Close

Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    I've had mud daubers make nests in open lines before so I know how frustrating it can be to clear the lines.
    Yeah, someone like that had made my first (junkyard) LTD gas tank their home. The pump hanger/sending unit that came with it was totally unusable. Shame too, considering how hard those are to come by now. Both were replaced by new parts though, so that's not the problem.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedfoxdriver View Post
    All 3 of mine do that to me. I kinda thought it was a design problem magnified by new pumps flowing more.

BTW great build, and yes the salt and pepper look much better in their holder.
    Really? Well damn, i hope i don't just end up having to live with it. Although that would explain why I haven't found anything wrong yet.

Thanks for the compliment!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Still fighting with my fuel system. Friday I decided to slap the stock replacement Motorcraft fuel pressure regulator in, in place of the adjustable one that was allowing drainback. Saturday in between other things, i was fartin' around in the garage and found this 3/8" fuel line (hose) i had bought at some point to use on my vapor line. I didn't think much of it because the one that's on the car looked a lot like it, but then i discovered that what was on the car was 1/4". It wasn't enough to do the whole thing, so i decided to buy some more and replace the whole existing mess with 3/8" line. What was on the car was the original stock plastic line combined with 1/4" rubber hose at both ends. Here's a look at the plastic line next to the new 3/8" line I'm putting in.

Pretty dramatic, so it'd better at least help my fuel fill problem! Yes, the plastic line is tiny, but I thought if it was good enough for the factory, it should be good enough for me. Oh, and despite every bit of advice I've gotten, I slapped a new carbon canister in there too. I didn't quite finish hanging the new vapor line on the car though, so I haven't done any testing since then.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Had a little time yesterday, so I started planning my additional vent hose going to the filler neck. I went to the auto parts store and hardware store and started looking at what I could maybe use. This is what I came up with.

It's a couple of brass fittings, 3/8" NPT x 3/8" hose barb, one 90 degree, one straight attached to 3/8" fuel/emissions hose. The idea originally was to weld fittings onto the tank and filler neck, but as we know, ZephyrEFI don't weld. So, what i'm going to do instead is, drill and tap holes in the tank and filler neck, thread the fittings in, and then seal them up with Fuel Resistant gasket sealant. I have a couple of 3/8" NPT locking nuts to use in combination there somewhere. I figure the tank fitting, I'll be able to get the nut onto the fitting inside the tank, providing further insurance. On the filler neck side, I won't be able to get the nut inside there, plus i won't be working with a flat surface to seal to. I thought maybe it could be used to hold the fitting in place, so it doesn't move around, considering that i won't be able to thread it in very far. Thread the fitting into the filler neck, then turn the nut, higher up on the threads, down until it contacts the filler neck, locking it in place. Hopefully.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, how about that. I can actually mark something off my list today! I finished installing the pinion snubber.

I decided to use the factory bolts and sandwich/pinch nut things that came with it. That meant drilling more holes. You need the bolt hole itself, and then you need the big-ass hole to push the sandwich/pinch nut thingy into. And then the area behind the rearmost hole was not flat, so that complicated things too. Drilling these holes was no picnic with the ol' 8.8 in place, but I got to try out my new 90 degree drill adapter and stubby bits from Milescraft. What a couple o' handy tools! Affordable too!

But now, I'm ready to finish running my fuel lines and move on!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Pretty good progress today! The fuel lines are all in their permanent places, and today's project was the fuel pump swap.

Walbro 190 swapped onto the LTD wagon sending unit hanger. This thing is even BIGGER than the stock replacement 88 LPH one it superceded, which was already quite a bit bigger than the low pressure LTD pump IT replaced. So more cutting and clearancing was in order. It's gotten to the point that i can't put this thing through the hole in the tank assembled. I need to put everything in, and THEN bolt the pump on.

So, i finished that, and then moved on to creating my new filler neck vent line. That mean drilling a hole in the tank.

I put a paper cup down in there to catch the shavings. Sort of got the idea from a tip on Gearz.

It's a 3/8" NPT hole, drilled and tapped. the nut is just sitting on the tank, it will go on the inside of the brass fitting.

Tank portion complete! sealed up the threads on the fitting with Fuel Resistant gasket sealer.

Next steps are, test fit the Mustang filler neck, to see if i can even use it. Then drill/tap whichever filler neck i end up using for the other brass fitting. Then finally put this dang fuel system back together!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, today I test fit the Mustang filler neck, and it seems to fit nicely. So, we'll go with that.

Then I whipped up this apparatus to hold the filler neck whilst I drilled a big-ass hole in it.

I tried to tap it so i could use another thread-in fitting like the one I used on the tank, but nothing doing. The fact that it's not flat (not to mention my tap is kind of messed up), just made it more trouble than it's worth. So now we wait until I can get some help to weld the thing on.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, this weekend has been about planning and problem solving. For my parking brake problem, I was messing around on Rock Auto and found out that '91-92 Mark VII rear brakes are either VERY similar to or the same as SN95 Mustang brakes. So, add that to a similar wheelbase to F/Zs and you have rear cables that should bolt right in to my car! I ordered cables and those SN95 brackets that bolt to the control arms to hold the cables away from the wheels. Their length is VERY close to 4 Barrel Mike's measurements he got when cutting his down. Looking forward to having that done!

Fought with the filler neck vent setup some too. After, shall we say, a "learning experience" we ended up with a 3/8" male to 1/4" female steel adapter fitting welded to the filler neck. We were trying to solve the problem with hardware store brass fittings (i think they're for natural gas or something; either way, not exactly my field of expertise), then moved to steel when welding became the clear answer. After finishing with that, our 90 degree fitting would not thread in to said adapter. Adapter needs to be retapped. I do not have a 1/4" NPT tap. So... now we wait some more.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, $13.40 for two close-out Wagner brake cables including Priority shipping is too hard to pass up! Spares are always good.

Where did you order the cable brackets from, Brad?

Mike
    Last edited by 4-barrel Mike; 04-30-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: fix typo

I got them from LMR. I wasn't happy about shelling out $40 for them, but at least they'll look like they belong...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

$40! Pick-n-Pull time.

Mike

No kidding. Wish i had the time for that.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Stole a little time today and ran my yellow/white circuit for my alternator back to the solenoid. I'd run it straight to the lug when I did the 3G swap last fall and eliminated the wire. Yes, I ripped it all the way out. Yes, that was wrong, so I had to run a new wire across the core support again. Anyway, that's done now.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Playing around in my rear wheel wells today. I received my control arm mount parking brake cable brackets from LMR. They always ship so fast. Anyway, i was skeptical I could use them as they come because of my Steeda control arms. But check, it out, they bolt right on! (bottom circle)

I decided to paint them quick to make sure they don't end up looking like all the used ones i saw on ebay, tin roof rusty! Anyway, the top circle shows that I finally removed my stock bump stops as per this article:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/te...oxchassis.aspx

And yes, my rear shocks are SN95 application.

Stilllllllllllllllllll waiting on the pipe tap for my filler neck vent fitting and my parking brake cables. Y'know, only the most important things I'm waiting for. Stupid Harbor Freight's website sat on tap set for most of a week (2000 miles away IN CALIFORNIA) before they even had Fedex pick it up! WTF is that crap?! And then Rock Auto shipped my cables via this convoluted shipping deal where DHL takes it part way, and then takes their time giving it to the postal service to take the rest of the way. STUPID. Takes FOREVER. I'll pay an extra couple of bucks to have one carrier bring it the whole way, but their next option on the scale was like two day air, so that was way more money!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alright, here's what's been going on. I added some JB Weld to the filler neck fitting setup just to make sure it would seal. Sanded it sorta smooth and painted it. Seems to look decent.

With all the doin's transpirin' with the filler neck and fitting, I'd had it bolted to the plastic box thingy just to sort of keep it straight and steady so we could work on it. Well, in doing that, the plastic box thingy got all kindsa cracked. So now I needed a "new" one. So then a couple of weeks went by before i could get together with someone who actually had one. When I finally got one, i found that it was ... also broken. But at least better than what I had. So next, I cut a big chunk out of my old one so I could epoxy it into my new one so that hopefully it would keep the fuel vapors out of my trunk/passenger compartment.

One more problem down. Moving on while I wait for that to dry. My '91-92 Mark VII parking brake cables I ordered and took forever to get here finally arrived. BUT, i needed to re-create the forward brackets for them because, in my infinite wisdom, I cut the old ones out for the last cable setup I had. The cables seem to fit really nice though!

I love it when things look the way they're supposed to and not all half-a$$ed. But anyway, I may have to go to some of my spare, alternately sized intermediate or transverse cables in order to bolt everything up though. I'm coming up a little short right now.

That's what we know for now. I have a show coming up this weekend I'd really like to make it to. It's the one I got a trophy at last year! It's gonna be close, but I have most of the day Friday to wrap these projects up. And maybe swap radiators, since, as you may have seen, my POS part-store replacement one decided to start leaking about a week ago.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Got a little time today and the fuel system is all assembled. Here's my vent line.

Anyone have any ideas about how i can better seal this at the body? I tried making as small a hole as possible to pass the hose through, but it still ripped quite a bit. I thought about drilling its own hole in the body with a grommet, but doing this was easier.... Electrical tape looks pretty half-assed though.

I haven't actually been to the gas station with it, but i did put 2.5 gallons in from a gas can, and had no trouble with that. So far so good. The tank had no gas in it, which can make things interesting bolting up the straps. You really need some weight pulling down on those for the bolts to not just spin on you. Don't worry, i did manage to end up stripping out BOTH nuts whilst fighting with that.

The parking brake cable system is all assembled now too. I did end up swapping out the Zephyr transverse cable for the Mark VII one. So, my system is made up of Zephyr front and intermediate cables, and then Mark VII transverse and rear cables, if you care to do the same. The Mark VII transverse cable is juuuuuust a bit longer than the Zephyr one maybe only a couple of inches. But I needed those inches.

Then I busted out my new under-hood decals I'd bought and found a home for them on my new upper radiator bracket. I'm very pleased with this! It's going to looks sweet!

It has a very "factory" look to it!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Got some time today for cooling system re-assembly. Right now I set up my old fan set up until I figure out how i'm going to run the Mark VIII fan. So I had to modify some of my home-made brackets and stuff made to retain it and stuff to make room for the MUCH bigger radiator.

A box arrived yesterday, and when i went to open it, I heard this mysterious angels-humming sound.

My new fan showed up!

So, after all that was done, I went to start adding coolant back to my cooling system. Who the HELL came up with this arrangement? The prop rod, radiator cap and battery all within inches of each other!!

I hooked up the battery and went to pressurize the fuel system and I could hear this squirting noise. Looks like I get to replace the injector o-rings on the passenger side. I thought I could get away with not doing that just this once when i loosened that side of the fuel rail to replace the pressure regulator. Nope. Let this be a lesson for the kids out there. You think you can pop your injectors out and put them back in without replacing the o-rings? You can't. So, I decided to call it a day at that point. But she's down on her wheels for the first time in months!

It's all nice an mostly assembled under the hood! Yes, i painted the top of the SVE radiator black for a more stock-ish look.

I just have to un-assemble some of it again to replace those damned o-rings.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

You were so close!Name:  IMG_0664.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  30.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    You were so close!Name:  IMG_0664.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  30.7 KB
    yeah. Good thing it was dinner time anyway.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post

Then I busted out my new under-hood decals I'd bought and found a home for them on my new upper radiator bracket. I'm very pleased with this! It's going to looks sweet!

It has a very "factory" look to it!
    Where did you get this radiator hold down?
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Where did you get this radiator hold down?
    It's an LMR SVE.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, i found this rubber plug in my collection of crap.

I was able to cut the center out of it, and it will make a very nice grommet for my vent hose.

I've ordered a new filler neck body seal so, i guess that solves that.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I finished replacing the injector o-rings on the passenger side. It fixed the problem. Really? Yes, really. I diagnosed a problem correctly and then R 'n R'ed the part without breaking anything else! Wow!

Got the engine to fire up, and it seems to be holding fuel pressure nicely, which it didn't do before I started on this adventure this past winter. I decided to call that a win and quit for the day, haha.

Test drive still forthcoming.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Good job Brad, you had to be pleased with those results.

haha, thanks. It does indeed.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast