Close

Page 18 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    Love your checklist. Mine is a whiteboard in the garage. Oh, and I hate how clean your car is.
    Haha, thanks.

Still haven't talked to Hose Wizards' Glenn directly, but i decided to type up the directions so they were easier to reference at a glance. I'm just not used to reading cursive.

In doing that, i found out, he says in no uncertain terms you should NOT use a thick aluminum radiator because your fan will not pull enough air across the condenser to cool the refrigerant enough. So, it looks like you, my lovely, are going to a new home.

Yes, that would be the super-nice radiator I JUST bought. Anyway, he also says you need an electric fan that pulls at LEAST 4000 CFM. I've spent some time on Summit playing with the search filters, and have found that there is no such thing as an electric fan setup that fits on a Fox radiator (24"W x 19"H) that pulls 4000 CFM. My current fan, a Cooling Components, Inc. one is supposed to pull 2500. This is our concern, Dude.

No idea what I'm going to do just yet. I guess I'll have to talk to the guy. In the meantime, I'm going to try an OSC radiator. They're supposed to be OEM quality with some improvements such as thicker cores.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-05-2017 at 03:49 PM.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Checklist? We don't need no stinking checklist. Or if you're more into sports than movies...

Checklist? Checklist? You're talking bout Checklist? ........CHECKLIST?

I might need to try that. It might actually cause me to have some kind of method to my madness!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Checklist? We don't need no stinking checklist. Or if you're more into sports than movies...

Checklist? Checklist? You're talking bout Checklist? ........CHECKLIST?

I might need to try that. It might actually cause me to have some kind of method to my madness!
    Haha, maybe. The downside of keeping lists is when you don't check a single thing off for weeks. That starts to get frustrating looking at the full list.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Hold on a second. I recently got ahold of a Mark Vlll fan out of a junkyard, and the thing will blow your hat off. My father in law has a 2800 cfm fan on his Vette, and he can't believe the power of the Mark Vlll fan. Brian at DCC has tested these fans at over 4500 cfm. As for clearance with your SVE radiator? I'm not sure. It should clear though.

And, it fits the Fox radiator just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    Hold on a second. I recently got ahold of a Mark Vlll fan out of a junkyard, and the thing will blow your hat off. My father in law has a 2800 cfm fan on his Vette, and he can't believe the power of the Mark Vlll fan. Brian at DCC has tested these fans at over 4500 cfm. As for clearance with your SVE radiator? I'm not sure. It should clear though.
    4500 CFM huh? Nice! Don't you want it for yourself?

The SVE radiator is going. I've agreed to sell it. It might not be the best plan, but what's done is done, and I'm not losing any money. I'm thinking of going to an OSC (stock style), but I'll think long and hard before i decide what radiator to go with. The SVE one going back on sale would certainly help me decide. I seem to recall the SN95 fan i used to have sitting pretty close to the water pump pulley, but i don't remember that well.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, i think as far as the A/C goes, i'm going to follow some good advice and install the thing with my existing radiator and fan and see how they do. Usually, I like to over-prepare (hence the aluminum radiator), but I'm finding some of the solutions that involve reworking a system i spent a bunch of money on just last year hard to swallow, so we're just going to let it ride for now.

In the meantime, I found a pretty good solution to my A/C-low-side-line-trying-to-occupy-the-same-space-as-my-strut-tower-brace problem. Check this out. It's a manifold for the rear of my Sanden SD7 compressor with outlets that swivel!

25 bucks! Now i just need to have my low side line altered and reclamped to mount horizontally! Problem solved!

Secondly, I've been thinking about some of my other things I'm wanting to do. This isn't even on my winter list, but what can i say, i'm easily distracted. Stymees'mont mentioned he's looking to do a cupholder setup for his car, and that got me thinking. I've never been satisfied with my cupholder panel i made for the center console. Let you in on a little secret, the cupholder is a yogurt cup. He mentioned you can find cupholders for boats, and sure enough, ebay is loaded with them! I swear that wasn't true back when i first made mine. This is the one i picked.

Stainless steel ones are more common, but i didn't think it would go well in my interior. I like this one a lot better because it sort of sets off my door handle trim, which has a similar look, chrome surround with black inside. AND I can wire the light to the old ash tray light circuit that's already there in the console!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-05-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

So, i found some pics that illustrate my problem with the low side line and strut tower brace. Here's the compressor. You can see how the lines are different than stock.

The strut tower brace runs right in front of the Explorer intake. Obviously there isn't one here, but you start to get the idea.

This type of manifold is out there, and was one method i was considering, but i wasn't sure there would be room for the lines behind. Looks like there's room with an HO intake, but the Explorer might just be different enough... This looks nice and clean, but he had to have both lines modified.

This one, it looks like he had the rubber part extended. Definitely not as clean.

This is probably the closest to how mine will end up. He added a 90 degree fitting to the original kit manifold and had the low side line modified.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-05-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, i discovered.... yet another problem.

That's right. My proportioning valve is sitting right where my stupid line coming off the receiver/dryer wants to be. So i get to move that too.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-05-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Woo hoo! Progress!

I went and got some brake line and bent up some new ones so I could move my adjustable proportioning valve. I think it turned out pretty nice! You might even say cleaner than before!

I moved it down under the pinch weld and closer to the right fender. I like it because the wire harness doesn't have to rise over it, like you can see it did before:

I also test fit the receiver/dryer with the factory bracket I had to reacquire, and all in all things are looking good! I cleaned things up a bit too by cutting out the last of the TAB/TAD wiring and taping that up.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-05-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Nice work. That prop valve move is clean!!!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Thanks! Can't WAIT to have A/C on this car, and I might just have finally done my last modification to the brakes! Next is install the swivel manifold on the compressor, and then A/C is on hold until spring when i can go get the low side line modified. Then I'll start on the fuel pump swap and rewiring the power distribution.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I had a dual fan set up from a dodge intrepid on my 93. I still have a New shroud with 1 brand new fan I would give to you if you want to play with it. It had to be very slighly modified to fit. I had them as key on all the time and they pulled a lot of air.
    1984 Predator GT302 #4S0102 - Complete rotisserie and put back to stock
    1979 Pace Car - 306, H/C/I, T5, 8.8, 3.73 - 288 RWHP
    1993 GT Vert - PROCHARGER P1SC, H/C/I, Built AODE, 3.73 - 421RWHP / 405 RWTQ - SOLD

Thanks! I'll be in touch! Going away this weekend though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Swapped A/C manifolds today. Now the A/C system is all done except for having the line modified and having the system evacuated and charged.

Here's a look at the Sanden manifolds side by side.

I've noticed that the A/C line between the condenser and evaporator gets pretty dang close to the header. I have a clamp holding it flat to the strut tower, but I'm worried it's still too close. Think i need to find some kind of heat shield for it.

Also, the modified pinion snubber that came with one of my lowering products I bought from Maximum Motorsports has been on my mind lately. I crawled under the car to see if i even had one to begin with, and that looks like a NO.

Seems like a pinion snubber would be a good thing to have. I think I'll look on ebay and see if i can find that bracket i'm missing from a Mustang. I hope the floors aren't too different such that it wouldn't fit... And it looks like i get to move my fuel lines AGAIN.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-05-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Found a Mustang pinion snubber. And bought it. I hope it fits.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well here's a few things I've been up to. First, i finally added some light to a dark, dark corner.

Then I decided to get my junkyard (ebay) pinion snubber ready to install. First, a look at original vs. MM

Ready to install!

Then, i wrapped that A/C line i thought was dangerously close to header heat with the Heat Shield Products "Thermaflect" sleeve.

Doesn't look the best, getting all bunched up on the curves, but maybe i can play with it and make it look better.

Then i installed a new center console bin latch from LMR. Nothing really to see there, but the lid latches now!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-05-2017 at 03:45 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

looks good!, I picked up one of those MM Pinion Snubber's too works great. Wrapping the AC line can't hurt anything and a lot of it is hidden by the Intake.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Nice work!

Well, some time ago i got the idea to do this from another user here, but apparently i never mentioned it in this thread, and it was so long ago, i can't remember who it was. So, I'm sorry to have not given you credit, whoever you are.

As you may or may not be aware, the Explorer intake does not have a provision for the salt & pepper shaker connector plastic bracket that goes beneath the intake trim plate. That being the case, you end up with a clusterf$%# like this:

Not exactly ideal for a guy like me who likes to have a tidy engine bay (believe it or not ). Well, thanks to that user here, i got the idea to add that provision yourself! Mark your area.

Get to grindin'

Then we come to the next problem. At the bottom, where the bracket wants to grab onto the bottom of the intake, the Explorer intake gets wider.

So, then you have to chop everything off the bracket below where the vertical rib ends. Not ideal, but it does the job.

Much better, eh?!

And yes, I'm procrastinating dropping my gas tank to do the work i really need to be doing before the season begins. Next thing today is to put up the rack i got for the summer tires while the winter tires are on and vice versa!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-05-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Got my tank pulled Sunday. I did a test and determined that the check valve in my fuel pump is actually good and holds pressure. But I'm going to upgrade anyway since I believe my engine combo and planned cam swap and tune will need more. I think I'm going to downgrade my fuel pressure regulator though. I've learned some things about performance market adjustable ones like my Aeromotive. They need to be built to handle such a wide range of pumps and pressures, they don't emphasize holding pressure for easy starts. Aeromotive recommends i extend the priming time as a solution to that, but I think I'm just going to go back to stock so i get that daily driver usability back. So, anyway I'm kind of excited about that, finally having the information I need to solve at least one of my nagging fuel system problems I've been fighting for years. And years. And years. It'll be a big win to defeat that.

As for my too much tank air pressure, fuel spitting back at me as I fill problem, I've learned that my filler neck may not have come from an '82 Fairmont as was first thought. It was already removed when i bought it and on a shelf with many others. From what I've seen, I'm starting to think I can use an '82 and up Mustang filler neck. Those CAN be had new. LMR and Rock Auto both have them. So, I might try that, I don't know. I still don't think it's what's causing the problem, but I guess it's interesting to know. I'd really like to verify my vapor/pressure relief system is doing its job. So, i guess next time I get some car time in, I'll see if i can do that.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Brad, if your tank is still out, you can easily check the vent line is clear by blowing compressed air into it. If you build pressure, it is plugged somewhere.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thanks I'll try that. I just hope I find something difinitive so I'll know for sure when it's fixed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I've had mud daubers make nests in open lines before so I know how frustrating it can be to clear the lines.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

As for my too much tank air pressure, fuel spitting back at me as I fill problem,
    All 3 of mine do that to me. I kinda thought it was a design problem magnified by new pumps flowing more.

BTW great build, and yes the salt and pepper look much better in their holder.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

Page 18 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast