Close

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Yeah, it's tempting. It would take up floor space in my garage though. You may remember I have the smallest possible 3 car garage. Just barely big enough for 3 cars. And we do have 3 cars. And 4 bikes. And mower, snowblower, other kid crap, shelves for crap... and so on.

All we had time for today was getting the trans back on the jacks. It looks like the clutch disc did work its way off center too. So, if I fix that... it should help.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Transit Connect Titanium LWB
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    I've got a pretty bad oil leak somewhere on my Farimont too. It's either a main seal or an oil pan gasket. Not sure I'm going to try and solve that one though before I sell it. Glad you were able to hunt it down on yours though Brad!
    My car too. Figure Ill fix it, when I pull the engine. whenever that might be lol
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Got the transmission in. Now it's NEVER coming out again. I'm almost done putting things all back together. I'm planning some car time on Sunday, so I should be starting it up again. Whether or not it goes for a drive depends on the weather. It's snowing right now.

I had my 8 year old boy out there helping me the last couple of times. He gets REALLY excited. I'm so glad he's interested. It's just, he does get in the way sometimes, and offers me unneeded updates at the wrong times. "Dad? Dad, you glasses fell off." I KNOW!
    Brad

Haha, on the unneeded updates. You probably hate to admit you get frustrated, but...if I had an 8 year old son, very much I could see that being how well I'd handle it too. So cool that he's into it though!

I did my
    58 Vauxhall in line six trans and axle swap ,
    THM 400 350 HQ Holden engine swap,
    Weber 32/36 Carb to Hillman Hunter,
    Hyundai Stella to Mitsubishi Sigma engine swap,
    my Cortina-Mustang Cologne V6,
    my Falcon XE 250 in line Six Propane conversion
    and four 1969-1975 British Leyland Mini Four cylinder / 1966/1971 Austin America engine swaps on the side of the road in Halfway Bush, Dunedin.

My son was 1 for the 58 Vokky, then my beloved had two daughters, and from 1993 to 2001 when I left that address, My solution for kids was to invite friends over. I just deputized friends to child mind with the promise of free firewood to child mind while the Mrs was sent out shopping.

What I did is used the Works Consultancy Services, Opus, and Work Infrastructure company trucks and vans, the Toyota SR5 pickup, and then the Hilux foward control vans.

You kept the recipient vehicle titled/ rego-ed, and used the pickup and van to hold the donor engine or trans-pack in the engine lifter, and drop the whole shooting math in on the engine bay on the road side at 5 to 8 am before parking services came.

Maddest I ever saw was the packing service guy who read me the riot act on my 1974 1100 cc Mini Clubman....it had no front transmission or engine or wheels, I'd previously taken it out by lifting the front of the car by the SR5 pickup with a Cherry picker engine lift. He told me it was illegal to work on the side of the road with an un-road worthy car. I told him it was titled, and road worthy, just missing its tires...I ran into problems during the tire change. He got red as hell and left Parking Services, not before a nasty worded "no work on the side of the road, or you'll be booked" letter came in the mail.

That didn't stop me. I bribed the neighbors in a garage space for firewood deal. Made friends, influenced people.

The engine was under the toneau cover in the pickup.

Cord wood the new "old" currency, move over bit coins
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new
    84 Capri (needs help)
    05 Volvo XC90 DD( The Swedish Tank)...................Used to own
    08 Magnum (The Roadie Wagon)...........................Too many. the good ones
    95 Saturn SL2 (Kid's Ride).................................65 Chevelle SS, 69 Torino GT
    94 Saturn SL2 (now parts for above) ................39 Willys Overland, 69 Fleetwood, 86 Saab 900
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto (Waiting for funds)..81 Mustang T-Roof hatch, 88 Lincoln LSC,

Yeah, it certainly is a different life. I spend a LOT more time at home now, but it's not "useful" time like car time. Until the past few years, I never felt like I could leave them unsupervised. Not so helpful for getting stuff done on the car. And since I live in the "alone in a crowd" American suburbs, there's no "village" to help me raise the children. Until this year, I really never even saw neighbors outside. It's a pretty new subdivision with a lot of young kids (as in babies). Most stayed inside their fortresses. Doesn't help not being the most outgoing person either. So, no firewood economy going on here. The wife works retail pharmacy, so she's gone for a lot of dinners, bedtimes and weekends.

I used to be able to wrench all night if I had something that needed doing. These days I don't have the availability OR the energy for that.
    Brad

Got everything mostly buttoned up today. Put the new distributor in too.

This is what I had to put between the TFI module and housing. I think it's the right stuff. I had it from my taillight resistor project.

The distributor was very happy to slip right into its hole. At this point I'm fairly convinced I had the other one a tooth off. When I moved it over a bit, it lined up better with #1. We'll see when I start it up tomorrow.

It's been sleeting out today, so there was no rush to get it on the ground and running.
    Brad

Well, this stupid car just says "NO" to 2019 and there's just no fighting that. Warmed it up to operating temp today, and found a very enthusiastic coolant leak. By the way yes, that would be where the NEW radiator hose meets the NEW radiator.

Oh my g** F*** this.

So, who knows why that's happening. Earlier when I first started the thing, I'd forgotten to look at the gauges. Having a new engine really overwhelms me, hence I make stupid mistakes like this. Anyway, I stepped away for a few minutes to let it warm up. Everything sounded fine, so I had no reason to suspect anything. Then I remembered the gauges, so I went back to look. The oil pressure gauge read zero. Apparently the car thought it would be hilarious to scare the hell out of me. The stupid gauge sender wire just needed to be wiggled and everything was fine. Until I found the leak.
    Brad

The clamp looks a bit too far back to me. Like it is sitting on the barb of the tube by a hair, which would create a gap.
    1985 GT owned since new

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    The clamp looks a bit too far back to me. Like it is sitting on the barb of the tube by a hair, which would create a gap.
    Worth checking, thanks!
    Brad

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536