Close

Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1278

Nice. The advice I have is to always have some clean injectors on hand, as although Bosch quality is awesome, the injectors are compensated by Keep Alive Memory if they are more than +/- 5% out of range on the balance test. I always look for any video with more than 800 disllikes. ..

See this for cleaning injectors

https://youtu.be/aDvtzg-ThZs

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Glad to hear you had some progress
    every little bit counts lmao
    Haha, yep. You know, the more I think about it, the more I think it's just too soon since doing the idle reset for the cylinder balance test to run. So maybe I'll just wait until after the show in a couple of weeks and try again. It's got a nice lope on cold start, and seems relatively happy for now. It's not crazy lean while idling anymore, so that's something I guess. It probably won't blow up if I just drive it for a while. It would be really nice to get the A/C recharged.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Nice. The advice I have is to always have some clean injectors on hand, as although Bosch quality is awesome, the injectors are compensated by Keep Alive Memory if they are more than +/- 5% out of range on the balance test. I always look for any video with more than 800 disllikes. ..

See this for cleaning injectors

https://youtu.be/aDvtzg-ThZs
    800 dislikes, huh? Funny. I got my injectors used. They are the original type 24# blue tops, not those weird ones that Ford sells now that need adapters. They are not easy to come by, hence no spares. It's entirely possible they need a good cleaning. I've ended up running old gas through them quite a bit because the car has sat so much. And I just recently started using non-oxygenated premo. Are you saying this is probably the reason I'm having this issue?

But don't they have some sort of teflon coating or something where having them cleaned is bad?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

If you have been running the vehicle with old gas and especially any old gas that has a percentage of ethanol in it, then most likely the gas is crap and can be the source of many of your issues. Unleaded with Ethanol generally starts going stale within a couple of weeks after purchase. I don't run any ethanol fuel in any of my lawn mower, weed eaters, etc. and have had zero problems with then at the start of the season or throughout the summer when using them. Before I constantly had to rebuilt/clean carbs, replace spark plugs, etc. Same for my Mustang that is still waiting to be done. I have used nothing but Ethanol Free Super Unleaded in it since I put a new fuel pump in it. I won't guarantee the gas is perfect, but it will fire up EVERY time even after sitting for months. Poor thing hasn't driven a mile in years.

I would highly recommend topping off your tank with Ethanol Free fuel and drive the it enough to run at least one more full tank of Ethanol Free fuel through it before you spend much more time messing with injectors, calibrations, etc. That of course assumes that it is driveable in its current tune and state. Get some good quality gas in the system and then see how it works. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If you have been running the vehicle with old gas and especially any old gas that has a percentage of ethanol in it, then most likely the gas is crap and can be the source of many of your issues. Unleaded with Ethanol generally starts going stale within a couple of weeks after purchase. I don't run any ethanol fuel in any of my lawn mower, weed eaters, etc. and have had zero problems with then at the start of the season or throughout the summer when using them. Before I constantly had to rebuilt/clean carbs, replace spark plugs, etc. Same for my Mustang that is still waiting to be done. I have used nothing but Ethanol Free Super Unleaded in it since I put a new fuel pump in it. I won't guarantee the gas is perfect, but it will fire up EVERY time even after sitting for months. Poor thing hasn't driven a mile in years.

I would highly recommend topping off your tank with Ethanol Free fuel and drive the it enough to run at least one more full tank of Ethanol Free fuel through it before you spend much more time messing with injectors, calibrations, etc. That of course assumes that it is driveable in its current tune and state. Get some good quality gas in the system and then see how it works. Good Luck!
    Thanks, yeah, the current tank is non-oxygenated 91, which I believe is also ethanol free. I think it's from last year about this time, and I did add sta-bil to it last fall. But, the fuel system and injectors did run a lot of regular 87 through them too over the years including gas that sat for long periods. I've run into the same thing with my lawnmower and snowblower. You can practically set your watch by it. Super frustrating! So i did switch to the non ethanol gas there too. But i will run good gas through the car and see how it goes. And the car IS road worthy.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 07-07-2021 at 02:46 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Took that car over and topped it off with no-ethanol 91. Then I took it for a ride over to Target. I was paranoid the whole time I was in the store that I forgot to put on the parking brake. I did though. And man, this thing is just so loud and rowdy with the high idle going. I'm really looking forward to quieting down the exhaust. That won't happen until after the big show. Turns out it's next weekend (16-18th). The car is road worthy though, and I don't see why it wouldn't take me there.

Figured out my fuel pressure is good with a vacuum gauge. Of course I didn't have one, so I had to buy it. I've never had reason to use one before this, but it looks like it should come in handy.

I also ran a smoke test for vacuum leaks. Looks like I'll be slapping an EGR valve in it. Replacing another practically new part. For some reason, I'm not very optimistic about this helping much. I'm not sure why. The smoke came out around the part that looks like the back of a speaker. I guess a vacuum leak is a vacuum leak though.

I called the shop to get my A/C recharged, but they're a couple of weeks out. I hope it's not too hot that show weekend. It almost always is though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Not a lot going on with the car. I put the new EGR valve in and it had about the effect I expected, which was not much.

I gave it a wash and a vacuum. It had probably 2 years' worth of dust on it so that's definitely an improvement. My power windows still don't seem to want to roll up smoothly or go where they're supposed to rolled all the way up. So that's frustrating. Also, the power lock actuator on the passenger door has come loose from the rod, so it no longer locks or unlocks that door.

I've been driving the car almost daily. I've put twice as many miles on it as last year. I've been noticing in my logs that the O2s act very differently. One switches a LOT while the other acts more like an OBD II after-cat O2. It's lazier about switching. I'm thinking i might have to replace them again, even though I'm pretty sure they were new in 2019. I looked back at my posts from then, and I don't think I ever said one way or the other, which is frustrating. I suppose I could look through my giant receipt file, but I'd rather assume they are old so I can feel better about replacing them. Anyone have a brand they like?

The powers that be at Minnesota DMV gifted the car with a new nickname with my new plates.

Error 404. It fits.

I may attempt to verify the MAF curve today. We'll see how much time I get. The show starts tomorrow! It will be the car's first time back in 2 years. I guess last year it didn't even happen though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Also there's a "squeak-a, squeak-a, squeak-a.... " noise the engine makes. I thought it was just the belt fouled with antifreeze, but I put a new belt on it, and the sound is still there. I listened to the pulleys with my stethoscope and it's not any of those. Ugh.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, Error 404 made it to the show. I did my usual thing though where I wait to take it on a long drive until the first day of the show. It's a good 40-50 miles from home to the fairgrounds, mostly urban highway with few chances to pull off. I was white knuckle from the time I got a fair distance from home. And then a super loud rattle started. What the holy hell is that? I got off on an exit and stopped to take a look. After a few minutes I managed to figure out it was one of the tailpipes rattling against the bumper. Whew. That could've been so much worse. Between that day and the last time I drove the car a good distance, I'd had pretty much the whole car apart. So, as far as my paranoid brain was concerned, ANYTHING could go wrong. Back on the road, yet another rattle started. My windshield trim decided to come loose and flap against the body. Stupid thing. But I did make it. First long drive out of the way. Time to breathe a sigh of relief.

I came to all 3 days without incident. It was a fun show! The car IS a rattle trap though. My stupid exhaust is still cobbled together from last year when I'd intended to just take it on a few quick test drives. That's when the clutch thing happened. It's hanging far to low, and the tailpipes are crooked, but I haven't had the chance to deal with it. I'm really looking forward to getting the new h-pipe done with the cats and better fit. It has a hanger at the crossmember too, which hopefully helps with the rattling.

My stupid door windows still rattle too. I'm hoping when the dew wipes get replaced that might help with that. So irritating. I've replaced just about everything else, but with no window tracks, there's nothing to hold them in place! Stupid, stupid design.

Other than that, I've acquired a couple of ways to start looking at my MAF curve. Let's see if I can get this stupid thing to idle, and not run so lean all the time.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The dew wipes solved that problem on my car. It was driving me nuts
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    The dew wipes solved that problem on my car. It was driving me nuts
    Good to hear.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Don't forget that although they generally hold up a bit better and longer the dew wipes on the inside of the door panel do get hard and brittle as they age. Often replacing both the inner and outer wipes will do the trick. I don't know if the inner wipes are the same as a Mustang or not, but definitely consider it. They are more of a pain to remove and install, but if you are dealing with rattling windows its well worth the trouble. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I found my dew wipes on eBay
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Thanks guys! There's a guy on FB Bobby Ward that sells a whole kit. I'm sure I'll go that route. Most of my weatherstripping looks pretty good, it being a Minnesota car it's whole life, but it will definitely be an upgrade to get new. I know though, I am still flabbergasted this car has no rust, being from here. It's some kind of miracle. The guy traded it in for a Hyundai. Speaking of that, I saw a '69 Mach 1 at the show that they say was traded in to a local Ford dealer on a new Focus! How crazy is that?!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Thanks guys! There's a guy on FB Bobby Ward that sells a whole kit. I'm sure I'll go that route. Most of my weatherstripping looks pretty good, it being a Minnesota car it's whole life, but it will definitely be an upgrade to get new. I know though, I am still flabbergasted this car has no rust, being from here. It's some kind of miracle. The guy traded it in for a Hyundai. Speaking of that, I saw a '69 Mach 1 at the show that they say was traded in to a local Ford dealer on a new Focus! How crazy is that?!
    Similar situation with my car, was built in New Jersey, garaged in Connecticut and Massachusetts but my car has very little rust/rot.
    I think that is the same dude I got mine from. What a huge difference

So yeah.... after I brought the car to the show the other week, I thought I would put the car on hold and focus on stripping and refinishing my deck. And then I broke my brand new belt sander. I should find out today if they have to send it out or not.

I went and got the A/C recharged though. I forgot to tell them the exact amount it takes. The Hose Wizards kit directions are VERY specific about a lot of things, and that's one of them. Oh well. I'm sure the shop knew what they were doing. It was a really hot day when I brought it back though, and the stupid f***er didn't even want to stay running when I'd let off the gas on the drive home. You can forget about running the A/C at a light. It ain't happenin'. I'd planned on hitting a show Sunday, but decided it wouldn't have even been fun to drive it since it was acting so badly.

I'm trying to decide of I should buy new O2 sensors. One switches a LOT more than the other, leading me to wonder if the lazier one is defective, and causing some of my problems.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Little things. Sometimes that's all you can get done. I figured out why the stupid car vibrates so much at speed. Both tailpipes are touching the body over the axle. The right one is touching the gas tank too. Honestly, I don't know how Fox guys are able to avoid it. Mine seem to end up there no matter what I do. I'm considering putting urethane bump stops up there or something. That said, my new h-pipe should straighten everything out. I'll be much more careful fitting it. With the longer wheelbase chassis, it's up to you to get the length right. I think now my tailpipes are being pushed too far rearward and that's part of the problem. My new H-pipe has a hanger at the trans crossmember too to better help line things up.

When I was reinstalling the trans last year, I lost one of the trans to bellhousing bolts, so I put a hardware store one in there. At the end of the season last year, I found the original bolt, so I finally got around to swapping that back in today. Naturally, it was one of the top bolts so it was much more time consuming than it needed to be.

I got some Detroit Speed seat braces for through-floor subframe connectors. I test fit them today too and... I'm guessing their system must place the frame rails offset from where the original frame rails are. So, they don't line up. I need to bring them to a shop to have them welded in anyway, I think I'll just leave it up to the guy to determine how to drill or cut to make them fit.

Home Depot fixed my belt sander! They were reluctant to work on it since it's a Craftsman, but I showed them a Black & Decker that's just about identical besides the color it's painted that they sell. Apparently mine is new enough that it was made by Black & Decker, so they would have been able to get parts for it, had they needed to. I'm very grateful to the store manager, who accepted it for repair and made it happen. I talked to the repair tech on the phone and it was clear, he wanted nothing to do with it.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, the stupid deck took a lot longer than I expected. What else is new?

Not having had a lot of success with the car makes it hard to get back on it after time away. Yesterday, I finally made myself go out there and swap O2 sensors so I could look and see if it's one of the sensors acting weird, rather than something crazy going on with that bank. After looking at datalogs with it in both spots, it's the sensor. I got some new ones I'll probably install today. Then I'm going to try working on the MAF curve. I'm itching to work on the new h-pipe with cats. I'm so tired of how loud it is. I don't know if I'm more tired of that than how bad it idles though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Got the new sensors installed and made another datalog. They are pretty much working in unison now. You can watch the AFR rise as the RPMs fall with the rolling idle now. So there's that.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I started the MAF mapping exercise the other day. I got about 6 voltages done and then decided my garage in a suburban neighborhood wasn't the best place to be doing that with how loud my car is. I was solo parenting that day and couldn't really leave home to drive around. My plan is to pick up where I left off in the next few days.

Once I get that done and burned in (my expectations are low), I'm going to start on the h-pipe cutting and fitting. I have a few shows on the horizon I'd like to hit, but the car may not make them because of that. I should be able to knock it out in a day, but ... well you know how it goes.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Yeah... I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I need help with this thing. I think there's something mechanically wrong causing the whine when it runs, and causing the rolling idle. And especially if that's found to NOT be the case, I need to have an expert tune it. My head being where it's at, I just don't have the brain capacity or time to fight with this anymore. I'm going to take it to a repair guy, and then probably a tuner guy.

That said, I'm still particular about how I want the exhaust done, so I need to get under there and cut some pipes so they sit where I want them before I do, and then I can have them welded.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Just catching up on your build and I'm sorry to hear about your driveability woes. For me driveability hasn't really been a problem... everything else is. Blue smoke trails because of an oil leak, starter heat soak which causes a no start if I drive it more than a couple of miles, and a driver's window motor that's dead, and the list goes on. That being said I am still envious of the quality of your build. It looks super clean. Double the miles over last year tells me you're headed in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    Just catching up on your build and I'm sorry to hear about your driveability woes. For me driveability hasn't really been a problem... everything else is. Blue smoke trails because of an oil leak, starter heat soak which causes a no start if I drive it more than a couple of miles, and a driver's window motor that's dead, and the list goes on. That being said I am still envious of the quality of your build. It looks super clean. Double the miles over last year tells me you're headed in the right direction.
    Man, your problems are frustrating too. I thought of you the other day. I saw a build on FB where the guy is putting together a Foxy wagon with a SEFI 5.8. He found a Ford Racing kit from back in the day that comes with a complete intake that looks to be a Lightning lower with a Cobra upper. It even comes with a "5.8 Ford H.O." plaque. I never knew such a thing existed. SO cool! A unicorn item that looks like it belongs so the untrained eye would never know.

Anyway yeah, work has drafted me to do extra hours all week, so I haven't had any time for the car. Maybe Sunday. Just have to go with the flow, I guess.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Yeah. Agreed. I wish I had the time and the money to do this car right. I have the car all planned out in my head. Air conditioning, paint on a straight and clean body with new woodgrain decals and sound deadening all over underneath a clean interior. No more rattles and no more squeaks. Hopefully that day will come and I will park next to you at Carlisle!

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    Yeah. Agreed. I wish I had the time and the money to do this car right. I have the car all planned out in my head. Air conditioning, paint on a straight and clean body with new woodgrain decals and sound deadening all over underneath a clean interior. No more rattles and no more squeaks. Hopefully that day will come and I will park next to you at Carlisle!
    Looking forward to it. We'll get there.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast