Close

Threaded View

Well, it was a tough day in the trenches yesterday. I got the cooling system all topped off and bubbled, so the time had come to take it out and shake down the new brake system. Backed a little ways down the driveway... horrendous noise acting like the rotors are warped. Okay, I kind of expected this because the front rotors are the only part left from the old brake system ('99-04 and '94-98 brakes use the same size rotors) and they had gotten stuck on and overheated the last time I drove the car. I figured they could be glazed or warped or whatever, but wouldn't know for sure until I drove the car. I went down to the parts store and grabbed some cheapies (since they were in stock) and slapped them on. backed down the driveway the second time. Still making a horrendous noise, but now smoother. I drove a little ways trying to get more information. It's hard to listen to noises the car is making with such loud exhaust. The noise is now a growl like a bad wheel bearing. I kind of think it could be something else just because of how bad it is. At that point it's dinner time, so i decide to wave the white flag and miss the car show that was today.

Another possibility is the rear wheel bearings because I replaced them when I did the work on the rear brakes, but I REALLY don't think so because I'm SURE I put enough fluid in the rear axle. Made quite a mess, I did. OR, i thought maybe this rust encapulator stuff I brushed on to the front spindles might have worked its way down into the bearings and wrecked them somehow. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure at least one of the front wheel bearings is cooked. I REALLY hope so because if it's something in the rear, that could get expensive...

Oh, and I also found out my coolant overflow tank is leaking. So, there's more money I get to spend. So, I've got the new fan controller coming, parts to move the fuel filler vent hose to a body hole instead of the filler neck body seal, a new coolant overflow tank, and then some wheel bearings. Once all that's done, and the new fan is ready to rock I can finally get the A/C squared away and call my 2016 projects complete.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 06-04-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual