Close

Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    According to my Irish family side, G""d lookes after drunks, C~ and kids. But not if your a drunk C~ kid. Don't ask me how I know.

Great work Brad. Bolt Extraction Expert. Awesome work brother.
    and Im half Irish....lol
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Well this is about where we've been at for a good week.

Trying to make sure I've got the cam right. After much discussion with some knowledgeable FEP-ers and Flowtech, we've settled on correcting my intake centerline gap (104 degrees dot to dot and 111 degrees 4 degrees retarded) with a new better quality timing set with more adjustability. I'll install that first chance I get, and then it shouldn't be any trouble getting us to that 107 degrees we're shooting for. I'm very happy we have a solution and can move on!

Getting ready to yank the old engine out of the car so I can get at the oil pan, clean that up, and install it (and the new oiling system) on the new engine at the same time as I install the front cover. The new engine probably won't go in the car until I'm done working with the heads and the rest of the valvetrain. It's just easier to do it on the stand, and with the heads on, I can install the hooks these engines use for lifting. The school year ended this week, so I've got no more responsibilities working at the school, but at the same time, it's really hard to get delicate engine work done with the kids around.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnndddddddd we're lost again. I received my new Rollmaster timing set, and it came with this.

WTF is that for? Will the directions tell me? Nope. Not a word. Turns out it's a brass washer that goes between the cam sprocket and the thrust plate because they are both "hardened" so you need something sacrificial in there to prevent damage. But wait, there's more! It comes too thick just in case of variance in manufacturing, so it's up to you to measure and make it the right thickness! How? Are you sure there isn't anything in the directions? Nope. Good luck, f***er! Better do it right, or your warranty's void!

Seems like so many "upgrade" parts are like this! "Here buy this shiny new part, it will make your car go faster!" But then, once you have it, only then do you find out, oh wait, there's all these other parts and processes you need to make it work.

My instinct with this build has been to go stock replacement wherever possible. I didn't necessarily know what I was going to run into each time I "upgraded" something, but it seems pretty universal what happens. Let's take roller rockers for example. With pedestal mount, you need to do all this f***ing around with shims and measuring to make sure they fit right. But you don't want pedestal mount, you want STUD mount! There are SO many more options with those! Oh, but wait, you need to take your heads off and spend all this money having them modified to accept the studs. ARGH! It's never just the one part! "Precision" where there wasn't meant to be any!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Got some car time today, and instead of dealing with the stupid brass washer, I decided to yank the old engine.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

about that brass (might be bronze) why cant you lay it flat onto sandpaper and sand it thinner to the thickness you need?
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    about that brass (might be bronze) why cant you lay it flat onto sandpaper and sand it thinner to the thickness you need?
    Yeah, I guess that IS what you do if you need to make it thinner. 'Woulda been nice if there had been some mention of that somewhere!

But the cam dragon has been slain! The washer actually didn't need to be modified at all, and when I went to degree the cam with the new timing set, we are within 1 degree of the target intake centerline! VERY happy with that!

Also, cleaned up and painted the oil pan.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I think tomorrow I'll rent the harmonic balancer installer. I was getting the water pump ready to install today. I noticed that the old one had these kind of ground down bolts holding the metal plate onto the back of it. The new one had regular bolts.

Since I broke one of the old one's bolts, I decided to grind down one of the new bolts to match. I could be crazy, but it seems like a good idea to me for the water pump to sit flush against the timing cover.

Don't know what the water pump manufacturer was thinking there. "Our new water pumps don't seal!". Also, I have no idea what this thing is for.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Another thread was circulating about the backing plate bolts being too thick, What brand was the pump?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Another thread was circulating about the backing plate bolts being too thick, What brand was the pump?
    AC Delco. I chose it because it was one of the better brands they had on Rock Auto, plus it's aluminum instead of steel.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I think tomorrow I'll rent the harmonic balancer installer. I was getting the water pump ready to install today. I noticed that the old one had these kind of ground down bolts holding the metal plate onto the back of it. The new one had regular bolts.

Since I broke one of the old one's bolts, I decided to grind down one of the new bolts to match. I could be crazy, but it seems like a good idea to me for the water pump to sit flush against the timing cover.

Don't know what the water pump manufacturer was thinking there. "Our new water pumps don't seal!". Also, I have no idea what this thing is for.

That looks like it "would" go onto the nose, where the fan bolts onto
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

[QUOTE=ZephyrEFI;1907755]AC Delco.[QUOTE]

Oh NO you didn't....!!!!!! That ford will reject it. LOL
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Oh NO you didn't....!!!!!! That ford will reject it. LOL
    Yeah, I know... It was gonna be a secret until you had to go and bring it up!

That might explain why they're trying to sabotage your cooling system though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Oil pump, pickup and pan installed! Front cover and water pump are torqued down too.

And i guess I rented the wrong balancer installer, so... that has to wait. And yes, I checked the oil pickup height.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Installed the balancer and did some more teardown on the old engine. I'd left most everything on the lower intake (except the upper intake ) so I had to remove the heater pipe to get at one of the intake bolts. I went to clean up the rust where the hoses go on to it. I noticed some serious rust scale build-up at the back. I'd had a nagging problem with leakage there and I think that might be why. I think I remember rushing it the last time I installed this thing and not bothering to de-rust the pipes where they're close together and I couldn't get my die grinder in there. Let that be a lesson to the kids out there, I guess, haha. Problem hopefully solved! And that's good because new pipes are $100!

Moving on, I got myself some assistance with the more exciting stuff.

He was thrilled to be able to help me. Most of the time I'm doing something challenging or delicate, and I really just can't have him around, so this was a nice change. Got it down to a bare shortblock plus a few things I plan to throw in for the buyer.

Heads are ready to bring to a machine shop to have the mating surface checked. I hate trying to find a machine shop. Seems like when you look in the yellow pages you get like 4-5 results nearby, but most of the time, it's just some suburban house or something when you look at it on Google Maps. Really? You got a whole machine shop in there? Don't think so. I absolutely hate talking on the phone, so I do as much research as I can before I commit my time to talking to these places. Unfortunately, with machine shops, that doesn't amount to much. They claim there's a machine shop at this address, here's the phone number, maybe the hours. That's it.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 06-17-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I know what you mean Brad, I have a set of AFR's (that I bought from......(a friend?)) so I went the machine shop at Team C and no more machine shop! but they recommended a shop named L and R auto...... so I hope they are ok... And good to see your young man helping with the build
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Yeah, it's frustrating. I ended up just going to Napa. They have my heads now.

I got some car time today though. I went to reinstall the shifter on my trans and put the bellhousing back on since I plan to install the trans as a whole unit this time. I decided to clean out and re-grease the Hurst shifter. It was pretty nasty in there. Presumably, it must've sat uncovered at one point. I have a new dust cover for it now though.

Went to put the bellhousing on, and found out, you need to tip the trans WAY upward to get things to line up. After my tranny fluid bath, I decided to quit for the day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

oh, I never knew napa has a machine shop? and my good news is that I finally got my capri running, and I drove it outa my garage today to flush the radiator and add coolant. it purrs like a kitten. I was sooo scared to start it after all the wire work I did, it sat there for 2 weeks and all I did was to stare at it lol
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Yep, some Napas do.

Congratulations! That's a big moment! I certainly understand that anxiety though. I am the same way.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Id like to give you each a huge plug.

"https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tail-Shaft-End-Cap-Plug-FORD-C6-Transmission-Output-Yoke-Tail-Housing-Seal/310408376161?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.M BE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180213162450%26meid%3Dc8c028 37e96e4a4cacd89640585ed628%26pid%3D100930%26rk%3D1 %26rkt%3D3%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D311328613655%26itm% 3D310408376161&_trksid=p2349624.c100930.m5375"

https://www.classictransmissionsolutions.com/

Its called carefull, guys.You each are a huge inspiration to me. Good work. "

The plastic extension housing plug is found here Brad

Tail shaft end cap plug

CT Solutions

CT6161

" "

Yeah... I keep thinking this will be the last time I pull the driveshaft off, so it would be silly to buy a plug now. How's that for wishful thinking? Just pulled the trigger and bought the plugs. Along with a tailshaft bushing and new seal since despite the recently replaced existing seal, it still leaked. This project is starting to snowball, but what else is new? I enjoyed this review on the plug kit on LMR

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 378
Size:  13.1 KB

Really, Dustin? Then don't write a damned review!

My show deadline is fast approaching. I haven't had any car time for a couple of weeks, but now I'm going to have to chip away at it every day and get some solid car time days in if I'm going to make it. The show is two weeks away! At least I actually got to take advantage of an LMR sale. They usually start right after I make a big order.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Got the heads back from Napa. So, at least I know I won't have to wait too long for them or anything. I've been pretty stressed about that deadline today. I decided to get down some of the trans-related parts I'd stashed around the garage in preparation for putting that all together today. And.... I can't find the bearing retainer. I'm POSITIVE I bought one, but it's nowhere to be found. Pretty p!$$ed about that. I'll try again tomorrow, and if I still can't find it, I guess I'll have to pay the stupid tax and buy another one. I don't need this right now.

On to the hands-on work. Since I ordered a new output shaft bushing, I needed to take the stupid shifter back off, so I could take the tailshaft housing off. I'm about ready to swap that bushing now. Doesn't look like there's much to it. Oh, and I discovered why once you go to an aftermarket shifter, people generally leave the dust boot off.

Oh, well. At least it can still do its job sort of. It's better than nothing.

I was considering having my lower intake gasket matched, but it looks like there's a LOT of material that would need removing, so I doubt I could get this done in time to put the engine together for the show. So, that's disappointing too.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Went to check Piston to valve clearance today.

... And, well, this happened.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...50#post1908950
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

So yeah, I thought I would take a break from all that and go and swap the valve springs to the ones I got intended to work with the cam. That should be simple enough, right? Nope. They came with two different sets of valve retainer wedge thingies that put the retainers in different positions. You think I know which ones to use? F*** no. So, I'm stuck again. This is really getting old.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I had misplaced the directions, and they had my answer. One set is for exhaust valves, and the other is for intake valves. Would not have guess that.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Got most of the trans work wrapped up today. The new tailshaft bushing and seal are in. It sure was nice to have that new bushing driver kit I bought. But, I'm not so happy about having to put the tailhousing back onto the trans. It's a b***h on a T-5. You have to try and put the thing on straight while trying to get the detent thingy onto the shift shaft while trying not to let the reverse/5th gear shift mechanism get jammed out of alignment (it will NOT go on if that happens). For me, it resulted in the detent ball shooting out, rolling down the driveway and disappearing. So... got to order a new one of those. Remind me never to take that apart again.

I also swapped in a steel front bearing retainer. I'd heard that the stock ones are aluminum, but if that's true, then someone had already done this upgrade on mine. The retainer I took off was definitely steel.

The valvetrain continues to be a struggle. More on that later.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast