Close

Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

I got some car time today. i spiffed up and installed the tensioner in the stock location, and installed the Ford Racing air pump eliminator. I chose the Ford Racing one because i wanted it to look like it belongs. That would not have been the case with most others because they are basically a rectangular block of aluminum with a chrome pulley on it. Nice if you like a custom look, i guess, but not for me. I wanted to put some pics up of it because i found very few "installed" pics online that were helpful, or you could even tell what you were looking at.

Here's the front:

You can see the bracket looks like an extension of the factory alternator bracket. Nice.

Here's the back:

You can see it's mounted using the stock steel rear bracket that looks kind of like an offset wrench. Not something that's necessarily self-explanatory for someone like me who hasn't had his air pump installed in years. All in all I'm very happy with it! It cost more than some others, but it was worth it to me.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Looks good Brad. I prefer subtleties in my builds over flashy so that would fit right in.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Alright, i've got another "before and after" for you!

Here is my accessory drive Before

And here is after!

See Mike? You can hardly see the nasty water pump now.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Nice work, Brad !! I've been reading a couple pages as I had time and finally made it thru all of them. It's a real bummer these cars weren't in production long enough to be made this way, it's perfect.

Now if I can just find the time to get thru Mike1157's novel I'll feel like I've accomplished something. Lee
    '85 GT 7.5L
    Got it together in time to make my son's senior prom May 13th!
    Next goal is to be sitting at National Trail Raceway on Sept 11th for Drag Week '16
    Some build pics:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-My-85-GT-7-5L

Quote Originally Posted by 7point5inafox View Post
    Nice work, Brad !! I've been reading a couple pages as I had time and finally made it thru all of them. It's a real bummer these cars weren't in production long enough to be made this way, it's perfect.

Now if I can just find the time to get thru Mike1157's novel I'll feel like I've accomplished something. Lee
    Thank you! That's high praise coming from you!

Today I mounted the condenser. You'd think Fox body, it's all the same right? The directions for the Hose Wizards kit make it sound like it's remove old one, slap new one in, done. Well, not so much. The old mounting holes for the Zephyr condenser brackets were nowhere near where they needed to be for this condenser intended for a Fox Mustang. I guess i don't know, maybe even Mustang guys need to do this, but i needed to pretty much start from scratch. I hadn't had a condenser on the car in years, but luckily i was able to track down some mounting brackets. I tried to mimic the way the factory does it, using those pinch nut things, so i needed to drill 4 new bolt holes and put square holes next to them so the pinch nuts could be installed. You can see in the pics where the original brackets were and marvel at how far they are from where i needed them to be.

On a positive note, i got to play with my new Eastwood body saw. What a nice tool to have that is!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Mike1157

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Thank you! That's high praise coming from you!

Today I mounted the condenser. You'd think Fox body, it's all the same right? The directions for the Hose Wizards kit make it sound like it's remove old one, slap new one in, done. Well, not so much. The old mounting holes for the Zephyr condenser brackets were nowhere near where they needed to be for this condenser intended for a Fox Mustang. I guess i don't know, maybe even Mustang guys need to do this, but i needed to pretty much start from scratch. I hadn't had a condenser on the car in years, but luckily i was able to track down some mounting brackets. I tried to mimic the way the factory does it, using those pinch nut things, so i needed to drill 4 new bolt holes and put square holes next to them so the pinch nuts could be installed. You can see in the pics where the original brackets were and marvel at how far they are from where i needed them to be.

On a positive note, i got to play with my new Eastwood body saw. What a nice tool to have that is!
    Gotta give it to you,...I always appreciate a thread where the AC is going back ON the car as opposed to the opposite.

And I can still see that pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    Gotta give it to you,...I always appreciate a thread where the AC is going back ON the car as opposed to the opposite.

And I can still see that pump.
    Thanks, yep. I want to be able to drive this car a lot. I don't want it to sit because of some compromise I made.

And don't worry, the eventual cam swap is still planned. The nasty water pump will go at that time.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well I wasted a lot of time yesterday unbolting the upper intake and digging through the injector harness and TFI harness looking for the A/C compressor clutch wires I chopped off many moons ago. I later found out, these wires come from the left inner fender near the solenoid. Turns out there's a whole pigtail I'm missing, so I had to jump on ebay and get one coming. I was lucky to find one for a reasonable price only one state over.

I'm attending a show next weekend, so now I need to focus on buttoning up all the stuff I took apart so I can drive the car there. Then I can finish up the A/C and move on to the brakes!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well today i fired it up for the first time this season. Scared the crap out of my 2-year-old. But i got the opportunity to test my 3G alternator swap. Looks like we're all good!

Also got my A/C compressor clutch circuit situation all sorted out. See, you'd think the compressor clutch circuit would be in one of these handy looms right nearby, but not so.

Hello, what's this unused connector way the crap over by the solenoid?

Well, it looks like it might just mate up perfectly to this compressor clutch pigtail i just acquired...

It crosses the divide along with the coil wire. Which i did not know because i tossed it long ago and forgot where it came from. And yes, my solenoid area is a huge mess. That's on my list of projects. Although, i do have a coil cover to cover that up anyway.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

You left before you could receive your award.
    1984 Predator GT302 #4S0102 - Complete rotisserie and put back to stock
    1979 Pace Car - 306, H/C/I, T5, 8.8, 3.73 - 288 RWHP
    1993 GT Vert - PROCHARGER P1SC, H/C/I, Built AODE, 3.73 - 421RWHP / 405 RWTQ - SOLD

Nice progress on the a/c! I've been getting my heater working when I should be getting my a/c going lol.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Quote Originally Posted by forgotn View Post
    You left before you could receive your award.
    Haha, my dad brought it by. I live really close to there. I didn't expect to win, i never have! The kids were getting pretty antsy though.

But yeah, here it is! 3rd place, Lincoln-Mercury class! My first car show trophy!

Name:  IMG_20160515_165302015_HDR.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  186.1 KB
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0 bird View Post
    Nice progress on the a/c! I've been getting my heater working when I should be getting my a/c going lol.
    Thanks! Yeah, i was into my heater box last year (or the year before?). NOT a fun job!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Congrats.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Congrats on your trophy Brad. Well deserved. Stand proud for your fellow Mercury brothers and sisters.
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thanks guys! Just a few pretty irritating problems left to sort out this year. Along with the brakes and fuel system, i now have that steering dead spot to diagnose and deal with. Driving the car as is, is kind of scary when you're in that dead spot and a curve is coming up. I think that just moved to the top of the priority list. When I get in a situation like this, i tend to want to spend a lot of money and replace a lot of parts. A full '03-4 Cobra steering setup is sounding pretty nice about now. I'll try and keep my head though and do some real diagnosis.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Is your ps pump intended for a 15:1 rack? There have been reports of steering issues when using a pump for a 20:1 rack on a 15:1. I think it is truly a different size orifice in the pumps that makes the difference.
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    Is your ps pump intended for a 15:1 rack? There have been reports of steering issues when using a pump for a 20:1 rack on a 15:1. I think it is truly a different size orifice in the pumps that makes the difference.
    That may be it but from what I have learned it is typically under quick, almost lock to lock steering when the pump can't keep and you momentarily lose assist. The dead spot you explain Brad is odd I tend to be like you though; start replacing stuff!

Congrats on the award at the show also!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

The origin of my PS pump is a mystery. I acquired it in a box along with a March underdrive kit and a pre-'86 alternator bracket.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

That may be it but from what I have learned it is typically under quick, almost lock to lock steering when the pump can't keep and you momentarily lose assist.
    I'm not sure if it has to be a lock to lock situation or just a very quick and aggressive turn.

Brad, you're running the Mustang rack aren't you?
    Last edited by mustangxtreme; 05-17-2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: additional questions
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Yeah, the rack is '87 LX 5.0.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    3rd place, Lincoln-Mercury class! My first car show trophy!
    Congrats! First one of many to come I'll bet.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by LT-84GTturbo View Post
    Congrats! First one of many to come I'll bet.
    Hope so! I was on a 10 year losing streak!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Tie rods?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Yeah, the rack is '87 LX 5.0.
    That should be a 15:1 rack. I'm still wondering about the pump. Here is a thread where the differences are discussed.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...g+pump+orifice
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast