Close

Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Looking great!!

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    Heres the final look with my new dash
    That's sweet! And that steering wheel works perfectly with it.

Got a little time in the garage today, so the shortblock got its crinkle black paint job to match my heads and lower intake.

Here's a look at the valve covers I ended up with. I wanted some that my roller rockers would fit under, and I didn't want to modify my stock side fin ones. These were the best ones I could find in regard to price and look. They are polished, obviously, but I plan to paint them silver to look more stockish look, and to match my upper intake. I have these blue and red fiber discs for my die grinder I plan to scuff them with. Anyone have a better way to do that? I don't want to end up with swirly scratches you'll be able to see under the paint, and I'd rather not do it by hand. I'm thinking it will work fine though.

Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Ordered more stuff! New oil pump, driveshaft, and pickup, as well as a new harmonic balancer bolt. I was happy to find one that wasn't FORTY DOLLARS like the ARP one is. Summit had another option, ATI.

Engine is looking good!

I'm really happy with the crinkle finish on it! It actually smoothed out some of the rust scale (the block was a rebuilt "seasoned" one)! "correct" would have been to leave it bare on this year engine, but I wanted to do something that would look good over time. I don't think this will be the thing people point to that betrays the car's not being stock anyway.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Hey Brad, I have a question.... on the dash do you have a gap of about 1 1/4" that runs along the bottom of the windshield and the upper part of the dash? is there a filler part that im missing?
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Hey Brad, I have a question.... on the dash do you have a gap of about 1 1/4" that runs along the bottom of the windshield and the upper part of the dash? is there a filler part that im missing?
    I do have a gap. I'm not sure how big it is. I've thought about fiddling with it, shifting things upwards, but I have to much else going on. I haven't taken a good look at an aero car in a while to find out more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Got the brake system leak free, and bled today so I could take it for a drive. And the results are... I don't know. I wasn't able to get the rears to lock up prematurely (with the adjustable proportioning valve adjusted wide open, 1 to 1). Maybe it needs more bleeding, maybe my test drive wasn't long enough, I don't know.

But the cruise is fixed! I was finally able to verify that today. The resistors in the brake light wires did the trick.

Also, I got my valve covers all painted.

Roughed up. I probably could have done with something far less aggressive than the fiber discs.

And painted! I'm pretty happy with them. I think they look like SOHC 4.6 valve covers a little.

With the brake thing not necessarily solved, I think what I might do is jump in to the engine project with both feet. I need to revoke the car's driveable status pretty much right away and rob some parts from the old engine if I do that though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

the covers look great!
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Heres the final look with my new dash
    That is nice right there. What about the park brake assembly? Also console bracketry? Welded in? Shifter opening?.. there’s a piece that has to be welded on there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    That is nice right there. What about the park brake assembly? Also console bracketry? Welded in? Shifter opening?.. there’s a piece that has to be welded on there, right?
    Parking brake would be a little tricky. I know a guy that cut out that spot the cable passes through on a Mustang floor and welded it to his F/Z floor. Personally, I kind of like having the pedal parking brake. It's right for the car and different from a Mustang. It doesn't play all that nice with the aero dash though.

There's a shifter hole tunnel hump you CAN do, but don't have to. If you look back in this thread, I added it in just the past couple of years, so I didn't have it for a while, and now i do. You don't NEED it. I riveted mine in.

There's one more console bracket you need at the back of the console. I found that It needs to be about an inch higher in these cars than a Mustang. I made a spacer and then bolted it in.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Thanks for the heads up! Looking forward to your engine swap! As always your work looks great and the attention to detail is top notch. Have you ever tried the Phoenix bleed tool where you start at the furthest brake point from the master cylinder and work tour way to the closest? The tool pushes fluid into the system to eliminate any air bubbles. It’s messy but has proven effective for me at work with hard to bleed brakes. Maybe you can find a garage or someone you know has the tool? It basically pushes brake fluid into the bleed valves in reverse.

No, I never have. I've certainly thought of having someone else or a shop take a shot at it. It's hard to search for a place that "specializes in brakes". Well, yeah, anyone can change brake pads.

I'll give that a try though, looking for someone that has that though, thanks. I still haven't started tearing into the engine, so the car is still mobile for the moment.

Thanks for the kind words as well. I wish I felt as good about the car as other people do. This brake thing really ruins it for me. I am excited about the engine though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Because disassembly is more fun than assembly. Also, there's far less chance of being disappointed.

Trying to get at the front cover so I can get it ready to re-use. I'll do more tear-down before pulling the engine. I could have bought absolutely EVERYTHING brand new, so I wouldn't need any hardware or other piddly stuff, but that will nickel and dime you to death! I thought about re-using the anti-freeze, since I just did my radiator a year or so ago, but I guess it looks kind of nasty.

Maybe I'd re-use it if I wasn't going to a new engine. You might notice I didn't leave the power steering in place like I did the A/C. That's because I've been intending to go to synthetic fluid.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 05-04-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Kind of interesting too. I've noticed that my radiator hoses are due for replacement. It's the first time I've had to replace something, not because it was old or broken when I got it, or I wanted to upgrade it, but because it wore out during my ownership. I guess I've had the car for 14 years now! Time flies! You can see them brand new in this pic of the engine swap all done from 2006.

I haven't been putting enough miles on it to wear out stuff like brakes or tires. Yes, those things have been replaced, but for other reasons. I really hope that changes soon.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Did I ever ask you what is your newer intake manifold?
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Did I ever ask you what is your newer intake manifold?
    It's non-P Explorer. Has the EGR passages. It's actually one of the first things I did in this thread! Page 2! It needed a LOT of cleaning up (dirty with bubbling & peeling paint) when I got it, and the two sensor holes drilled and tapped.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Started cleaning up the front cover for paint. Here's what I started with.

It's supposed to be raw aluminum colored for a SEFI Five-Point-Oh, but I'm going to paint it to match the block with crinkle black. That way, I don't have to get it gleaming clean , and it will make the aluminum water pump and accessories pop. Also, on older engines, the front cover was always block color.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Think the front cover turned out pretty nice!

Kind of annoying the front cover gasket has all that "flash" that sits outside the area that actually needs sealing. Not sure what I'm going to do with that yet. It looks okay now, but once the car goes into use it's gonna get ugly quick, I think.

About ready to install the cam and degree it. I've been struggling a bit with how to do that and what all the numbers you get mean. I think I'll get it though. Other than that, I just have to remove the exhaust and transmission and the old engine is ready to pull out. None of that has been on there long enough to get rusty and give me trouble. I've got the upper intake off, and the front of the engine is completely disassembled now.

Oh, and I got a message from photobucket about how they've decided they aren't going to host grandfathered photos for free anymore, so the beginning of this thread is going to go back to being useless again.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 05-12-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Kind of annoying the front cover gasket has all that "flash" that sits outside the area that actually needs sealing. Not sure what I'm going to do with that yet.
    Name:  x-acto-knife.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  31.4 KB

Just sayin'.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Name:  x-acto-knife.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  31.4 KB

Just sayin'.

Mike
    So Mike what are you saying!

I mark and cut all of my timing cover gaskets before install when they have that extra area. Drives me crazy too.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'm trying to learn about scary things I've never done before like cam degreeing and valve adjusting and pushrod measurement. Maybe I've got no room left in my brain...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alright alright. Crisis averted.

Started removing the exhaust today, painted the oil pressure sensor too. I think I'll be ready to do the engine swap by next weekend! Maybe. I was planning on getting a lot more done today though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Had a little "oopsie" from putting the cam sprocket on backwards.

I was able to get the broken bolt out just turning it with a pick last night, luckily. So, that was nice. My replacement thrust plate and bolts are supposed to show up today. I think I have a decent handle on how to degree the cam now. I was a bit worried I'd stretched the crank bolt when I had to tighten it too much to turn the engine over, but it came out okay, and the spacer for the degree wheel seems to have taken the brunt of that. It got squished down a bit.

So, that's a good week's delay on that one. I've got the engine hoist in my garage now, so I'm ready to do the engine swap as soon as I get the time. I'm going away this weekend though. The first big show I like to hit, Apple Valley Ford All Ford Show, is the following weekend. Looks like the car's not going to make it again this year. Still got too much to do. The heads will have to go off to the machine shop to make sure the mating surface is flat, and then there's all the valvetrain stuff to do still.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

WOW!!!!! the luck of the Irish was with you getting that bolt out
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

According to my Irish family side, G""d lookes after drunks, C~ and kids. But not if your a drunk C~ kid. Don't ask me how I know.

Great work Brad. Bolt Extraction Expert. Awesome work brother.

Haha, thanks guys. Yep, not complaining! Fortunately, the crankshaft key is giving me the trouble the bolt otherwise would have.

Should get some time today to work on it. Hopefully we'll know the intake centerline by the end of the day!

Oh, and I picked up another one of those "every Fox is missing this" part, the clutch cable/fork cover. Pretty excited about that.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 05-24-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast