Close

Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Yeah, it's tempting. It would take up floor space in my garage though. You may remember I have the smallest possible 3 car garage. Just barely big enough for 3 cars. And we do have 3 cars. And 4 bikes. And mower, snowblower, other kid crap, shelves for crap... and so on.

All we had time for today was getting the trans back on the jacks. It looks like the clutch disc did work its way off center too. So, if I fix that... it should help.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    I've got a pretty bad oil leak somewhere on my Farimont too. It's either a main seal or an oil pan gasket. Not sure I'm going to try and solve that one though before I sell it. Glad you were able to hunt it down on yours though Brad!
    My car too. Figure Ill fix it, when I pull the engine. whenever that might be lol
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Got the transmission in. Now it's NEVER coming out again. I'm almost done putting things all back together. I'm planning some car time on Sunday, so I should be starting it up again. Whether or not it goes for a drive depends on the weather. It's snowing right now.

I had my 8 year old boy out there helping me the last couple of times. He gets REALLY excited. I'm so glad he's interested. It's just, he does get in the way sometimes, and offers me unneeded updates at the wrong times. "Dad? Dad, you glasses fell off." I KNOW!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Haha, on the unneeded updates. You probably hate to admit you get frustrated, but...if I had an 8 year old son, very much I could see that being how well I'd handle it too. So cool that he's into it though!

I did my
    58 Vauxhall in line six trans and axle swap ,
    THM 400 350 HQ Holden engine swap,
    Weber 32/36 Carb to Hillman Hunter,
    Hyundai Stella to Mitsubishi Sigma engine swap,
    my Cortina-Mustang Cologne V6,
    my Falcon XE 250 in line Six Propane conversion
    and four 1969-1975 British Leyland Mini Four cylinder / 1966/1971 Austin America engine swaps on the side of the road in Halfway Bush, Dunedin.

My son was 1 for the 58 Vokky, then my beloved had two daughters, and from 1993 to 2001 when I left that address, My solution for kids was to invite friends over. I just deputized friends to child mind with the promise of free firewood to child mind while the Mrs was sent out shopping.

What I did is used the Works Consultancy Services, Opus, and Work Infrastructure company trucks and vans, the Toyota SR5 pickup, and then the Hilux foward control vans.

You kept the recipient vehicle titled/ rego-ed, and used the pickup and van to hold the donor engine or trans-pack in the engine lifter, and drop the whole shooting math in on the engine bay on the road side at 5 to 8 am before parking services came.

Maddest I ever saw was the packing service guy who read me the riot act on my 1974 1100 cc Mini Clubman....it had no front transmission or engine or wheels, I'd previously taken it out by lifting the front of the car by the SR5 pickup with a Cherry picker engine lift. He told me it was illegal to work on the side of the road with an un-road worthy car. I told him it was titled, and road worthy, just missing its tires...I ran into problems during the tire change. He got red as hell and left Parking Services, not before a nasty worded "no work on the side of the road, or you'll be booked" letter came in the mail.

That didn't stop me. I bribed the neighbors in a garage space for firewood deal. Made friends, influenced people.

The engine was under the toneau cover in the pickup.

Cord wood the new "old" currency, move over bit coins
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Yeah, it certainly is a different life. I spend a LOT more time at home now, but it's not "useful" time like car time. Until the past few years, I never felt like I could leave them unsupervised. Not so helpful for getting stuff done on the car. And since I live in the "alone in a crowd" American suburbs, there's no "village" to help me raise the children. Until this year, I really never even saw neighbors outside. It's a pretty new subdivision with a lot of young kids (as in babies). Most stayed inside their fortresses. Doesn't help not being the most outgoing person either. So, no firewood economy going on here. The wife works retail pharmacy, so she's gone for a lot of dinners, bedtimes and weekends.

I used to be able to wrench all night if I had something that needed doing. These days I don't have the availability OR the energy for that.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Got everything mostly buttoned up today. Put the new distributor in too.

This is what I had to put between the TFI module and housing. I think it's the right stuff. I had it from my taillight resistor project.

The distributor was very happy to slip right into its hole. At this point I'm fairly convinced I had the other one a tooth off. When I moved it over a bit, it lined up better with #1. We'll see when I start it up tomorrow.

It's been sleeting out today, so there was no rush to get it on the ground and running.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, this stupid car just says "NO" to 2019 and there's just no fighting that. Warmed it up to operating temp today, and found a very enthusiastic coolant leak. By the way yes, that would be where the NEW radiator hose meets the NEW radiator.

Oh my g** F*** this.

So, who knows why that's happening. Earlier when I first started the thing, I'd forgotten to look at the gauges. Having a new engine really overwhelms me, hence I make stupid mistakes like this. Anyway, I stepped away for a few minutes to let it warm up. Everything sounded fine, so I had no reason to suspect anything. Then I remembered the gauges, so I went back to look. The oil pressure gauge read zero. Apparently the car thought it would be hilarious to scare the hell out of me. The stupid gauge sender wire just needed to be wiggled and everything was fine. Until I found the leak.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The clamp looks a bit too far back to me. Like it is sitting on the barb of the tube by a hair, which would create a gap.
    1985 GT owned since new

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    The clamp looks a bit too far back to me. Like it is sitting on the barb of the tube by a hair, which would create a gap.
    Worth checking, thanks!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I don't think it was that close to the lip on the hose flange.

I did move the clamp farther away from it though, and swap it for a worm gear one. The hose flange was a little bent up too, but i was able to get back to round. The leak was still there when I first started the car back up, but tightening the clamp further seems to have solved it. We'll see how it goes. I couldn't see any damage to the radiator itself, but I'll defer judgement for now.

The exhaust was crooked and touching things it shouldn't be, so I wrestled with that some more today. At least the next setup shouldn't have this problem as much. Having the hangers in place at the trans crossmember should keep things where they're supposed to be.

The other thing I determined when I warmed it up yesterday was that my fan controller sensor needed some attention.

DCC's directions make a big deal about how the sensor has a high friction housing and WILL NOT fall out of the radiator fins... mine falls out of the radiator fins. May have something to do with my unwillingness to make a new spot for it in the fins every time I have to remove and re-install it. I'm not the type who ever gets to just do something once, so... now I've got problems. If I made a new spot for it every time I reinstalled it, half the fins would be wrecked. So what's the solution? Here's what I came up with. A rigid metal bracket with radiator fin tie bracket thingies and a grommet for the sensor to sit nice and snug in. This should hold it in, though I'm a bit worried the grommet might melt.

Had to call it a day at that point. I'm going to have to fight with the timing and distributor gear alignment more when I start it up next. The thing just didn't seem to want to stay running yesterday. Lots of surging and dying. Although it did let me set it at 12-14* BTDC and actually sort of idle. So I have no idea. It could have to do with the battery again though. I pushed the fan controller sensor back in while the engine was off, and the fan started up immediately. The battery didn't seem to like that too much.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

did you disconnect the spout connector at the tfi module when you set the timing?
    more foxes than cents

Quote Originally Posted by frinkspa View Post
    did you disconnect the spout connector at the tfi module when you set the timing?
    Yeah. The only thing I can think is part of the problem might've been the engine wasn't quite up to operating temp before I started fiddling with the timing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Here's with the SmartSeal clamp installed.

I had to spend some time cutting it so it would look decent. The size I bought was too big.

Anyway, today I charged the battery before I ran it. The engine had less trouble staying running, and things just seemed happier. It actually moved under its own power today for the first time since... May. So, big moment and stuff, I guess. Anyway, the fan and upper radiator hose seem to have cooperated too. So that's something. There was something in the chassis going squeak-a squeak-a squeak-a, so I have to determine what that's about before I drive it again. But after I came back and hit the garage floor with some Purple Power, I was out of time for the day. Probably didn't help that I got to waste an hour of my car time between 2 locations of Napa trying to find a 10mm swivel socket. Long story short, the earliest I can get it is Tuesday. How do you not have 10mm in stock?!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 10-26-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Today started with kind of a proud moment. My stupid lawnmower refused to stay running in the cold air (under 40 degrees). The RPMs were strangely low. I thought maybe the oil was staying too viscous or something, but I know VERY little about small engines. So, I popped off the air cleaner to see what I could see. First, the air filter was filthy, but that wasn't the problem. Next, I could see the throttle plate was wide open. I've forgotten pretty much everything I ever learned about carburetors, but I knew the choke was supposed to prevent some of the air from getting in when the engine is cold. So, I tried closing it down some. Sure enough it worked! I let the engine warm up some, and then went back out. I soon found myself with the same problem though. So then, I jammed a screwdriver against the throttle lever to hold it it closed a bit, so I was able to finish up.

Later, I got some car time, so I jacked it up to try and find the "squeak-a". Luckily it was just the dust shield on the passenger front brake. I'd bumped it with the engine hoist. So then, we went for a drive. This one was a good 5 miles. The engine seems to feel pretty strong, and the cooling system behaved. I think i need to tighten the clutch adjustment a bit. It jumped out of gear.

On one of the FB groups I follow, a guy posted a video of his engine making a noise. I don't really know, but I thought it sounded pretty much just like mine, so then I got really paranoid there was something wrong.

It sounds like maybe a valvetrain tick or something to me, but I am very unfamiliar with engine noises. The guy on FB says the problem with his is a BEARING for f*** sake. His is a new engine too.

You know, I am so tired of worrying about this thing. I thought it would be fun to have a new engine, but it isn't. AT ALL.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Just get in and drive it! you know you want to...lol get some miles on it and change the oil
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Brad, take this thing out and drive it like you stole it for a while. You'll feel much better with that big grin on your face!

Jonathan

Thanks guys. It definitely does feel stronger than before.

I've had some people tell me I could be right that might be something simple like an injector or a valve needs adjusting. If there's even a problem at all. Monday I was just super-paranoid it was something that was doing irreparable damage if I ran it. I am curious to see if it still pings when I get on it like my old engine did. And it's pretty dang cool to be able to take it out and drive it after SIX MONTHS of sitting in the garage. I always said I would drive it right up until the snow comes to stay, which hasn't happened yet.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Thanks guys. It definitely does feel stronger than before.

I've had some people tell me I could be right that might be something simple like an injector or a valve needs adjusting. If there's even a problem at all. Monday I was just super-paranoid it was something that was doing irreparable damage if I ran it. I am curious to see if it still pings when I get on it like my old engine did. And it's pretty dang cool to be able to take it out and drive it after SIX MONTHS of sitting in the garage. I always said I would drive it right up until the snow comes to stay, which hasn't happened yet.
    I'm very aware of this club you are in Brad. Nothing's easy, can't drive it after it went on the jackstands in June...I suppose if there's a support group needed to be started, we're the founding members.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    I'm very aware of this club you are in Brad. Nothing's easy, can't drive it after it went on the jackstands in June...I suppose if there's a support group needed to be started, we're the founding members.
    Yeah, thanks. It's nice to have you in the group.

I don't know how much snow you get down there, but here, once that comes, all the issues on the car pretty much become moot. It's often a relief for me when there's no longer anything I can do that will change whether or not I can drive it. There has to be something good about it doesn't there?

I'm having my friend who put the valvetrain together for me out to have a look at things next week. I might take it out this weekend, but we'll see. I'll be pretty busy.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Yeah, thanks. It's nice to have you in the group.

I don't know how much snow you get down there, but here, once that comes, all the issues on the car pretty much become moot. It's often a relief for me when there's no longer anything I can do that will change whether or not I can drive it. There has to be something good about it doesn't there?

I'm having my friend who put the valvetrain together for me out to have a look at things next week. I might take it out this weekend, but we'll see. I'll be pretty busy.
    We had enough snow to stick around and be enough to cover everything Thursday morning. Did have the 4wd on for a bit of the commute because it was that weird amount where some roads were treated and some weren't, but it was thin enough that tires could melt it and refreeze it. But it was all gone by 10am or so, unless it stayed in the shade. I know I can get a few good afternoons to drive in here in November, but I gotta get the thing driveable this Sunday if I want hope to pull that off.

Those factory spring clamps suck. They actually make pliers that will grab them and lock the tabs together which make it easy to put them on. However, trying to do it with slip joint pliers or channel locks is a PITA. And you can bend the clamp. How do I know? A good quality worm clamp works great. The cheap ones strip. How do I know? I know a lot of janky assed results from using cheap crap or not having the right tool!

I'm not sure what noises you have, but injectors can actually be noisy, the valve train is noisy, and if you don't have any metal in the oil, I would fugetaboutit.
    You could pop the valve covers off and recheck your lifter preload. If you have a rocker or 2 with excessive slop, it will be LOUD ticking.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Thanks, good to know I made a good choice on the clamps. I actually do have a few different hose clamp pliers. I remember back when I was wrenching, all it took was one time fighting with one of those to decide to buy the right tool!

Alright, here's what I'm hearing. I'd been afraid to post it before now because I was convinced someone would be like "OH SH**, YOU'RE F***ED!! Be gentle...

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoCGgcTn9__YvgY-Q-3PeKGI7YfN

Edit: link should actually work now.

Edit to the Edit: Dammit broke the link. Here's a new one.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 11-05-2019 at 10:13 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast