Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Motorcraft battery?

I just got back from my local Ford dealer and I'm mystified. It seems that Ford is no longer making the specific battery that fits the battery tray on my '82 GT. None exist in stock in North America and they are on back order. What does a guy do if he wants a Motorcraft battery?

Ford is not in the business of keeping your 82 GT on the road with a new Motorcraft Battery.

Although they do have a Motorcraft Battery that will fit a 2013 GT . . . would you like to up grade!?

Sorry I couldn't resist. Unfortunately I am sure it's a matter of just not enough sales to continue production on that size and style of battery in Ford's plan. If you want the look of the Motorcraft battery check out the thread here http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...rCraft-Battery where a FEP member painted his Interstate (IIRC) and made decals to make it look like a real Motorcraft Battery. I believe it was red78 that did it, you can probably PM him and go from there if you are interested.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Exactly why I purchased a couple for the '88 and '89. Sooner or later than will discontinue those. I just wish they would sell them dry instead of filled.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Default change the battery tray

Changed out the tray in 2006 to a larger and similar design one from a Dodge Caravan.
    Tight fit.
    Installed a 36 group battery.
    no issues

I could really care less what battery is in my car as long as it fits properly and can be secured to the tray with the stock mounts BUT.... I was (for curiosity's sake) going to enter my car in the stock judged category at Edmonton's Fun Ford Weekend recently and the "rules" stated that I had to have a Motorcraft battery.(?) No big deal, really since I needed to get that part of my car sorted anyway. The battery that was in it when I bought it was a Chrysler battery that was too big and was just sitting in the tray! I find it curious that the event organizers would choose to exclude anyone from that part of the event that doesn't have a stock battery! That means... almost ALL OF US since Ford doesn't make new replacements and they are a wear item. Seems a bit snobby to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Ford is not in the business of keeping your 82 GT on the road with a new Motorcraft Battery.

Although they do have a Motorcraft Battery that will fit a 2013 GT . . . would you like to up grade!?

Sorry I couldn't resist. Unfortunately I am sure it's a matter of just not enough sales to continue production on that size and style of battery in Ford's plan. If you want the look of the Motorcraft battery check out the thread here http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...rCraft-Battery where a FEP member painted his Interstate (IIRC) and made decals to make it look like a real Motorcraft Battery. I believe it was red78 that did it, you can probably PM him and go from there if you are interested.

Good Luck!

Trey
    So I just went to Interstate and got a battery that fits like a glove. No fuss, no muss. As it turns out I took the time to remove my battery tray, clean up some dirt and surface rust underneath. Bought a quick disconnect terminal and put it all back together. Looks nice and clean and now I can actually do some drag racing and auto-crossing since the battery is no longer flopping around under the hood! To heck with bowing down to the preservation gods.
    Thanks for your sage advice.

All,of this started with installing a new under hood light! LOL.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Yep, bought a spare for both the 86 and the 89. Figured they would discounti ue sooner or later. Guess I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mohacsy View Post
    So I just went to Interstate and got a battery that fits like a glove. No fuss, no muss. As it turns out I took the time to remove my battery tray, clean up some dirt and surface rust underneath. Bought a quick disconnect terminal and put it all back together. Looks nice and clean and now I can actually do some drag racing and auto-crossing since the battery is no longer flopping around under the hood! To heck with bowing down to the preservation gods.
    Thanks for your sage advice.

All,of this started with installing a new under hood light! LOL.
    Glad to help!

Congrats on getting is all sorted out and fixed! Just a thought if you have any interest, the painting and decal conversion of your battery to a Motorcaft look alike might be a great winter project if you are inclined. Besides if done well enough maybe you can fool the judges too.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Go to a Motorcraft dealer they still have them.
    The car dealers don't stock them, they don't carry FL1a oil filters either.

Quote Originally Posted by 85asc239 View Post
    Go to a Motorcraft dealer they still have them.
    The car dealers don't stock them, they don't carry FL1a oil filters either.
    Going to a Motorcraft dealer is fine, but if what the OP posted above is true that they are on back order and none exist in North America, it won't matter where you go.

Heck when I worked for a Ford Dealer and as far as I know, most if not all of the Ford dealers order their parts from the Motorcraft Distributors and not from Ford. So if a Motorcraft Dealer can get it, so can any decent Ford Dealership.

Trust me, Ford Dealerships don't want to stock anything that doesn't move off the shelves frequently. Besides why should they stock something that the Motorcraft Distributor does and they can it there the same day or next day.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

I ordered my last 56 motocraft from a dealership. its took months, but, I didn't care I didn't need it anyway. I couldn't find it anywhere else. My friend at the dealership said it would take long because they had to ship via ground because of the acid. I forgot about it for months until one day I called and asked if it had shown up. they couldn't find it initially, it wa sitting in a dusty corner. I was happy to finally get it. I think these are getting a lot tougher to get, I bought one last year and it was at the dealership in a couple od days.
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Going to a Motorcraft dealer is fine, but if what the OP posted above is true that they are on back order and none exist in North America, it won't matter where you go.

Heck when I worked for a Ford Dealer and as far as I know, most if not all of the Ford dealers order their parts from the Motorcraft Distributors and not from Ford. So if a Motorcraft Dealer can get it, so can any decent Ford Dealership.

Trust me, Ford Dealerships don't want to stock anything that doesn't move off the shelves frequently. Besides why should they stock something that the Motorcraft Distributor does and they can it there the same day or next day.

Trey

FEP Supporter

Still available I found. $133 special order.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...or-86-GT/page2

'86 battery is available. I just got one from Ford dealer couple months ago that was under replacement warranty. The one from 5 years ago that went bad said made in usa on it. The one now not so much. It doesn't say where it is made.

I think there are only 3 battery manufacturers in the USA. Johnson Controls, Gould, and Exide. Motorcraft and Interstate used to be made by Johnson Controls and probably still are since they seem to be the best quality of the three. I'll bet you could be still get the Motorcraft battery from an auto parts store that sells Motorcraft brand parts. The other poster is correct, dealerships only stock what sells, period. Old car parts for a dealer is anything that is out of warranty. So that would make a 5 year old 2008 model car fairly old and getting to the age of fading away from their business model. Owners of cars that old just do not take their cars to dealerships for repair after they get to that age and usually the car is on its second or maybe third owner by the time its 10 years old.

It's funny to compare time frames, our cars are about 30 years old now, if today was 1975 you would be trying to find parts for 1945 model year car. Wow!
    JK
    1983 Capri RS Turbo (since new)
    1970 Boss 302 (since 1980)
    1965 Mustang Coupe (since 1976)

FEP Member

Not gonna help the op out but figured id mention that i work at the plant that produces all the battery acid that johnson controls uses on the east coast!
    '86 SVO *Jenni* 2R Sunroof, Leather (Restoration in Progress)
    '06 GT G2 Vert auto 13.0 @ 105

Last edited by javdog; 07-12-2015 at 02:33 PM.

The Motorcraft BXT-56 batteries are available from Ford again. What still aren't available anymore are
    the lower-priced BXL-56s.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

FEP Member

Does anybody run the motorcraft bxt-56A?going to pick one up tommorrOw at the local Ford dealer.139.99 with a 18 dollar core charge.3 year warranty.not a bad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    Does anybody run the motorcraft bxt-56A?going to pick one up tommorrOw at the local Ford dealer.139.99 with a 18 dollar core charge.3 year warranty.not a bad deal.
    I do. Im happy with mine.

FEP Member

Great thanks!! I got mine in today.looks good and working like it should��

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Changed out the tray in 2006 to a larger and similar design one from a Dodge Caravan.
    Tight fit.
    Installed a 36 group battery.
    no issues
    I know its an old post. My question is is what year and model of Dodge Caravan?

I've got a 1979 Fairmont as well as my 1982 Cougar and we get down to -40 F up here in Winnipeg during the Winter. AND we don't have much sunlight with all the cloudy/snowy weather. The Batteries have a hard time handling the heater and rear window defrost, plus headlights.

Any help would be appreciated.
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

Wow that is a old post- now to update
    Back in the 80's, had a block heater installed. Always started faster on bitter winter days, had heat/defrost faster too.
    Would plug in in at work too to get the hey out of there faster.
    Dodge battery tray year unknown. Got it from salvage yard.
    Selected because it was the widest that would fit front (rad support) to back and easiest to harvest that day.
    Next time wont be so cheap and will buy a new large tray.
    The Dodge one is fiberglass or something and cracked at the holdown bolt hole. Needed block of wood under it.
    Been thru 3 different battery BCI group sizes since the 2013 post.
    36R 2006-2011 650/810 the battery in post
    58R 2011-2012 WM Everstart neverstart
    58R 2011-2015 WM Everstart warranty replacement. Wm was less expensive but is of false economics.
    96R 2015- current Exide Classic same size as Mustangs and others use in the last 10 years. Same as 40R?

Group Size (BCI): 96R; Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 600 CCA; Cranking Amps (CA): 740 CA; Voltage (V): 12 Volt; Length (In): 9-9/16 Inch; Width (In): 6-7/8 Inch; Height (In): 6-7/8 Inch

Just checked Mustang's battery voltage today. 12.8v after slow trickle recharge.
    Have had battery on an Exide 1.5a on board charger for last 2 days to top it off. Was at 11.5v. Not started in 3 weeks.
    Water level is ok. Checked it in summer when they may get low from hot weather.

Semi or full synthetic oil can help cold cranking if not already used.
    Make sure alternator is putting out enough amps to recharge a larger battery and run extra cold weather loads.
    Mine is a 70a.
    The on board 1.5a trickle charger keeps the battery warm too.
    Schumacher brand 1.5a is the real deal and decent price. Solar brand #1002 looks exactly like my Exide.
    IMHO battery tender brand is overpriced junk.
    If buying a fresh battery, make sure it reads 12.6+ before taking it home.
    Have added extra ground cables in the car and truck's engine bay for insurance.

Reg battery hold down bolts rust, corrode, and are a bitch to remove after 10 years.
    Am using a 3/8" (?) clothesline hook and antisieze for the holdown bolt and a nut on top for socket.
    The hook goes on the bottom and catches the tray when turned. Thread up thru holddown and holes. Add nut on top.
    No tool needed to hold a upside down bottom bolt head you cannot see.

Ranger gets Motorcrafts never used any other brand. Current battery purchased from dealer 2013. Was at 12.1 today. Time to retire it soon.
    Mustang will also get a Motorcraft when the time comes.
    Last edited by gr79; 11-28-2021 at 07:59 PM.

a junkyard in michigan city, brinkmans, was selling reconditioned batteries.
    they were flushed , treated refilled. sold for apx 60 bucks.
    i tried one, then another, now have 3 but he is closed. BEST BATTS I EVER HAD !!
    done somewhere in wisconsin,,,?
    find the rebuilder and have yours rebuilt...
    he had a rack full, all brands, all i got are still good..just sayin...

Default alternative battery hold down bolt

An old hold down bolt seems to always be a problem when replacing a old battery.
    So old, cant get any tool on it to even snap or cut it off. Worry about battery being temp. loose later.

Think have found one solution by chance. One of those that lit the 'idea bulb' one day.

Picture of the battery hold down hook been using since 3/2020 in the Ranger.
    Checked it today shiny threads and nut. Defiantly will allow quick battery change out soon.
    My notes do not say if the thread length was cut down, but most likely did cut it shorter.
    Two flat washers were also used on top of battery hold down bracket under the nut.
    Going to add a vinyl cap to cover the threads if i could only not forget to do that.
    And remember to get another hook and do the same for the Mustang's battery.

National Hardware calls this a Garment Hook. Garment? Also know as a clothesline hook bolt.
    Pic is a 3/8" x 7" threaded zinc plated Hook Bolt with two nuts is like 2 bucks at Lowes.
    Last edited by gr79; 11-30-2021 at 06:09 PM.

Almost got stranded the other day. Got lucky had to roll start the truck.
    And with a brand new 12v booster jump box sitting at home...

40's outside today. Big snow storm predicted, then back into the deep freeze.
    Yesterday went to local Ford dealer and purchased a new BXT-65-650 battery.
    139.95 with core exchange 148.35. Tested 12.8v at the counter.
    Kept the old battery gave them a WM Neverstart as a core.

Replaced the 9 year old Motorcraft battery in the Ranger. Reused the red anticorrosion post donuts.
    Battery hold down mod with the hook made battery changeout a 10 minute job.
    Making up too many hours spent in the past fighting to get car batteries out.

Although 9 years old, the old battery volts test at low 12's after sitting.
    Starts engine, but time to retire it. Ok for backup use. Stow in shed.

Also picked up a new 1 amp automatic battery maintainer to be installed onboard at a later date. 18.00.
    Have a similar one onboard the Mustang keeping the battery at 12.8-13v for couple cold winter weather weeks now.
    Measured the charger power use at 3w.
    Last edited by gr79; 10-25-2022 at 02:14 PM. Reason: edit wording

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast