Close

Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1278

Ok. I tried to keep the pedal but it didn't work out with the cobra disc brakes I have. I figured since you went to the mustang dash and console maybe you converted to the pull lever. I was gonna ask how to advice. Haha!

I've seen guys that have it online. One guy swapped over a section of Mustang floor so the cable could pass smoothly through. That looked like something I didn't want to do, haha.

I did some work yesterday, testing things to make sure everything worked that I had disconnected and stuff. Everything is working. I found what looks like a transmission to bellhousing bolt from that work last year, but when I checked them under the car, they were all there. So, I guess I don't know what it is. Later, I remembered I think maybe I replaced a lost one last year with a hardware store bolt, so I'll have to look at them again.

When I started this season, I put some cardboard under the car for changing the oil. This is still the first few oil changes of the new engine, so I looked at the oil for any metal in it. I don't think there is any. I bought this sideways can opener thing to hopefully be able to get into the oil filter, but it doesn't line up right, so I guess I have to come up with something else. I don't know what. Last time just cutting open the filter produced so many shavings, it didn't tell me anything.

I noticed a green puddle on the cardboard. I think maybe my brand new heater core is leaking. I'm pretty sure I cleaned up the housing and drain and stuff when I had it out, but I'm not 100% certain. I'll know for sure when I top off the cooling system and start the engine, which I didn't do yet. After that, I took some time to be really angry and disappointed. All that work for nothing.

After I got my head straight, I decided if that turns out to be the case, I will just bypass the stupid f***ing thing for this season and see when maybe I feel like doing all this again sometime in the future. I just want to drive the thing, although it really seems like that's just too much to ask. I really get why people give up on cars and park them in a field for 20 years without even looking at them.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

You might find out where the leak is with a system pressure tester...buy, rent or borrow one if you can. good Luck
    more foxes than cents

Quote Originally Posted by frinkspa View Post
    You might find out where the leak is with a system pressure tester...buy, rent or borrow one if you can. good Luck
    Thanks. I think I might actually have one somewhere.

Yesterday, I started on smoke machine 2.0 for vacuum leak testing. Then I had some time while I was waiting for glue to dry, so I decided I might as well start the engine. I disconnected the coil and spun it over with the starter for a bit. It gave me a scare when the oil pressure gauge never came up while doing that. I'd had a little problem with the connection at the sending unit last year, so I tried wiggling that a few times, but still nothing. I decided maybe it was better not to keep draining the battery since it hadn't been properly charged by the alternator in so long. I had it on a maintainer all winter, which worked out great. I couldn't be happier with that, but I felt like the starter was slowing down sooner than it otherwise would have. So I hooked the coil back up. The engine started right up, and there was a short second or less, but then the oil pressure gauge shot up. Whew.

I let it get up to operating temp. No sign of drips at the heater core drain. I'm at a loss to explain it. I'm fairly sure the puddle lined up with the drain, not the heater hoses.... I don't know. I guess maybe the next step is a test drive and then check it again. The stupid fan waited way too long to come on. In fact, it waited until I turned the engine off. WTF? I guess since I have this worry about overheating now, I'll turn down the temp it comes on. At least temporarily.

Oh yeah, and the idle is still really terrible, haha. I might play with the datalogging today and see if that tells me anything.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Fiddled with seeing if I could get Binary Editor, the Quarterhorse, and my Innovate wideband all talking to each other. No luck yet. In fact, I've gone backwards. BE now doesn't see my Quarterhorse either.

All the info I can find online is 10 years old, so who knows if it even applies anymore!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

That sux
    wish I could help!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Supporter

Don't know if you've come across this or not but a great Quarterhorse/BE resource and forum is below.

http://www.eectuning.org/forums/index.php
    '85 GT

Thanks, yeah that's where the 10 year old posts were about how to fix it. I'm sure I'll be back there.

Alright, so with Clint's help (from EECANALIZER.NET), I finally have a good connection to both my Quarterhorse and wideband. I'm very grateful he had the patience to deal with a newb such as myself. I still have a LOT to learn for how to use that software. I tried to figure out how to turn off my Thermactor/Air system so that wouldn't throw codes anymore, but couldn't.

I found my cooling system pressure tester and thought I would see what I find with it. I tried really hard to do it wrong and decided not to notice how the directions' diagrams followed a faint red arrow forward and then turn around and go backwards in the second row. Whose idea was that?! Anyway I was able to run a successful test, and no coolant appeared at the heater core drain! So, I guess I dodged a bullet there. No idea where that puddle came from.

I'm going to take these wins and run with them. It's too ****ing hot out to do anything else.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    SIGH. I don't know if you have an account there, but I tried to create an account and it's acting just like my last experience with The Corral where it just keeps telling you your password is wrong, even if you reset it. ARGH!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

some times I try to go there and NOTHING.... try to look for something drives me crazy
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    SIGH. I don't know if you have an account there, but I tried to create an account and it's acting just like my last experience with The Corral where it just keeps telling you your password is wrong, even if you reset it. ARGH!
    Sorry to hear that. Corral is a great info source
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Corral is a great info source
    Okay, nevermind. I was actually able to log into the Corral just now. For years though when I would go there, I would try to log in, and no matter what I did, reset or whatever, it would tell my my password was wrong and not let me log in. EECTuning is doing that now. Maybe I'll try logging into that again tomorrow.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    some times I try to go there and NOTHING.... try to look for something drives me crazy
    I went there once when I was first considering getting into tuning myself, and it really intimidated me. Thanks to the Leech Motorsports videos, I'm STARTING to be more familiar with some of the terminology, but I've got a LLLLOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG way to go. His videos are pretty good, but they are super specific in what they are trying to do, and he does a lot of "I mentioned that in another video... ". WHICH ONE?! WHERE?! WHO?! WHY?!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Okay, nevermind. I was actually able to log into the Corral just now. For years though when I would go there, I would try to log in, and no matter what I did, reset or whatever, it would tell my my password was wrong and not let me log in. EECTuning is doing that now. Maybe I'll try logging into that again tomorrow.
    If that ever happens to you again, let me know. I am a lifetime premium member.
    I seem to remember not being able to log in for a while but looks like that has been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    If that ever happens to you again, let me know. I am a lifetime premium member.
    I seem to remember not being able to log in for a while but looks like that has been fixed.
    Thanks!

So, I tried a few things with the car today. I had the timing all jacked from whenever that was the last time I was trying to make it run well. I seem to remember, I changed it, plugged the SPOUT back in, and it was pretty happy after that. Until I turned the car off and started it again. Then it resumed it's crazy rolling up and down. The same thing happened today. I put it back around 12 degrees, and it smoothed right out, until I went to move it and it died when i put it in reverse. Started it again, and rolling like crazy. SIGHHHHHHHHH.

I plugged in the Quarterhorse today, and Binary Editor decided it didn't want to see it again. I restarted the computer and did some other things, and finally got it back. Why? I don't know. If I have to put up with this thing fighting me at random, that's going to seriously **** me off. Anyway, I plugged in the wideband, and we were good there. Shocking.

So anyway, I tried datalogging for the first time. I didn't save a log or anything, I just wanted to see what BE could show me the car is doing. I tried the different "dashes" they give you so you can watch things, but I guess you need to go in and do some setting up of things before it works the way it's supposed to. So, that was of limited use to me. Like for example, I guess different computers can call the same thing by different names, and you just need to go into yours and find what it calls it. Anyway, I noticed that the Idle Speed Control duty cycle was at 45% and I'm pretty sure that's higher than you want. BUT... my Air Fuel Ratio was pretty lean. Spent most of the time in the 16s and 17s. I don't know about you, but that doesn't make sense to me. If it's wanting more air, why would it be lean?

So, I guess next is base idle reset. I kind of feel like I tried this already too, but it couldn't hurt to try it again, I guess. I sure wish the weather would cool off, but nope. Even hotter tomorrow.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Wish I could help ya bud.

I took it for the first drive of the season. It was very short, and went mostly fine except it would kill when coming to a stop. I wanted to warm the engine up pretty much to operating temp before I did the base idle reset.

So, I did that. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. unplug the ISC, and then start the engine. It wouldn't even start until I opened up the throttle with the screw. I had to open it quite a bit. Once running, I started backing it off, and went until it started rolling, and then opened it just a touch. It idles high now. Like 850-900. It really seems like this isn't the answer here. So anyway, you turn the engine off, plug the ISC back in, start the engine and let it run for 2 minutes with all accessories off. Turn it off for 2 minutes, start it again and run for 2 minutes with accessories on.

I took it for a bit longer of a drive after that. It didn't kill coming to a stop, but again, the idle is VERY high, so of course it's not going to. I think I figured out now that you have to go into Device Manager pretty much every time you plug the Quarterhorse in, uninstall it, and THEN plug it back in so it can re-find the stupid driver. Close out of BE or re-starting the computer might also be necessary. After all the riggamaroll, I did a nice long datalog for me to go back and look at. Hopefully it tells me something.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I'm thinking we're looking at some kind of sensor failure maybe. So I thought i would try some EEC self tests. I just had a little time today, so I thought i would use it to make an extension harness so I could use my little self tester while sitting in the car. Then I ran a quick KOEO. Here's what it gave me.

1 = ????
    5 = ???? possibly 15, which is ROM test fail, which kind of makes sense with the chip in the computer? Maybe?
    81 = Thermactor Air Diverter circuit failure. This system is not present on the car so this is no surprise. I'd love to know how to "turn it off" in the tune, but don't know how.
    82 = Thermactor Air Bypass circuit failure. Ditto.

Memory codes were confusing. It was 1, long pause 1 pause 1. The second time it was 1, pause, 1. So whatever that means.

More testing will have to wait until tomorrow. It's crazy hot again today, and I have other stuff to do. I'm thinking it will be prudent to maybe take the Quarterhorse out when I do more testing. I'll try a KOER and see what happens I guess.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

KOER codes today. Just had time to do a quick drive and test, but I've got a BBQ to go to.

44 = AIR system inoperative. No surprise again.
    94 = AIR system inoperative. again. Or something about a transmission control circuit. I'm guessing that's an automatic thing.

Cylinder balance test code 99 = ISC needs to learn (Let idle for 2 minutes, Erase memory and retest). Or another thing about a trans control circuit.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

^^^ that seems encouraging

FEP Supporter

Here's another great resource. Decipha is a wealth of knowledge. He's got "his own way" on some things but the results are always there. He even offers remote tuning services and you have all the hardware to get it done. I think this really may be the best thing for you to explore.

http://www.efidynotuning.com/

http://forum.efidynotuning.com/index.php
    '85 GT

Sailor Bob and Decipha. See decipha at FordSix on https://fordsix.com/search/4881/

When I did my data logging, I used the wrong dongle with the Car Code interface for EECV. It stopped my data logging, and it caused problems. Sometimes parts have incompatability issues, and the team are able to help you out.

Go back to his basics here.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    For the grand debate, hope this link works. I'm 100% in favor of the stock EECIV. The debate about what is better is like arguing what sort of language, grass or drugs you'd like.

I'm happy in the paddock Ford gave me in 1995. The EECIV is great, but anything 86 to 95 EECIV is cool too. So is a MegaSquirt, PIMP XS plug and play...etc...

See

https://fordsix.com/threads/someone-...8/#post-642159

Thanks for the resources.

I'll try the self-tests again. I'm especially interested in what the cylinder balance test comes up with since I'm not finding any fault codes from suspect sensors. It's actually a bit disappointing. At least if I'd found a sensor out of range or whatever that would explain why this stupid thing doesn't want to idle. Although the fact that it was willing to run the KOER at least tells me that the ECU is seeing neutral. My understanding is that it wouldn't run KOER at all if it didn't. Anyway, cylinder balance test. Some of those damn injectors are just too hard to get at to check with the intake bolted on. I am noticing that the learned fuel trims are different between the banks quite a bit. I guess don't know how normal that is. Maybe it means something, I don't know.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I asked my question on The Corral, and got an answer for how to disable TAB/TAD. The scalar "THRMHP" apparently asks whether the system is present or not. You just tell it not to do that. I did that, burned my tune onto the Quarterhorse, and re-ran my self tests. I got 11s for both KOEO and KOER, which is pretty dang cool, I gotta say. The idle may not be fixed, but I can bend the computer to my whim! (Evil Megatron laugh)

I got a 99 again on the cylinder balance test, so I guess that will have to be revisited later.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Glad to hear you had some progress
    every little bit counts lmao

Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast