Close

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1278

Well, I finished cleaning up the looks on my Focus. Before:

After:

Took off all the goofy tacked on body kit on a body kit stuff. Got some good money for it too! Win-win. Now I'm STILL waiting on my clamp exchange from Summit. It's been almost a week since they got my return, they need to hurry up and send its replacement out so I can get this obnoxious exhaust off and cash in!

As for the Zeph, who knew that replacing every single piece of the clutch system except the freakin' bellhousing, clutch pedal, and input shaft would still yield having to do fiddly work to make things line up and do what they're supposed to! I sure didn't!

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...rts-Components

I thought if you replace the flywheel with new, that meant you should have NO issues with proper geometry. A brand new clutch kit from the same manufacturer that made the factory one, and I still might be looking at pulling the g****** transmission back out to shim the brand new pivot ball?! F***!! I guess I should've just kept my old setup. It was heavy as crap, not to mention NOT put together correctly, but at least it WORKED!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Supporter

Too bad you need to have a front plate... Nice job on bringing it back to stock!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Too bad you need to have a front plate... Nice job on bringing it back to stock!
    Thanks! I joined a few ST communities, and it can be hard not to express my distaste for some of what they like to do to their cars over there. I don't mind the front plate. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another way the car is different now than the previous guy had it. I've made it my own by making it not his.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, with the clutch adjustment problem pretty much solved, I'd like to slap the car together and drive it now. I have the piece of h-pipe adjacent to the clutch fork out, so I've been considering drilling it for my wideband sensor. The trouble is, because of the way I grafted it back together, there is a definite exhaust leak there. Until now, it hasn't really been a problem, but I seem to recall that an exhaust leak can not only cause your wideband readings to be wrong, it can ruin the sensor. I would rather not ruin the sensor. But, I can't find exactly where I heard/read that so I can't prove it to myself. Maybe that's only true when you're using it to tune, which I wouldn't be yet, I don't know

I think if I use some bandclamps I have on hand to secure the pipes together that might help with the exhaust leak, so then I'd be okay. Can't say for sure though without installing the pipe and trying it. But access to the rear bolt between the header and pipe is really bad, so I don't want to have to be putting it in and out and in and out. I guess it wouldn't be so bad to drill it on the car, there's good access there for that, but then I'd have to deal with the shavings being inside the exhaust....

As for the Focus, I discovered after a long wait for it to be shipped to me that you cannot use a 2" bandclamp on a 55mm pipe. Apparently bandclamps have to match the pipe size precisely. So, that means more waiting for a 55mm clamp (something I didn't know existed) while my buyer for the exhaust is probably getting pissed.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Trying the bandclamps on my h-pipe joints paid off. I got it to seal up nicely. The engine is still running like crap. I'm hoping i find something obvious wrong with it to explain that, like something I forgot to reattach after having it apart.

On the Focus, I decided to yank the ugly phallic shorty antenna it had on it and replace it with the stock one. If I'm going to have a shorty antenna on it, I'd rather it be a shark fin type anyway.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Still fighting with the clutch and idle problems. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a vacuum leak with the idle. I'm going to try re-seating and torquing the upper intake, and that will give me the opportunity to see if the cylinder 7 and 8 injector plugs came off or not. If that doesn't do it, I guess I'll build Brew2l's smoke machine and see if I can find the leak that way. SSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

For the clutch, I don't know. I guess I'll fiddle with it. Transmission probably has to come out.

My confidence is really in the toilet these days though. It's like I have the opposite of the magic touch. In the past I may have been able to blame the substandard parts I bought because I was cheap, but now there's no excuse. It's all my lack of skill that got me where I am today.

For the Focus, it's completely de-riced, so at least that makes me happy. The stock exhaust is back in. I had to wave the white flag trying to get it in myself though. I just couldn't maneuver it over the rear suspension, no matter how high I jacked it. Not great for the confidence either. But, I brought it to a local guy and he got it done for $78. Pay a little money, problem goes away. I might have to apply that to the Zeph too.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Don't beat yourself up too much. There are others of us out here that feel the same way and seem to be having the same luck as of late. Not sure if our MOJO is off of its the universe itself. I had to paint the hood of my 86 Bronco 3 times to get it right. Not lack of skill or abilities, and not cheap paint. Just seemed it didn't want to turn out right. Simple repaint and refresh seems to be taking FOREVER! Finally got all the sheetmetal bolted back on last weekend, but only a month or two behind schedule. Still waiting on some parts and supplies to finish, but finally coming together. So I completely feel your pain my friend and know what you are going through. Feel like I have to "FIX" everything 2 or 3 times before I get it right as of late.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Still fighting with the clutch and idle problems. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a vacuum leak with the idle. I'm going to try re-seating and torquing the upper intake, and that will give me the opportunity to see if the cylinder 7 and 8 injector plugs came off or not. If that doesn't do it, I guess I'll build Brew2l's smoke machine and see if I can find the leak that way. SSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

For the clutch, I don't know. I guess I'll fiddle with it. Transmission probably has to come out.

My confidence is really in the toilet these days though. It's like I have the opposite of the magic touch. In the past I may have been able to blame the substandard parts I bought because I was cheap, but now there's no excuse. It's all my lack of skill that got me where I am today.

For the Focus, it's completely de-riced, so at least that makes me happy. The stock exhaust is back in. I had to wave the white flag trying to get it in myself though. I just couldn't maneuver it over the rear suspension, no matter how high I jacked it. Not great for the confidence either. But, I brought it to a local guy and he got it done for $78. Pay a little money, problem goes away. I might have to apply that to the Zeph too.
    its not in the toilet. no 6 Liter Chebby swap is planned.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Don't beat yourself up too much. There are others of us out here that feel the same way and seem to be having the same luck as of late. Not sure if our MOJO is off of its the universe itself. I had to paint the hood of my 86 Bronco 3 times to get it right. Not lack of skill or abilities, and not cheap paint. Just seemed it didn't want to turn out right. Simple repaint and refresh seems to be taking FOREVER! Finally got all the sheetmetal bolted back on last weekend, but only a month or two behind schedule. Still waiting on some parts and supplies to finish, but finally coming together. So I completely feel your pain my friend and know what you are going through. Feel like I have to "FIX" everything 2 or 3 times before I get it right as of late.
    No pics? Sorry to hijack....
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Try and stay with it
    it’s tough sometimes. You’ll get there man
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Thanks all. I tried the intake thing and it did nothing.

I forgot to mention too, I swapped to copper plugs, a new cap & rotor, new fuel filter, and a paper element air filter to confuse the computer less and keep up with maintenance. I didn't expect that to help the current issue, but I thought I might as well do it anyway.

The 6L toilet thing made me laugh.

I also wouldn't mind seeing pics of the Bronco. I had an '86 once upon a time myself. Sorry about the trouble you're having though.

Anyway, I think I'm going to talk to my friend who put the valvetrain together for me about having him fix my current problems. See what it might cost, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I'm going through another annual ritual right now with the car project. I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that the car has to be taken apart again. Probably down to a good week's work away from being driveable. I said at the beginning of this season I'd put things together in the hope I could drive and enjoy it for a while before I tackle the new h-pipe and cats project. But the car had other plans, I guess.

The h-pipe has to come out to pull the transmission anyway, so I might as well go ahead and do that project after putting the trans back in. I don't know, we'll see. I have a few more things to try before I give up on fixing the idle problem. I hesitate to install cats when the car isn't running right though. I don't want to wreck them.

If I pull the trans though, I can maybe try some more things to get the clutch components' geometry better. And I can see if the problem getting into gear is internal somehow, and check the thrust. I bought a gasket for the shifter joint where it attaches to the housing so I don't have to keep using RTV there, and then not want to take it back off to ease installation of the trans after that.

Anyway, there are no car shows this year to miss, so I might as well. Although it's sounding like my favorite show, Street Machine Nationals seems to have found a way around all the red tape and is currently a go. Maybe it won't take me the whole month. that was a good one.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 06-12-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Its always best that it knows who the Boss is Brad.

Lord have Mercy down the road that I must travel, and Welcome to the Real World, Mercury MoFo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsaTFcXVCNU

Love me some AC/DC!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

when I get pissed at what goes wrong with my S*** I play Van Halen loud.....VERY LOUD (and now my transmission tail shaft seal is leaking bad), ordered a new seal, bushing and the special tool to remove the bushing at $180.00! HOT FOR TEACHER! lol
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

FEP Supporter

I love that video!

Waldo's mom: Omm, ahhh. Sweet, sweet Waldo. Now Waldo, I hope you find some friends this year.

Waldo: Awww mom. You know I'm not like other guys. I'm nervous and my socks are too loose...

Dave: Sit down, Waldo...

Sorry for the hijack...
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    I love that video!

Waldo's mom: Omm, ahhh. Sweet, sweet Waldo. Now Waldo, I hope you find some friends this year.

Waldo: Awww mom. You know I'm not like other guys. I'm nervous and my socks are too loose...

Dave: Sit down, Waldo...

Sorry for the hijack...

Not a thread Hi Jack. A thread Re-prioritization.

Ima Bloc Party man

https://youtu.be/EwKULP7yRmI

https://youtube/EwKULP7yRmI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwKULP7yRmI

When working on Toyota's and Nissan's though, Im hopin' for a CH-47 Chinook to miraculously drop 13 greasy silent warriors to remove the 23 items to get to the one part I have to change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R6S5CJWlco

FEP Supporter

Good stuff ^^^^
    '85 GT

Alright, so I have reason to be optimistic. I did some more asking around, and I believe that I have the wrong MAF on the car. Putting the right one on should really help, I hope. From what I know, you really don't want the wrong MAF. I currently have a F2VF one, which is a Town Car application among others, and what I want is an F1SF.

I did some more diagnosis on the car. I did a smoke test, and actually came up with nothing, much to my surprise. No vacuum leaks, nothing that i screwed up during re-assembly. The distributor timing does seem to be correct too.

As for the clutch, I found some really valuable information about the geometry of the clutch fork. Something i can actually reference, and not just a "try this and see if it helps" kind of thing. Nothing worse than groping blindly at a solution.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

SIGH here we go again.

And shut up about my rat's nest. I like it that way!

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I received the reman Cobra MAF and installed it, but I can't start the engine while the trans project is going, so no news on that yet. I'm waiting on my wife to be around so I can pull the trans without dropping on myself, but she's worked the last 3 days all day. She's off tomorrow though.

Decided to work on a little side project since the dash was partly taken apart. This blemish on the dash pad has always bothered me. And the original dash pad is starting to get a little droopy.

When I was selling Focus parts, one guy paid with a CJ Pony gift card, so I used the opportunity to grab a new dash pad.

It's a pretty nice piece, but the shape isn't quite right and I had to oval one of the stud holes to make it line up better.

But no more blemish! And now I know how to take out these vent bezels. It might not be that easy to tell in pictures, but my natural black dash has lived a hard life. One of these days I might remove the vent bezels at the outer corners and repaint them. There's another white spot on the driver's side below the vent (how the hell did that happen?!) and other discolored spots. I don't think the whole dash needs it, but those corners for sure. I just wish for a day when all the problems with the running gear on this car are solved so I can focus on the more fun stuff like that. I used to think I was close to having that, but then this year happened.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I had the same problem with my dash pad...... I hope you find the problem
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Thanks.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Not to hijack
    while we are on the subject of dash pads-
    will a 79 zephyr dash pad fit a 79 mustang dash hull?
    thanks
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Dash hulls should be the same between them. There might be a small fitment problem if you use the flatter, rounder F/Z pad with a 6 gauge (Mustang type) cluster bezel. I'm not 100% on that though.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast