Close

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445
Results 1,101 to 1,109 of 1109

Test fitting my new h-pipe. I really like having the hanger at the trans mount. I'm fairly certain my old setup was at least crooked with nothing to anchor it there. I couldn't figure out how to put the bracket in at first though. Upside down? Backwards? Trial and error. It makes sense in my head that the front pipes that run from the headers to the H should be stock length. I shouldn't have to modify those because the drivetrain didn't change length. Right? So far, things are still lining up pretty wonky. I quit for the day and went and got some new hardware to make mockup a little easier. I think I crossthreaded one of the header flange bolts last time though, so that sucks. I couldn't even use normal bolts at the rear header flange positions though because there was no room to put them in. I had to use smaller nut and bolt combos. I guess I'll have to do the same there. I could be crazy, but it almost seems to me the socket on the pipe end (as opposed to the ball on the header end) is too big to fit well on the header. I hope I'm wrong. Also, it's hard for me to tell how critical it is that that joint be straight.

Anyway, I should have more time to mess with it today. I have to at least have it bolted up for the drive to the repair shop for my idle to get fixed.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Been tinkering with it when I get time. My son started having panic issues in mid August, so I'm pretty exhausted a lot of the time. Plus, since my car only serves to piss me off lately, my diversion has been learning about smart home stuff. It's a lot more fun than constant failure with the car.

I have the h-pipe bolted in, but things really didn't want to line up for whatever reason. The flanges are pretty crooked at the headers. I don't know why, but I'm done fighting with it. Moving on, I went to the catbacks where the shortening will need to happen. I cut both of them to start. I was trying to use a pipe expander so I could just slide them together, but nothing doing. I guess that Flowmaster kit uses decently strong tubing. Oh well. I guess I need to go buy some of those slide-on joints since I can't find decent band clamps to use. Oddly, it doesn't seem like I'll need to shorten them more than an inch. I don't know if my old h-pipe was way longer to begin with or not since I had to shorten it, and I haven't shortened this one at all. Whatever, I guess.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I have the exhaust trimmed and bolted together. It's all tucked up beautifully. But I noticed after I took the car off the stands that the tailpipes don't line up at all. Not sure how that happened. I pulled both of them way forward before I put it together. The passenger side one is still sort of close to the gas tank, but at least not touching it anymore. I don't know how much it's going to move around once I start driving the car. It might be okay.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

what mufflers did you use?
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    what mufflers did you use?
    They are the same Flowmaster 44s I've always had. I like the sound, they're just too damn loud and drone too much. I would go to 50s, but they are pricey. I still might, but I'm trying cats first to quiet them down. Then I might try resonators if that's not quiet enough.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Dynomax and Magnaflow have a similar sound with no drone. Just a thought

the other thing is tail pipes make all the difference. My 86GT with equal shorties and high flow catted X pipe and 40 series was quite literally nascar loud. Put tailpipes on it and it sounds a lot closer to stock than Id like but the obscenely loud is gone
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-26-2021 at 09:23 AM.

When I say nascar loud I’m referencing the fact that when I was coaching football my team could hear me coming in the city from at least 5 miles away. (Not kidding!)

I do have tailpipes.

I don't like breathy Magnaflows. Dynomax, maybe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, I secured the work I need done on the car. It will happen over the winter, which is fine with me. I might crawl under the car and try to see why the tailpipes still aren't lining up, but that's probably it for this year. If that all works out, I'll have it tuned in the spring, and we should be good to go for next season.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445