Close

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Well I pulled the throttle body and EGR spacer off today. I don't think the spacer is cracked, and the gasket between it and the throttle body disintegrated as I pulled the throttle body off. I sure hope that's all it is. I'm going to pull the upper intake off (which is a PITA with the engine moved back, and the stupid strut tower brace), and investigate the fuel leak mess.

Here's some more pics I took the other day before I cranked the engine.

This one shows the ECM brackets, and that thing behind it is the crossover box for my "separates" front speakers. I decided not to bolt it down right now because I was sick of that after doing that with the ECM. It's always been fine, and I'm sure it will continue to be fine.

And this is the first interior pic WITHOUT the stupid ECM hanging in the passenger footwell!

I sat in the driver's seat and the shifter feels great where it is. Really looking forward to driving it, but who knows when that will be.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Pull all of your plugs and use the starter to spin the motor over fast for several revolutions then proceed with looking for the water source based upon where it shot out of

All holes — intake. One or two - head gasket, block, or head...

Good idea. Don't want that in there.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, I took the fuel rail out. I don't see any evidence of anything one way or the other. Injector looks fine... I guess I'll just go with my previous idea, take the overkill approach, and replace both the rail and the injector. And roll the dice with a used rail.

The only thing noteworthy was that the rail mounting holes in the fuel rail brackets were all lined up so that the holes in the intake were towards the bottom EXCEPT the one in the problem area. That one was towards the top, as if the rail was sitting lower there. I would think that would be a good thing. Don't know. Whatever...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I took the plugs out today and cranked the engine over. No coolant spewed forth from the plug holes, so I think we are good there.

I also moved the #1 injector to the #3 spot and vice versa. The leak stayed in the #1 spot, so I would say we are looking at a fuel rail. It's definitely at the top of the injector too, so it has nothing to do with the intake. I'm thinking I'll swap rails when the "new" one arrives and then maybe just keep the reman injector that's also on its way as a spare.

One if the bolt holes for the fuel rail brackets is a bit off; I have trouble tightening the bolt all the way, so I guess it will be a good idea to grab a tap and run it through that hole so I don't end up breaking the bolt off in the damn intake.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Stilllllllllllllllllllll waiting on that fuel rail. No communication from seller, no tracking info. Who knows if he's even sent it yet.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

ARG -- some people's children!

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    ARG -- some people's children!
    I know. The fool got back to me and said he was "out of town on business". WELL THEN DON'T HAVE YOUR DAMN AUCTIONS UP WITH DELIVERY DATES YOU CAN'T MAKE!!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I know. The fool got back to me and said he was "out of town on business". WELL THEN DON'T HAVE YOUR DAMN AUCTIONS UP WITH DELIVERY DATES YOU CAN'T MAKE!!
    I've had it happen. I'd leave the most negative feedback possible. What a JERK!

I did finally get my fuel rail the other day.

I had big plans for today though, let me tell ya. I didn't have that much time, but still. All I really got done was getting the fuel rail in. My replacement one seems to have been from an engine that sat outside or something. There were some rusty ridges in the connectors. So, I had to grind those away. Then I decided I'd replace the fuel rail spring lock connector o-rings on my AN adapters. Having no idea what size they are, I spent some time researching it to see if that info was out there. Found nothing. So, I "got in The Zone". They didn't have a part number for the correct replacement o-rings, but they did have some universal packs of o-rings. So I grabbed a couple of those, just in case. Both standard. I got them home and.... nope. Not one of them was right. More research, found a page on American Muscle that says they are 3/8" and 1/2". But is that inner diameter or outer? What width of o-ring? Don't know. Back to the damned store. Bought the only other two packages of o-rings they had. One was metric. Turns out that's what the right ones are, despite what it says on American Muscle. At least for my Russell AN to spring lock adapters, the width or the o-ring was key. They are 2mm thick, which falls between 1/16" and 3/32" standard. Of course it does. The diameters turned out to be 12mm and 14mm outer diameters in case you need to know.

But, this story has a happy ending. The accursed fuel leak that caused me to park the stupid car last fall is FIXED!!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Now drive it for a while before starting another modification.

Mike

Yeah, fer shure. Just have to put the rest of the engine back together and make sure there are no other issues.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, speaking of issues... I got the engine all back together and... the battery is dead. It even claims to have 13 volts, but won't crank the engine. I'm thinking that means it's kaput. I've been wanting to put a Motorcraft battery in since last season, but the Duralast defied expectation and kept on kicking. I guess the other shoe has finally dropped. I did make sure the engine isn't seized or anything too.

But that put me out of business for today since Motorcraft batteries can only be had at the dealer.

I went ahead and ordered the valve springs recommended by Mr. Curtis. My shiny new cam showed up the other day. I'm still weighing my options for what to do with the rest of Project: Shortblock. So far, I'm pretty sure I've settled on ordering a shortblock from FoxLakeRacing and doing the swap myself. So that means replacing several gaskets, having the heads checked and milled flat, and installing new lifters, pushrods, timing set, and water pump. I'm fairly sure I'll do some pedestal mount roller rockers too, but not 100% on that. If I do, it adds the expense of valve covers that will clear.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Never mind, reading is hard
    Last edited by roadkill; 06-28-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Well, speaking of issues... I got the engine all back together and... the battery is dead. It even claims to have 13 volts, but won't crank the engine. I'm thinking that means it's kaput. I've been wanting to put a Motorcraft battery in since last season, but the Duralast defied expectation and kept on kicking. I guess the other shoe has finally dropped. I did make sure the engine isn't seized or anything too.

But that put me out of business for today since Motorcraft batteries can only be had at the dealer.

I went ahead and ordered the valve springs recommended by Mr. Curtis. My shiny new cam showed up the other day. I'm still weighing my options for what to do with the rest of Project: Shortblock. So far, I'm pretty sure I've settled on ordering a shortblock from FoxLakeRacing and doing the swap myself. So that means replacing several gaskets, having the heads checked and milled flat, and installing new lifters, pushrods, timing set, and water pump. I'm fairly sure I'll do some pedestal mount roller rockers too, but not 100% on that. If I do, it adds the expense of valve covers that will clear.
    Hey Brad, forgive for being so slow in my response and attention to what you're doing.

When you say Mr Curtis for the cam, do you mean Ed?

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Hey Brad, forgive for being so slow in my response and attention to what you're doing.

When you say Mr Curtis for the cam, do you mean Ed?
    Yes!

I emailed FoxLakeRacing today and they apparently no longer do shortblocks.

Had to take some time off the build for hernia surgery. So, that's been fun.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Little late to the party, but Orielly Auto parts can order Motorcraft batteries. Price wise, they may be the same as the dealership, but it's an option if you want to skip the Dealer.

Definitely take some time to heal from your surgery that just sounds damn painful. Take Care!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Little late to the party, but Orielly Auto parts can order Motorcraft batteries. Price wise, they may be the same as the dealership, but it's an option if you want to skip the Dealer.

Definitely take some time to heal from your surgery that just sounds damn painful. Take Care!
    Good to know, thanks. I did get one from the dealer though. I had to just drop it in and go though.

Thanks, I've been taking it easy.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Wooooooooooooooo! Ordered my shortblock and engine parts!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Going a little stir crazy so I decided to hook up my new battery and see what that did for me. Got the engine to start and then took a look inside the throttle body. The coolant leak at the EGR spacer seems to be fixed as well, although the system isn't filled all the way back up yet. So, that's good. Engine was making a rattling noise, but it hadn't been started in at least 6 months, so I won't worry about that quite yet.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 06-30-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Went to burp my cooling system today since I lost a bunch of coolant over various projects I've been doing. It is truly astounding to me how much coolant these stupid cars puke all over the ground over the course of this process. I would bet it was easily 1/2 a gallon.

And oh, hey. Remember a while back I wanted to do something about my STUPID prop rod because of all the vital things it's TOTALLY in the way of?

Yeah, I never did anything with that, so I got to deal with that again today too. As soon as I got inside though, I went straight to Summit and got myself one of those No-Spill funnels. I used to have one back when I was wrenching, but I sold it, along with a bunch of other stuff, to pay off my tool bills when I quit. Up until now, I was determined to get by without it, but not anymore. Every time I burp this stupid thing, my battery gets doused with coolant. I'M DONE I TELLS YA! I'm not expecting it to be perfect though. I know better. I've seen those funnels slowwwly fill ALL THE WAY UP and then resume puking as if the funnel wasn't even there!! This process hates me.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I might even have already asked...where did you get that radiator hold down? I'm too tired to search back thru the thread. LOL
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

It's an SVE from LMR. I'm happy with it! I think it looks very much at home there.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, 'nother day, 'nother specialty funnel. But I'll get to that in a minute. My day out in the garage started as many of them do: looking for something I'd hastily stashed away somewhere to get it out of the way. This time it was oil bottles and filter for an oil change. I could swear I bought the supplies at some point, but damned if I could find them now. I looked alllllllll over my stupid useless tiny-ass garage. Not on any of the high shelves packed with stuff... not in any of the unlabeled boxes. I did find a box full of Mr. Potatoheads, but no oil. So, I got to go to the store to buy another set.

Then my next issue presented itself.

And yes, I did still manage to slop oil on the exhaust despite having my homemade funnel. So, after that was done, I stomped into the house and went online to find the funnel that would solve THIS problem. Well, I knew such a thing existed, but I was thinking of those ones that thread right into the filler hole. That's not going to work for me.

Add another point to the strut tower brace's "cons" column! Anyway, I think i can come up with something using an old filler cap and some of the pieces that come with the no-spill coolant funnel I have coming. Stay tuned. ASM does make a thread-in funnel that I think might still work, but it's $90. Nope.

But I did get a pleasant surprise today. I was running the engine getting it up to operating temp to check the coolant level again. I didn't have to add much yesterday, so that was suspicious to me. Anyway, I can hear this loud whine from the accessory drive. I made the connection in my mind thinking that it was coming from the power steering pump last year. Turns out, that's not the case. It's coming from the alternator! The thing sounds like a supercharger! Anyway, you might recall that my alternator is a 3G swap kit from LMR. I messaged them today to see if they could do anything for me. I've put very few miles on that alternator since installing it, but I had bought the thing in 2016. I did have the order number and receipt. I really didn't expect much, but as it turns out, that kit has a limited lifetime warranty! So, I order a new kit, they send it to me, then I send them back the old one, and they refund me. Brand new alternator, just like that!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Sometimes warranties actually work out! Good for you...good on LMR!

I know what you mean about tiny garage. I look at all the CRAP that is out there. It's hard to change oil in my drivers because the Mustang is out from the wall. I could put the tires back on the front and put it back on the dollies, but all in all it's just a pain. If I only had a 25x30 at least. I can't wait to move...although it's probably 3-5 years off.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast