Close

Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Well, it was a tough day in the trenches yesterday. I got the cooling system all topped off and bubbled, so the time had come to take it out and shake down the new brake system. Backed a little ways down the driveway... horrendous noise acting like the rotors are warped. Okay, I kind of expected this because the front rotors are the only part left from the old brake system ('99-04 and '94-98 brakes use the same size rotors) and they had gotten stuck on and overheated the last time I drove the car. I figured they could be glazed or warped or whatever, but wouldn't know for sure until I drove the car. I went down to the parts store and grabbed some cheapies (since they were in stock) and slapped them on. backed down the driveway the second time. Still making a horrendous noise, but now smoother. I drove a little ways trying to get more information. It's hard to listen to noises the car is making with such loud exhaust. The noise is now a growl like a bad wheel bearing. I kind of think it could be something else just because of how bad it is. At that point it's dinner time, so i decide to wave the white flag and miss the car show that was today.

Another possibility is the rear wheel bearings because I replaced them when I did the work on the rear brakes, but I REALLY don't think so because I'm SURE I put enough fluid in the rear axle. Made quite a mess, I did. OR, i thought maybe this rust encapulator stuff I brushed on to the front spindles might have worked its way down into the bearings and wrecked them somehow. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure at least one of the front wheel bearings is cooked. I REALLY hope so because if it's something in the rear, that could get expensive...

Oh, and I also found out my coolant overflow tank is leaking. So, there's more money I get to spend. So, I've got the new fan controller coming, parts to move the fuel filler vent hose to a body hole instead of the filler neck body seal, a new coolant overflow tank, and then some wheel bearings. Once all that's done, and the new fan is ready to rock I can finally get the A/C squared away and call my 2016 projects complete.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 06-04-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Good job for actually being able to drive it.

There will always be little stuff to annoy the first few times out, ask mike about the monster.

Thanks. It didn't feel props-worthy, haha.

Yeah, I think that's why i didn't try too hard to make time for it on Friday. When i get to this point in a project, I've learned to "wait for the other shoe to drop". Like what's still broken? What didn't i tighten? And so on. So then I just dread it. Makes it hard to enjoy the car, but it's a necessary step if I'm going to get past that and be able to drive it a lot like I want to.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Haven't updated here in a bit, but here's what I've got going. This is our noise from the test drive.

I'm solving it by adding 1/8" spacers to the front. I will probably also have all 4 wheels machined for clearance, just so I can rotate the tires without worrying about it. At the same time, I'm adding 1/2" spacers and longer wheels studs to the rear to add back some of the "stance" I lost going to the shorter SN95 axles. I'm using good, quality, hub-centric spacers from Maximum Motorsports all around and hardened ARP wheel studs in the rear.

Next up, my cooling system revamp continues. I wanted to keep this factory sticker on the Mark VIII fan shroud, but it would have been cut in an obvious way after I'd cut the shroud for clearance. This was my solution. Just cut the French part off!

After that, I cut the shroud down by 15/16", as much as I dare cut it so that the fan will still spin without shredding my radiator. Other guys with Fox bodies, 5.0Ls and large 3-core radiators have had success getting everything to fit doing this, but this is the situation I've got.

Other than that, I've sold my previous SUPER nice fan controller and have gone with a DCC pulse-width modulation type unit. DCC is a pretty small company, so I think what they must do is build them as the orders come. It took over two weeks between their receiving the order and it shipping. It finally shipped yesterday.

So I'm waiting. Waiting for the controller to come, for the spacers to come (they're supposed to arrive next week), and trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do about the fan fitment situation.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Went for a little diversion today. This marker light lens has had this nasty scratching on it since i hit the side of the garage with the left rear quarter years ago.

I thought I was going to need to find a new one, or at least a better used one. But then i thought I'd try my hand at buffing with my Dremel. Sure enough it took the scratches out!

So, that was a nice little win for me.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Nice update.

Well, all my parts have pretty much arrived and are waiting for me to install them. Had some time today for the first time in over a week. Today's agenda: install the fan controller. I'm pretty much having to start completely over because this DCC controller works completely differently from my old one. All new wiring and everything. So, where to put this thing out of harm's way, and mostly out of view for my car's stockish theme? Here's what I came up with:

MAF bracket.

Custom bracket sandwiches in between.

Looking at it now though, i think i should round off those sharp corners or I'll be cursing myself down the road when i need to stick my hand down in next to it.

The wiring is progressing slowly. I'm probably looking at installing my old fan temporarily now until i can figure out a way to get that damn Mark VIII one in there. I just want to get the stupid car on the road. Once i finish with the controller I'll go back to dealing with the wheels and spacers. It's all ready to go, I just have to find the time.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-04-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I finished wiring up the DCC controller yesterday. I didn't quite finish buttoning everything else up under the hood so i could test it. I'm going to test the Mark VIII fan AND my old fan just in case. I have my old fan nearly installed temporarily. I installed my new overflow bottle I got from LMR, and the stupid thing is leaking where the hose attaches at the bottom. ran out of time before i could see what exactly the problem is. I tried moving and tightening the clamp, but it's still leaking. Think i might be looking at getting it replaced. So THAT'S pretty damn frustrating.

Since i decided to mount the controller on the passenger side of the engine bay, i had to use every inch of the wiring that came with it. I decided the best way to get the smart LED to the instrument cluster area would be to run it through the oval grommet for the main passenger side harness. It was a real pain getting the wiring through it considering how you have to really contort yourself to get to either side of it. Inside the car, it's up high on the firewall, so you have to stick your hand up into the tiny space between the firewall and ducting behind the dash. Plus, apparently that grommet is very thick and stiff, so wires do not pull easily through it. I ended up ripping the delicate little connector off the end pulling it through, even though i was careful to wrap it in tape so it would stay safe. But... not so much. So i get to fix that at some point if I want to have the smart LED telling me when the fan is on.

Then I started swapping out the rear wheel studs to 1/2" longer ARP hardened ones to go with my 1/2" spacers I got for the rear. I'm just using a lugnut and some washers to pull them through. I was having some trouble, so I decided to run a search here on FEP and see what other people have done, and then I remembered hearing about guys having to drill out the holes. I got into a bit of a panic when i found a post from Jack Hidley about how you will ruin your axle flange if you don't drill the holes when instructed to. My lug studs didn't come with instructions, but I was pretty worried. But then I looked on LMR, and it says they are direct fit for '79-04 rear axles. Whew. I did some measuring and found that if i drilled them out to 39/64, it might speed things up a bit, so I went on a fool's errand trying to find a bit that size. No luck. Wasted a couple of precious car time hours on that. So then i ran out of time yesterday and ended up ordering one online anyway, which i had been trying to avoid. Won't get more car time until next weekend. It's going to be close making it to the next car show, but what else is new? It's getting pretty damn old though.

No pictures today because Photobucket decided to be greedy a-holes and hold everyone's pictures for a ridiculous ransom in their latest "software update". F*** them.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 07-03-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Finished the rear wheels studs today, so that's all good to go! Drilling the holes first did speed things up nicely.

I figured out what was wrong with the overflow bottle too. There was flash left over from the molding process there at the nipple for the hose. It wasn't allowing the hose to fully seat around it, and when i tightened the clamp it sliced into the hose. Anyway, that's all fixed now.

I'll have car time for the next 3 days, so I'm hopeful i should have it roadworthy by next weekend for the show.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FINALLY got the chance to test my Mark VIII fan today with the DCC controller. Man, this setup is SO sweet! I hope I can figure out a way to get the fan in there. The controller has a nice, soft start, and the fan sounds like a jet engine!

Started grinding on the wheels too, but burned through a carbide bit wit' a quickness. Have to go to the store and get a few more. Should be able to finish that up tomorrow and then get them rebalanced. Then it's test drive time!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Today I finished up grinding the wheels. Here's a look at what I did for better or worse.

You can see the "rib" at 12:00 is the only one left to grind.
    I hope they're okay. I'm going to get them balanced tomorrow, so we'll find out then...

Here's a look at where the fan controller is hiding.

Here's a before and after for the rear wheel spacers. It's not exactly the same perspective, but you get the idea. A definite improvement!

Before

After

I also changed the oil and finished wiring up my old fan to the new controller since I haven't figured out how to make the Mark VIII fan fit. That will have to wait until after the show this weekend. Tomorrow will be retesting the fan setup and then test drive and setting up the proportioning valve (FINALLY) on the new brake system. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 07-10-2017 at 06:17 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, apparently not enough of you wished me luck. I got the wheels balanced. I got everything all buttoned up with the old fan installed and wired up. i checked again for brake leakes. I got insurance and tabs. And I was ready to start the car back up and test the DCC/Old fan combination cooling system and................ no fuel pressure. Considering it started up and ran the day before, I thought maybe it was out of gas. Not out of gas.

So, back out came the gas tank. I'm pretty sure the little hose came loose on the sending unit. I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem getting this part addressed well in time to make the show this weekend. But, considering i haven't driven the car since brake/wheel interference thing came up, any number of things could still go wrong. Anyone know a good exorcist?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Anyone know a good exorcist?
    Be gone evil spirit.......
    Name:  article-image-57.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  53.5 KB

It's all I got. Good luck Brad....
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Haha thank you

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Diagnosed the fuel problem today. I pulled out the sending unit and found this.

I figure what must've happened was, I put the sending unit in last time at the end of a day expecting to take it back out and double check everything before I installed the tank. But then the next time I got the chance to do car work, I figured it was good to go and installed the tank without checking it. So, problem found. But, just in case, I roughed up the tube to give the hose something to grab onto, and put a little bit of a bubble flare on there in place of the barb that's supposed to be there.

Then, as long as the tank was out, I decided to fix my vent hose so that it passed through its own hole, rather than a ripped hole in the filler neck to body seal. I put a new seal in, and added a new hole with grommet for the vent hose. Looks like this now.

Much better! So then after I buttoned the fuel system back up, I tested the fan setup and took it for a short drive before I ran out of time for the day. I missed the show today, but it goes all weekend. I should be good to take it up there tomorrow!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 07-14-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Kind of needed that little hose connected, huh?

I'm glad you got it running Brad. Post some pictures from the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Kind of needed that little hose connected, huh?

I'm glad you got it running Brad. Post some pictures from the show.
    Here we go. This was day one of two!

It worked out pretty much the same way it has SEVERAL of the times I've brought a car to this show. I busted my ass for weeks trying to get the thing functional enough to drive it to the show, "done" or not. Any "testing" is done on the drive to and from the show. It's a pretty long drive, especially from where I live now. It takes a good hour with plenty of high density stop and go traffic on freeways with long stretches where there's nowhere to pull off, for good measure. It's made for some stressful drives over the years, with my optimism decreasing each passing year. This year, as an added bonus, my wife had to work, so I had to bring the kids with me in the car. Having untested brake, fuel and cooling systems made for some frayed nerves.

But, nothing really went wrong! The brake system still needs to be dialed in with the adjustable proportioning valve, but the cooling and fuel systems functioned perfectly! My new aluminum 3-core radiator kept the car below the halfway point on the temp gauge with the fan running very little, except at a dead stop. And this was with temps in the 90s both days! The second day at the gas station, I boldly squeezed the trigger all the way on the gas pump, and pumped 5 gallons without stopping. It didn't click off once! Seems I may have FINALLY solved that problem!

It sure felt good to drive it again. I hadn't been able to do so since last June! Up next, I'm going to swap in the urethane rack bushings, and put the final bow on the brake and A/C projects. I still need to bring it to a shop to have that last A/C line made and then have them evacuate and fill it. Other than that, I think I'm going to do the rear shoulder belt project, and then leave everything else I've been wanting to do until next Winter, so I can get some time to enjoy it this year.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Did some work on the car this weekend. You can see two of the things i did in this pic.

Urethane rack bushings, and button head control arm bolts. The directions for the control arm bolts simply state all you need to do is jack the car up and have the suspension unloaded. Then, once you've unbolted the rack and moved it out of the way, you will be able to simply remove the old bolt and slide the new one in. Not true. The springs are still pushing down on the control arms, so the hole becomes misaligned as soon as you manage to move the bolt out far enough. You really need to have a jack below that spot to counteract the spring pressure. Anyway, the button head is a nice feature and I'm happy to have them. Even though i had to go on another wild goose chase for a seldom-stocked tool (getting sick of that), a T-55 torx socket.

Took the car for a ride today, and I'm happy with the difference the urethane rack bushings make! Definitely have more precision on turn-in.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, I was out trying to dial in my brake balance front to rear the other day and found that the rear brakes didn't seem to be operating at all. I got the adjustable proportioning valve all the way open and the rear end still wasn't coming around on me like i remember it doing the last time i was setting the balance and the rear pressure got too high. Messed around with a few things and did the old back up, then put on the parking brake thing several times, and the rears are definitely operating now. But even with the prop valve adjustment all the way open, the rear didn't come around on me locking up the brakes on a dirt road. Whatever, I guess. I'll have to keep that at the back of my mind as something i might have to mess with again later. So, now i can go and get the car aligned and have the A/C work done.

I did a few other things too. First, I fixed my parking brake pedal assembly. The release lever had flopped down and would sit on the pedal. Obviously that wouldn't do. Then, I took the neutral safety switch from my 1991 T-5, that doesn't seem to serve any purpose, out. I got a correct '87-93 T-5 harness and it only has plugs for the reverse lights and speed sensor. So my NSS was just sitting there with the wires just hanging. It bugged me. So, I found out the thread and size and got myself a plug and put it there instead.

As for my fan problem, it looks like I'm looking at moving the engine back. But I'm going to let that go until the season is over.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Nice progress. I actually installed Maximum motorsports solid rack bushings in mine and it helped a ton. I never noticed any increase in NVH at all and I love the way it feels.

Thanks.

Since I have the Cobra rack with the solid shaft, I thought this was a good way to go. May change my mind though, who knows.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

#$%^&
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-13-2017 at 08:04 PM.

#$%^&
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-13-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Alright, it's time to play Before & After/What's Different?

Here's the before, taken two years ago.

Here's the after

If you can pick out everything that's changed, you get a gold star.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I'll go first...new alt,relocate belt tensioner, battery, plugs wires and radiator cover.

Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast