Close

Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

I poked my head under the car to see what I'm dealing with for moving the engine back and for the driveshaft loop projects. The loop looks to be a pretty simple deal, and it's self explanatory where it goes, despite it not looking like it in photos. As for moving the engine back, I think it will be very happy moved back. Things will line up better than they do now, in fact. I think maybe when we installed that k-member, we might have installed the engine wrong, haha.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Spent some time straightening my work area up, sweeping the garage and just getting ready for the season. As a way to get started, I decided to stick the "Electronic Fuel Injection" emblem on the trunk lid. I know the poll ended up strongly in the "No" category... but it's my car.

Then I had some time to fight with my stupid dome light & clock project. I tried several things and blew through about 6 fuses before I found the actual problem. That's right! I finally exorcised that demon!! Turns out, I had crushed one of the wires at the steering column bracket during a hasty re-assembly. Ugh. It's really nice to have that done. I think I'm going to just put the interior back together though rather than do the illuminated entry project now while it's apart. I'm anxious to get that engine moved back and the car off to the shop to have the engine work done. I might squeeze in the cupholder panel project too beforehand. Anyway, good day today!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alright here's the final result of the clock project. Put the interior back together today.

You like how the new footwell lamp illuminates how badly I need to vacuum? haha
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

Your interior is awesome.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Your interior is awesome.
    Thanks!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Had an interesting day of car work yesterday. First, I finally added some washers to the rear bolts on my k-member where the bolt heads were sunk in where I had enlarged the holes to fit the early fox nut plate. Kind of a safety thing, there.

Second, I went to move my engine back, as my k-member allows. I still think it was unnaturally far forward before. I had all sorts of things getting in my way. I rounded the bolt head on one of the engine mount bolts into the block, so i had to jack the engine up super-high to get it to move. Then things kept getting wedged because of how high i had the engine. Exhaust, hoses and things at the back of the intake and so on. Then I had to enlarge my shifter hole to make room for it to move back. Fun stuff. I pretty much had to quit right after getting the engine back on its mounts in its new position. Since, I didn't finish, no pics yet.

I could be wrong, but the thing looks like it moved back like SIX inches, rather than the ONE inch QA1 says those rear mount holes move it. My driveshaft is jammed all the way into the trans. So obviously that's not going to work. I'll find out more when i get back to it, but that's a bit frustrating. Should be plenty of room for that fan now though! Oh, and I ordered my Flowtech cam!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Progress today! Check this out.

Before

After

I call that a win! The Mark VIII fan fits. I think the engine went from unnaturally far forward to unnaturally far back. Oh well. Things are pretty tight at the back of the intake. But I did solve another problem. I got the transmission mount situation all squared away.

You can probably tell that the more rearward crossmember brackets were welded in. I had them added back in the day when I had an AOD. It allowed me to use a normal crossmember and bolt the mount right up to it. After I swapped in the manual, I stopped using them and used both original brackets. I thought about cutting the new ones out, but left them in case I ever did this very thing and moved the engine back. Thank goodness I did! I thought about cutting them out as recently as when I started this operation last weekend! (Whew!)

Anyway, on to the next issues moving your engine back causes. After I finish wiring up the Mark VIII fan, I'll need to evaluate what to do about the shifter migrating rearward, and the exhaust and driveshaft being too long. The exhaust I'm not worried about, that will be easy. But the driveshaft is another matter. It's an aluminum Explorer one, so that won't be cheap to have done. As for the shifter, I decided to do it right and get a T-5 tranny tunnel hump. LMR sells them new. And I decided to replace my lower shift boot with a new one. My old one is pretty torn up from having had to cover too much of the shifter because I DIDN'T put that hump in there. In my defense, I didn't even know the T-5 hump was a thing until long after I put all that together.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7277A-K/197...ssion-Hump-Kit

On a side note, every time I've unbolted my damned driveshaft I've thought about getting a proper 12mm 12 point universal impact socket to make my life easier. And then I wouldn't do it. Well today I finally ordered one. Hallelujah!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Finally something to show today. I've been picking away at making mounting brackets for the Mark VIII fan. I ended up making them out of some pretty stout angle iron.

I cut the excess off the tops of the screws and riveted the brackets to the shroud. Then drilled holes for the stock fan shroud mounting bolts.

The bottom brackets wrap around the bottom of the shroud. The stock overflow bottle fits like it belongs there on this fan. Also note that the fan takes up just about the entire height of the radiator!

You guys think i should cover that part of the radiator exposed on the driver's side there? I'm not sure what to do there.

Next up is the shifter and tunnel hump project. My driveshaft is ready for me to pick up tomorrow after that whole fiasco.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...09#post1880909

Wish me luck that it fits. After that, i just need to trim the h-pipe down and project: move the engine back is done!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

So the pic showing the driveshaft in relation to the tailshaft, is pre-move of the engine?

There's a pic in the discussion I linked in the last post above that shows it totally bottomed out. I had left the driveshaft bolted in while I was trying to move the engine back. Once finished, I looked at the driveshaft, and it was jammed all the way in. After I'd wrestled the thing out of there I found that it was actually 1/4" longer than the space it was supposed to fit in.

Before moving the engine back, the driveshaft fit great. It had about an inch and a half of slip yoke sticking out of the trans.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alright, well THANK GOD the new driveshaft fits. It was $100 more than they quoted me, they used hybrid u-joints despite the fact that I told them not to, but IT FITS. I'm never going back there again.

Here's a before shot of how the standard Explorer driveshaft fit before I moved the engine back.

And the new one. It seems to fit a little better, even. Finally some good luck with this.

Problem solved. On to the next one. I started working on the T-5 tranny tunnel hump. They send you rivets to install it, so that's what I used. As we know, I do not weld.

I did peel back the hushmat first though. The hump is sitting a little further back than it's supposed to, but I think it will be okay in relation to the console.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 05-22-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

In the past few days I've learned that my stupid driveshaft safety loop I just bought will no longer work on my car because of the engine being moved back and the stupid hybrid u-joint extra wide yoke I never wanted that the stupid driveshaft shop put on for me anyway.

Then I started buttoning things back up. Those engine mount nuts are just about impossible to get a tool on, so that was fun. Not even an open end wrench!

Here's an interesting comparison. Shifter before. Notice how because of the aftermarket shifter adjustment bolts it's intruding way far towards the radio.

Shifter after. To me, it now looks to be where it belongs. Weird.

Also, look what's NOT in this picture after hanging around in the passenger footwell for the past 12 years!

I finally deployed this super-expensive extension harness from ebay.

I went with a 4-footer. That seems like a lot, but it was JUST enough to move the ECU under the passenger seat.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well done on the engine shift. My goodness, you've turned it into the perfect ES Box that has beeen so well integrated with a proper engine and appointments.

Very impressed. Keep on the true path. Year 13 has been a good one with this ride.

As Basin Motorsport said in post#3,

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...92#post1874492
    and post #84

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1872371

About 20 inches or 1-2/3rds feet of wire is needed if you make your own 60 pin attachamanet. I guess five nights you could earn your company 65 dollars an hour, so 300 ping is chicken feed.

the IST 3 to 4 foot extension works.

I hope you had change out of 300 bucks. All the older EECIII Foxes used this kind of arrangement.

Fave picture is this....

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Well, my fuel smell problem SHOULD be fixed now. New gas tank, and many seals replaced. Last I heard, they'll start shipping Tokico at the end of July... so it should be any time now, I'll be able to put my new rear shocks in. The car rides so nice with the new stuff in though. The thought occurred to me the other day "this is actually fun!" haha. That's kind of the point, isn't it?

Still working on a highway speed vibration, but I'm pretty sure the source is the exhaust. Next, I have to deal with a problem with the brakes. It seems my rear Mark VII rotors don't sit flush on the axle flange. They are rounded around the edges. This causes a loud ringing when braking that is NOT okay. I figure I'll put some wheels spacers the right thickness in between there, and that should fix it.

I took a new pic the other day, and thought it was worth sharing!

Thank you for the kind words!

His bracket setup is really slick! I love that he used the original bracket too. Wish I'd held onto mine. Add another thing to THAT list!

The problem I might have figuring out how to mount the ECM is my through floor subframe connectors. They go right through there and raise things up. And my GT seats have some pretty low-hanging springs. I'll get some time to play with this today.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Technically you could suspend it from the bottom up inside the GT seat. I did that for a while with an amp when I had 3 two channel amps running my stereo. The amp arrangement made for a nice heated seat lower. Lol.

I may end up doing that!

These two springs I traced in red are making my life rather difficult at this moment.

They hang VERY low. Then add to that the fact that my new carpet is pretty thick combined with the pad. And then there's the through-floor SFC rail passing through there making the floor higher. If you put the ECM between the rail and the trans tunnel, that bigger spring is all kindsa up in its business. Anywhere else you put it, that smaller one is touching it. Not sure what my next move is. I did go to ebay and grab an original ECM bracket to use in some way.

Part of the problem is that with this car, losing any usability is not an option. I've always wanted it to function just like factory. No compromises. And that means moving the passenger seat back and forth pretty regularly to allow access to the back seat! Although, I guess at this point, my kids are pretty small and don't really need to do that yet...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alright, I finished up the last part of the moving the engine back project: the exhaust. The H-pipe was now too long. So I had to cut a chunk out of it.

I pieced it back together using these reducers and some clamps. Doesn't look the greatest, but it does the job.

So then, since it's not seen anyway, I decided to cut some of the carpeting away under the seat to make room for the ECM. I just cut away the part over the SFC rail. You can see towards the rear, the pad starts and it is very thick.

That did seem to make enough room to tuck under the seat springs. I incorporated a guard into my sheet metal bracket design to protect the ECM from the spring. This picture has the seat sitting down on its mounts.

Tomorrow, I finish up some little things from the move the ECM project and then I'm going to see if I can get the car going in time for a car show on Sunday. Still have to find that stupid fuel leak.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 06-01-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I'm just getting caught up on your thread again. The interior looks really nice.

Plus good job getting the ECM fitted

Thanks guys!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Great progress!

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnn nnnnnnnddddddddddddd coolant in the intake. Came out of nowhere. I have NO idea why.

I got things all put back together and I had been charging the battery to see how things were working. I wanted to see if the engine would run. it cranked a couple of times then stopped, i thought because there wasn't enough power, but it might have even hydrolocked. I'm so f***ing tired of this thing letting me down, I'm ready to drive it off a cliff.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Crap ! Well, hang in there!

The last time I had a white smoke problem I had water in intake and it came via throttle body EGR spacer coolant lines.
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-02-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Please tell me the engine isn’t locked up?!

No, it's not locked up. I pulled a plug, and it came out dry. i don't think it hydrolocked. It was probably just not enough power to crank the engine yet.

Thanks for the support; I think this was just a matter of having had a BUNCH of things apart all at once and not having checked everything. Although, the coolant thing does have me stumped. That's brand new, and I'm pretty sure I never had the EGR spacer off during this project. Ugh. Still not thinking that clearly about it yet.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast