Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    So, while waiting for the penetrating oil to soak in to loosen up the distributor the other day I was looking for something to do. I grabbed the Recaros I had stored at a different location gave them a good shampooing, let them dry and then got to work.

While I had the seats out I took a look as best as I could behind the rear quarter panels and under the carpet for the build sheet but no luck this time. One day if the interior needs to come out, I will look better.

I am lucky they were in as good of shape as they are! The black in the fabric makes my carpet look more dull and faded.

I had to swap the carpet over and needed to make a small improvisation to get it to work but it did.

I think I like the feel of the seats. My wife tried the passenger side and didn't like the higher side bolster as it made getting out a little harder. I guess she'll have to get used to it for a bit

Reviving an old thread here.....but those recaros do look great! My question is do they need a different set of seat tracks/brackets? I have an 82 GT with the stock low back seats and am considering the pace car recaros.
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s
    05 Legend Lime Fastback - some mods
    05 Screaming Yellow Vert - even more mods including Edelbrock blower

There is an adapter bracket that allows the Recaro to bolt to the stock seat track. That was from Ford originally. There are several options these days to fit a set of Recaros in a Fox if you choose.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 5pointoh View Post
    Reviving an old thread here.....but those recaros do look great! My question is do they need a different set of seat tracks/brackets? I have an 82 GT with the stock low back seats and am considering the pace car recaros.
    I lucked out acquiring these! These came complete with the correct tracks and brackets. As noted, the one piece back had to have the carpet switched over to make it work but the front seats just dropped right in and bolted right up

I wish the car was running. I have not had any real seat time in these! I guess that saves the fabric from wearing

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    There is an adapter bracket that allows the Recaro to bolt to the stock seat track. That was from Ford originally. There are several options these days to fit a set of Recaros in a Fox if you choose.
    Are there repro adapter brackets that can be purchased somewhere? Are these other options easily accessible or can be purchased? You are a wealth of information! Thanks again for the tips!
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s

I lucked out acquiring these! These came complete with the correct tracks and brackets. As noted, the one piece back had to have the carpet switched over to make it work but the front seats just dropped right in and bolted right up

I wish the car was running. I have not had any real seat time in these! I guess that saves the fabric from wearing
    Hopefully you can have the car up and running soon! But those seats look like new! I am so jealous lol
    Current Mustangs:

Wow, I'm behind on uploading my progress.

The 82 TRW 20:1 rack came out and was replaced with a rebuilt 15:1 unit. The 20:1 is not easy to find a replacement for. With the change to this rack a change in PS pump was required.

A new pressure and return hose were required as the newer rebuilt Ford rack had different size connections than the TRW.

I had a small snag while reinstalling the PS pump pulley. Something jammed and as I tried to reverse it off broke the bolt off in the shaft. I managed to weld a nut on it and backed it out after unsuccessfully trying to drill and easy-out it.

Everything is looking good with everything back in with the painted brackets etc.

Everything went relatively smoothly. I thought while I was in this far, even though there were no visible leaks or anything, I might as well go and do this rack swap. The difference in the inner tie-rod seal stiffness is greatly improved from the original. No other issues with this swap other than a warning to check the steering wheel orientation before doing up the rag joint bolts completely. Disconnect, check and repeat.

I wished I could have done the SN95 rack and steering column swap. It sounds like the results are really good, but the extra cost for the end purpose of the vehicle didn't make sense. Plus the issues with inner tie-rods etc., etc. Not this time.
    Nice work. Since your a detail guy, all Fords rack and pinion units have diagonal rack cuts with a pitch that varies. Its made in the USA by TRW, but its design is sourced from an English Adwest design patent, which had other ratios from 1968 (JaguarXJ-6, Aston Martin DBS, Jensen FF/Interceptor)

The ratio is variable over the full turns lock to lock, so Ford (rightly or wrongly) call the TRW a variable ratio 20 - 17:1 steering box.

With rack limiters, it turns lock lock with a 15:1 ratio differ. Even the 15:1 ratio is variable from straight ahead to full lock. It was the original Jensen and Aston Martin ratio, technically 14.7 at straight ahead, but reported as 13.7:1 in some other trade literature.

Fords technical descriptions at normally bang on, but understanding them sometimes takes a lot of extra explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    BTW, the TRW racks are much slower steering than the 15:1 Ford racks.

TRW on center steering ratio is 20.03:1
    TRW at stop steering ratio is 16.05:1

Ford 20:1 rack on center steering ratio is 20.00:1
    Ford 20:1 rack at stop steering ratio is 15.97:1

Post 1987 Ford 20:1 racks have a different ratio than the above.

Ford 15:1 rack on center steering ratio is 14.7:1
    Ford 15:1 rack at stop steering ratio is 13.2:1

Note that the Ford 15:1 ratio racks are constant rack ratio, and the other racks are variable ratio racks. The rack ratio in these cases is the ratio of steering wheel rotation to steering axis rotation, so it isn't constant even if the rack is a constant ratio rack.
    And as a note, the basic parts of the Mustang steering were used in the SD1 Rover 3500 and TR8 V8.
    For the first two years of foreign 3500 Rover export (1979 and 1980) , the fast 15:1 ratio was used on those, and Wheels Magazine in Australia noticed the Saginaw power steering pump used to run out of assistance during hard turns. The Australian Cortina six used the same steering, but with a 20:1 ratio, and the earlier V8 steering pump.

Ford's USA and Australia's decision was to use the earlier ratio was to remove the sensitivity of the system, and not to have to upgrade the power steering pump volume.

Good info in this project. Is the 82 running of late?
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

I was thinking about this post today. I plan on getting my '83 back up and running, very soon. Nine-yr slumber!! I will replace the fuel system, blow-out the lines, rebuild carb, and shore-up any last min. details. It ran mint back in 2011, so I am at least somewhat hopeful. I'll also add SFCs and 35% Ceramic Window Tinting too. This Fall, marks 30 years since I entered the fray of Fox Ownership.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 05-02-2020 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added text

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    Good info in this project. Is the 82 running of late?
    Hi Bill, thanks for reading. For my own purposes I should have documented some of the details a little better. The car unfortunately is not running.

I left off after swapping the seats and where I had done some minor tune up work. Since then, the car unfortunately has not run properly. I did what I could for diagnosis and trouble shooting at the time. I did not want to dig deeper with the other projects going on (then and still). Next step would be probably pulling the intake and heads to inspect for stuck, burnt or bent valves. Not sure why the back firing through the carb. It was all discussed in this thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tarting-issues

The car is currently in a rented garage where I keep it and my SVO over the winters. One day it will get some attention again. At this time though it is last in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    I was thinking about this post today. I plan on getting my '83 back up and running, very soon. Nine-yr slumber!! I will replace the fuel system, blow-out the lines, rebuild carb, and shore-up any last min. details. It ran mint back in 2011, so I am at least somewhat hopeful. I'll also add SFCs and 35% Ceramic Window Tinting too. This Fall, marks 30 years since I entered the fray of Fox Ownership.
    Nice. Amazing how fast the years seem to go these days! I can't believe I have been back into cars for over seven years now! I bought this car in 1991 so almost 30 years myself! Good luck, hopefully you do not run into any issues and it fires right back up!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678