Close

Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by danco86 View Post
    Gee, thanks Brad! Lol!
    Ya, I had a ton of starting/idle issues right from the get go. Which was weird since my build was so mild, so I was convinced I'd overlooked something or had done something wrong. The symptoms got progressively worse to the point where I could not drive it anymore due to the stalling. I think the adaptive strategy of the ecu was making it worse. I posted many threads on it, but every engine reacts so differently to mods on our cars, that the troubleshooting list is endless. Once you get the short block freshened up, the tune will be the reward to all the awesome work you've done to that zeph
    Thanks! I guess I just needed to learn that no matter how well it LOOKS like people are doing on their mods/improvements, everyone has probably gone through similar struggles to what I've had.

For some reason this reminds me of when I was a tech, I got a '97 supercharged Cobra convertible to change the oil on (yes I still test drove it, haha). It was a beautiful car, but the thing ran like total crap and the Check Engine light was on.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Thanks! The thing about cold air kits is, they all scream AFTERMARKET! I just don't think they fit the theme of this car.

And I went to 24# injectors. Made another nice mess for myself, so that I need that brown sample tube for the MAF.

I know this specific post is a little old, but I couldn't agree with you more (so I had to comment). I get that cold air kits work and are a cheap way to add a few horsepower, but they all look so bad (they're always so short and give off an import vibe) that I'd rather keep the factory air box and lack of a couple horses.

Your engine looks beautiful btw.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Mike1157

What I want to know is how comes you have this pretty engine bay now w/ that skanky assed water pump? Didn't you have that thing off when you changed the heads?

Wire brush?

Spray paint?

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    What I want to know is how comes you have this pretty engine bay now w/ that skanky assed water pump? Didn't you have that thing off when you changed the heads?

Wire brush?

Spray paint?

Just sayin'
    I was wondering if someone would notice. No, I didn't take the front apart at all during the head surgery. It'll be off next year though for the rebuild/cam swap. It'll be taken care of then.

That's actually an improvement. It used to be covered with grime.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 06-20-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Detailing day! I decided to just cut and polish the roof and trunk to get them on par with the rest of the car. They had gotten badly oxidized and were pretty dull. It worked out really well! I busted out my Porter Cable DA polisher for the first time. Here's the results.

Before

After

Pretty dang dramatic, I'd say! The shine came right back!

I'm really happy having spent the money to get the real polishing equipment and product. It works so well, I think everybody should do it! I think later in the summer I might try my hand at some wet sanding and see if I can't knock down that orange peel now!

My sample tube will apparently ship on Monday. Pretty annoying when I'm used to companies like Summit who would have the product in my hand in a matter of a couple of days, not more than 2 weeks.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Supporter

Nice work! I wasn't happy with the DA on the new paint job we did but it looks like it did a fantastic job on your car. What are you using for polishes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Nice work! I wasn't happy with the DA on the new paint job we did but it looks like it did a fantastic job on your car. What are you using for polishes?
    X2.

And isn't that still factory paint?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Thanks! I'm using Meguire's stuff. I'm pretty sure that is factory paint. Someone did a really half-assed repaint of the hood and top of the fenders, but nowhere else. The car does match its paint code though, 1G Silver Metallic, and the buck tag does not call for the ES two tone.

That's the thing about the snow belt. If you manage to avoid rust, the paint and interior hold up pretty well, unlike in the south.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Took some new pics today!

Slightly better engine pic, haha

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Looks awesome, Brad!
    It always blows my mind when I see the door of your car open to that aero interior.
    How do you like the svo wheels compared to the bullits?
    Last edited by danco86; 06-23-2015 at 05:53 PM.
    Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

Lookin good Brad.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by danco86 View Post
    How do you like the svo wheels compared to the bullits?
    Haha, well, the SVO wheels FIT, (whereas the Bullitts never did), and they allowed my to drop the stance and fix the ride. It rides and handles so nice now! And the car has an almost sleek look to it with the new stance and flat wheels.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

Brad your car is an amazing example. What seats are you using? My first Z car was the same color. Now my last F mont was the same color. and will be again.
    Looks like finding the original seats is going to be difficult.

Some more work today. Start up in 2 weeks. No exhaust except the shorties.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Quote Originally Posted by 48fordnut View Post
    Brad your car is an amazing example. What seats are you using? My first Z car was the same color. Now my last F mont was the same color. and will be again.
    Looks like finding the original seats is going to be difficult.

Some more work today. Start up in 2 weeks. No exhaust except the shorties.
    Thanks! They are '89 Mustang GT seats reupholstered in black vinyl to match the factory rear seat. I put new foam in them too, and they seem to sit higher for more of a proper F/Z seating position too. I'm sure you'd have an easier time finding Mustang seats. They would at least work temporarily for you. I wish I had my originals for you. They were in pretty good shape, and I'm sure they just went to waste.

It has a PERFECT black dash too...

Pretty exciting you'll be starting it up!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

When I was driving the car around town looking for spots to take pictures, I noticed the temp gauge was getting too high. Well, I figured out why yesterday. Not only was the fuse for the electric fan blown, it was MELTED. I know why it happened though, it's not a problem with the wiring or anything. When I was bubbling the radiator trying to top it off for the last time, I had an inexplicable eruption of hot coolant all over my battery and all the stuff nearby, including my fan controller and its fuse. The contacts inside got rusty, so I guess I'll replace the fuse holder. I just hope the controller didn't get fried too. It's always SOMETHING isn't it?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, I haven't driven the car in almost a week. The cooling fan issue is solved, but now I'm dealing with finding some damned 1/4" heater hose, which can't be had, for the EGR spacer since BOTH original hoses failed the day I fixed the fan problem. I know the hoses are old, but there must be something else I'm missing here. It's just frustrating.

My stupid MAC sample tube finally showed up, and I've installed it. Too bad I can't start the engine to see how it works without leaking more damned coolant all over my nicely painted parts, and everywhere else for that matter.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, I haven't driven the car in almost a week. The cooling fan issue is solved, but now I'm dealing with finding some damned 1/4" heater hose, which can't be had, for the EGR spacer since BOTH original hoses failed the day I fixed the fan problem. I know the hoses are old, but there must be something else I'm missing here. It's just frustrating.

My stupid MAC sample tube finally showed up, and I've installed it. Too bad I can't start the engine to see how it works without leaking more damned coolant all over my nicely painted parts, and everywhere else for that matter.
    Brad have you considered just plugging the lines? That's what most of us performance guys do... The only real reason to heat the spacer is for operation in cold weather when most of us aren't driving our cars anyhow! lol!

Really love your car BTW. The color combo is perfect, silver outside/black inside is my favorite!
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin'Montdude View Post
    Brad have you considered just plugging the lines? That's what most of us performance guys do... The only real reason to heat the spacer is for operation in cold weather when most of us aren't driving our cars anyhow! lol!

Really love your car BTW. The color combo is perfect, silver outside/black inside is my favorite!
    Yeah, I considered it, but I'm keeping EGR, so then I'd have the unused hose fittings hanging off the spacer then. It just wouldn't go with my "stock-looking as possible" theme that this car has. I won't really have an opportunity to take it anywhere before the clamps come next week anyway, so I might as well wait.

Thanks! Yeah, the color combo was a big contributing factor in my buying this particular car.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Holy crap, guys. I just went back through what I've spent on the car this year. It's about double what I told the wife I'd be spending. Be careful, those little $30 here, $50 there LMR purchases REALLY add up!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Holy crap, guys. I just went back through what I've spent on the car this year. It's about double what I told the wife I'd be spending. Be careful, those little $30 here, $50 there LMR purchases REALLY add up!
    LOL......we won't tell her if you don't.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Mike1157

So,...... How much was it?

$3200.

I'm going to tell her though. We don't hide things from each other.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Mike1157

$3200.

I'm going to tell her though. We don't hide things from each other.
    Good plan, then you won't have to hide the bruises she gives you because of it either.

I'd reconsider that. Unless you want it thrown back in your face the next time you try to bitch to her about something that she wants to buy that you don't think is either a good idea,wise investment, or something that she just doesn't need.

"Ohh, it's a stupid idea for me to buy xxxxxx, but it's not so stupid when you go out and spend 3000 on a car that runs perfectly good, and just sits in the garage anyway "

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    Good plan, then you won't have to hide the bruises she gives you because of it either.

I'd reconsider that. Unless you want it thrown back in your face the next time you try to bitch to her about something that she wants to buy that you don't think is either a good idea,wise investment, or something that she just doesn't need.
    Fair point. And she definitely was not jumping for joy when I showed it to her, but she did leave the budget in my hands. I guess I went a little mad with power. Let's just say I'm not getting my tinted windows this year now.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well so far so good with the 1/4" heater hose fix. Started the engine for the first time with the correct MAF sample tube tonight too. It was a little confused at first, but definitely seems happier now. And it idles without rolling! I'll do a little more shaking down over the coming days and then she should be ready for the trip to the fairgrounds for the big show this weekend!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast