3187102.htm

Mike
    I got the email about that. I love the idea, but have to say their implementation was less aesthetically pleasing than I had hoped.

Still love the cup holders for the center console and plan on adding that to my 82 GT with my custom dash, but I think I will do something a bit different for my USB charging ports. Sorry Hijack off!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    Glad I could provide some inspiration, Brad. Love what you've done with your car, really cool.
    Thank you! I appreciate the kind words!

Mike & Trey, I agree. I have seen their version and don't think it looks as nice as the LMR one that I have. Although, it's pretty dang sweet they offer it MOLDED in black!

I WILL be adding a USB port to mine to work with my new deck, and will most likely put it in the ebrake lever seal slot, although I know that's not an option for everyone... who... y'know... has an ebrake lever there...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast