Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1985 motorsport mustang

Hello All, i am trying to get some info on a supposed 1985 "motorsport mustang", owner says it came with a doug nash 5 speed, detroit locker with 3.73's and few other exhaust mods.......o yeah, and a heavy cam? Trusting that you good people can help this pilgrim out.
    Michael Krebs

Almost forgot.....there were 250 built.....

FEP Supporter

I spotted an ad on eBay the other day that had the Ford trading card for this car. I can't seem to locate it again. I didn't think it was an 85 but I could be mistaken.

Supposedly came with an upgraded cam, high rise intake, bigger carb, hooker headers, 8.8/3.73 AND a doug nash 5 speed built through Ford Motorsport...........guy says its "factory" and were available through FM with 250 built..........i've never heard of anything close to this and we figured if anyone knew it would be FEP............I've got SuperFords as far back as '87 and every issue of MM&FF up till 2003 along with 5.0 mag, FORD performance etc. etc. and have never heard of this thing................here's a FB link where the conversation gets started.............

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1905...8206045891398/
    Tony Defeo was a god.....if you've never heard of him you're new school......

I tried to get pics of a Motorsport mustang awhile back but I was unsuccessful. I couldn't find anyone that had anything. When I posted my thread I wasn't even sure if a Motorsport Mustang/Capri/SVO even existed and because no pictures could be found I'm still unsure. Good luck in your search and if you do find any pics please post them up, I'd love to see this car (if it truly exists).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Blue View Post
    here's a FB link where the conversation gets started.............

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1905...8206045891398/
    You must log in to see this page.

I never heard of it. I can tell you ford motorsport did not have any doug nash 5 speed offered. They had their own Motorsport world class T-5. But no Doug Nash 5 speed.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

I believe Maple Grove / Ford car show and drag strip had these unique cars on display. If anyone has some old Super Fords from previous years. They had pictures of them in there.
    `82 Mercury Capri 5.0 4.speed / not RS
    `86 Mercury Capri

Default 85 motorsport mustang

*FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

After reading the facebook post. That is complete BS! 8.8" was not available until the 86 catalog. No Doug Nash 5spd. We could go down the list... but its not worth it.
    Steve
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    I tried to get pics of a Motorsport mustang awhile back but I was unsuccessful. I couldn't find anyone that had anything. When I posted my thread I wasn't even sure if a Motorsport Mustang/Capri/SVO even existed and because no pictures could be found I'm still unsure. Good luck in your search and if you do find any pics please post them up, I'd love to see this car (if it truly exists).
    there was a Motorsport Capri built in 1985. never heard of a Mustang version.
    the Capri version was built in small numbers for the Detroit Grand prix IV. click my signiture link for more info on the cars
    1985 Mercury Motorsport Capri Registry
    Official Pace Car of the Mercury Motor City 100 - Grand Prix IV

www.Motorsportcapri.com

I will ask a former ford sales rep that helped out on the Twisters 2's what he knows. I am not saying that Ford Motorsport didn't put together some cars to showcase their parts. But they would have showcased FMS parts only. Doug Nash has never sold a 5 speed in the FMS catalog. You would have to cut a huge hole in the tunnel for the shifter!!! Believe me I looked into them after blowing up my 3rd T-5 back in the late 80's! If one was available that fit I would have bought it!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

The car sounds an awful lot like the 200 or so "Ford Motorsport Nationals" Mustangs that were done up in 1985 at Maplegrove Raceway in Reading, PA. They were STOCK '85 GTs, used for a parade around the track for a "dealer drive away" program. They had a motorsport emblem above the 5.0 on the fenders. (Credit: Fox Mustang Recognition Guide).
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

I agree with everything said in this thread but since i wasnt 100% sure i didnt want to really say anything as the guy "swears" its legit WITH the mods it has which is BS.............figured there would be someone on here that had heard of it...........still waiting for him to post some documentation lol........

That sounds more like it. Great info Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z06 View Post
    The car sounds an awful lot like the 200 or so "Ford Motorsport Nationals" Mustangs that were done up in 1985 at Maplegrove Raceway in Reading, PA. They were STOCK '85 GTs, used for a parade around the track for a "dealer drive away" program. They had a motorsport emblem above the 5.0 on the fenders. (Credit: Fox Mustang Recognition Guide).
    Steve
    Previously owned:

I've seen the Motorsport Capri's (which are incredible btw) and here is the picture of the 200 white 1985 Mustangs used for the Motorsport Nationals that 02Z06 mentioned.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375794566.322925.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  22.4 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375794598.622890.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  28.7 KB

I just thought maybe Ford designed some cars using all Motorsport parts and accessories as a way to promote their performance parts line.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

still waiting for him to post some documentation lol........
    I don't think that will ever happen
    Last edited by David Claflin; 08-06-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Hopefully he does, some people take the search for what is hearsay and what is truth as a personal insult. It's not, but the problem is, most of these cars (IE Almost all, unless you were a Ford exec) were bought through car dealers. We've proved time and time again with 'factory freaks' and 'special order' cars, with Marti reports, buck-tags, and the like that they weren't anything special out of the factory. Dealers do crazy things, special editions, aftermarket part installs and most of the time just plain lying. I can recall recently an "SSP Hatchback" that was supposedly special ordered with SSP upgrades, and a mint was paid for it new. Turns out that didn't happen, as to be "special order" it must have a special order assigned to it, and thus a 6 digit DSO. It doesn't make the car any less special to that person, it just means that it's not what the salesman probably told him it was. Not any fault of the buyer, that's just the story of buying cars from car dealers. They'll say whatever they have to in order to get a deal put together. I have no doubt this car is one of the 200-250 motorsport cars, and it's the first one I've ever seen so that's super cool. But non-ford tuner parts installed on the assembly line and shipped to dealers that way, and we've never heard of this before now? Just not likely. Doesn't mean the car is a turd. You always prove against your hypothesis to find truth, rather than assuming what you want to believe is true (that this car came with x number of upgrades from the factory, ford risked huge lawsuits with the EPA to do so, and various other things that wouldn't happen/didn't happen/haven't ever happened).
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black

Couldn't have said it better myself! Summit Ford had to recall cars they had modified and they were just a dealer when the EPA got wind of what they were doing. Interestingly enough it was the gear changes affect on the advertised fuel economy rating that got them in trouble. So Ford wouldn't of been able to hide anything like that. Not saying that a handful of cars didn't get some performance mods... Summit did it, I am sure many more dealers than we are aware of did to!

Hopefully he does, some people take the search for what is hearsay and what is truth as a personal insult. It's not, but the problem is, most of these cars (IE Almost all, unless you were a Ford exec) were bought through car dealers. We've proved time and time again with 'factory freaks' and 'special order' cars, with Marti reports, buck-tags, and the like that they weren't anything special out of the factory. Dealers do crazy things, special editions, aftermarket part installs and most of the time just plain lying. I can recall recently an "SSP Hatchback" that was supposedly special ordered with SSP upgrades, and a mint was paid for it new. Turns out that didn't happen, as to be "special order" it must have a special order assigned to it, and thus a 6 digit DSO. It doesn't make the car any less special to that person, it just means that it's not what the salesman probably told him it was. Not any fault of the buyer, that's just the story of buying cars from car dealers. They'll say whatever they have to in order to get a deal put together. I have no doubt this car is one of the 200-250 motorsport cars, and it's the first one I've ever seen so that's super cool. But non-ford tuner parts installed on the assembly line and shipped to dealers that way, and we've never heard of this before now? Just not likely. Doesn't mean the car is a turd. You always prove against your hypothesis to find truth, rather than assuming what you want to believe is true (that this car came with x number of upgrades from the factory, ford risked huge lawsuits with the EPA to do so, and various other things that wouldn't happen/didn't happen/haven't ever happened).
    Steve
    Previously owned:

They could have bought the cars, modified them, then sold or raffled them as second hand cars. That would relieve Ford of the new car liability. But I never heard of this happening. Most likely this whole story is just an urban myth.

PaceFever - This was quite common actually. There were tons of dealer modifications done "post title." I have no doubt when the owner bought this car new and was ready and willing to sign, that the dealer offered to upgrade whatever he liked. Same thing that is done with the 'upgrade superchargers' from FMS right now and the various motorsport suspension packages, FMS tunes, etc.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black

FEP Power Member

Yes, it sounds more like one of these cars. These were all regular cars, white and some with black lower panels. Most were already sold to customers. I was there. I have some stickers and can make my own car to sell.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Supporter

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I spotted an ad on eBay the other day that had the Ford trading card for this car. I can't seem to locate it again. I didn't think it was an 85 but I could be mistaken.
    Ha! I knew I would find it. I had to go through the search history on my work computer to find it this morning. (shhh) Oh and definitely not an '85!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1982-1983-FOR...#ht_721wt_1091

Name:  Motorcraft Mustang 2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  30.5 KBName:  Motorcraft Mustang 1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  32.8 KB

Can you make out what it says on the back? "seven were built as feature vehicles for the International Championship Auto Series. Five were awarded as prizes and two are in the Ford Motorsport program."
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

As posted by the owner this morning...........He is claiming it came from Ford Motorsport as it sits not as a dealer modded car and thats where i have a problem with the story..........not trying to start crap with the guy or anything i just found it extremely odd i had never heard of such a "beast". I assumed he was just mis-informed but he's sticking by his guns.........

OK I have seen all kinds of arguments on this, once again to clear things up....It was not modified by Ford, It was Modified through Motorsport, it was taken off the line at Ford and sent to Motorsport, they made them to compete with Saleen and Steda Mustangs that also were taken from Ford and Modified. To the guy who said the 8.8 was not in the catalog until 1986, that doesn't mean they didn't have it made, it could have been in testing or new! I know stuff that never gets in a catalog for a few years. Ford would not have anything to do with this it would all fall back on Motorsport, I have also seen other talking about the Capri Motorsport and a 1985 GT Motorsport so where is the doubt on them people? Next up I have to run all the numbers and stuff but I am sure I was told that the Tranny was a Nash Tranny, and yes they would have modified the car for it to fit, that only makes sense! Just because a group of people have not heard of them does not make it fake people. I did not buy this new from a dealer and what I heard these were never to be just sold to anyone, they made these special and no dealers had them unless an owner bought one for himself. I got lucky and found one that someone didn't want for what ever reason, they traded it, the dealer had no ideal what it was and I didn't either at the time I got it. I didn't know what was going on other than it had more power than any other Mustang I had driven (I have driven a lot of very fast cars), it had strange tags and decals and it had a different set up than all the other 1985 Mustangs. Now give me time to find my books and other papers and then some of you will be apologizing! Everyone else will then be able to say they have seen one with proof! Although I think a few people have already seen proof....

Also the Jet fuel was a one time deal, I usually ran Cam2 or Turbo Blue in it and as far as burning the valves, it has Stainless Steel Valves in it, I know I had to replace them once and they cost a fortune and were hard to find!

Thanks for posting that. I will clarify my BS comment. The BS is that 200 to 250 of these cars were modified like his. I won't argue until we see pictures that the car he has does have all these parts claimed. This may very well have been a test pony car for FMS. I would be interested to see if it has AR-1 Alan Root heads that FMS eventually sold. The problem is that unless the parts on the car date back to 1985. It will be hard to prove its authenticity.

As posted by the owner this morning...........He is claiming it came from Ford Motorsport as it sits not as a dealer modded car and thats where i have a problem with the story..........not trying to start crap with the guy or anything i just found it extremely odd i had never heard of such a "beast". I assumed he was just mis-informed but he's sticking by his guns.........

OK I have seen all kinds of arguments on this, once again to clear things up....It was not modified by Ford, It was Modified through Motorsport, it was taken off the line at Ford and sent to Motorsport, they made them to compete with Saleen and Steda Mustangs that also were taken from Ford and Modified. To the guy who said the 8.8 was not in the catalog until 1986, that doesn't mean they didn't have it made, it could have been in testing or new! I know stuff that never gets in a catalog for a few years. Ford would not have anything to do with this it would all fall back on Motorsport, I have also seen other talking about the Capri Motorsport and a 1985 GT Motorsport so where is the doubt on them people? Next up I have to run all the numbers and stuff but I am sure I was told that the Tranny was a Nash Tranny, and yes they would have modified the car for it to fit, that only makes sense! Just because a group of people have not heard of them does not make it fake people. I did not buy this new from a dealer and what I heard these were never to be just sold to anyone, they made these special and no dealers had them unless an owner bought one for himself. I got lucky and found one that someone didn't want for what ever reason, they traded it, the dealer had no ideal what it was and I didn't either at the time I got it. I didn't know what was going on other than it had more power than any other Mustang I had driven (I have driven a lot of very fast cars), it had strange tags and decals and it had a different set up than all the other 1985 Mustangs. Now give me time to find my books and other papers and then some of you will be apologizing! Everyone else will then be able to say they have seen one with proof! Although I think a few people have already seen proof....

Also the Jet fuel was a one time deal, I usually ran Cam2 or Turbo Blue in it and as far as burning the valves, it has Stainless Steel Valves in it, I know I had to replace them once and they cost a fortune and were hard to find!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast