Close

Thread: boring interior

Default boring interior

Hi guys, dont know if any of you consider kind of boring the gray interior in the svo's ... i do!
    is anyone around here that has modified the interior color? post some pics please.. i mean.. i think my black svo would look prety nice with tan interior..

I don't think the SVO interior is boring, I actually think its the nicest overall interior ever put in a fox. I do agree that Ford should have offered other color choices beyond grey though. I love tan interior cars and as long as you don't care about the originality of your SVO, I say "go for it." A Black and Tan SVO would look awesome!

My 86GT originally came with a sand beige interior, but I found some caramel Recaro's, so I'm planning on changing my interior from sand beige to caramel. Here is a pic of my seats (sorry if everyone is tired of me posting pics of them...I can't help it...I love the look so much...lol).

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375112323.733606.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  19.2 KB
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

didnt mean boring about the design.. i do love the fox interior.. i was talking about the color.. grey.. boring gray!!

I would have to say that IMHO the SVO interior is not boring, but more subdued. There is nothing overly exciting about it, but it's a good looking interior.

As I have gotten older (hopefully a bit wiser too! ) I have grown to appreciate the different color interiors that Ford offered in the Foxes over the years, that include the reds, blue, beige, Chamois, Caramel, Vaquero, and even browns. You don't see as many of these today and it's neat and cool to see a different color than the standard black and gray Mustang interiors. I am still most of the time a gray or black interior guy, but I do like to add some color when possible. Such as bring the exterior paint color inside or adding a splash of color to brighten things up.

I personally have the all red interior in my 82 GT and plan on breaking it up with some black and silver accents to liven things up, but keeping the intent of the original red intact. I am also building an 86 coupe for my daughter and I am trying to do something new and exciting with that interior too, but it's too soon to let the cat out of the bag on that one, I still have to see if we can do what we hope and want to do.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I guess you could have it switched to any color you want. It would just take some money. A trim shop could just take your seat covers apart and make patterns from them. Finding the rest of the interior parts / panels / carpet in tan might be a challenge though.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

That's a great idea Trey, adding some subtle touches to the interior to liven things up (thanks for teasing us about your daughters interior, now I'm dying to know what your plans are). I second what Ken said as well in regards to finding tan parts. I've been down that road with my 86 and it is hard to find tan interior pieces. You could always dye whatever you can't find, but I'm not sure how you feel about that.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I can only imagine how hard to find the interior parts in any particular color .. Never cross my mind to start a search For them ... I was actually thinking in dying.. I guess it will looking awesome .. Black/tan combo ..

Thanks for the compliment Mike!

I think the biggest issues with most Fox interiors is that they seem to be last area of attention if they get any at all!

I can't tell you how many Foxes I see that have the drivetrain, body work, paint, and wheels, but the interior looks like a 3 year old did it!

I believe you can make a Fox interior really stand out and look great with just a bit of creativity, planning, and execution. I hope I can illustrate that with my daughter's! I am sure it will be something that some love and some hate, but heck that's what makes things exciting!

I will spill the beans as soon as I nail down all the final details. I am trying to do something unique, but having a little trouble getting it all to come together they way I want right now. I should know more later this week, but it will still be a while until I can post up all the details.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'm not sure if it was here or some other site but I remember somebody wrapping their dash, pad and lower section, in leather. Really nice stitching with seams that followed the corners and some of the curves. Looked similar to a Porsche or other high end performance car. Matched the stitching on the wheel and shifter boot etc. If I had the money I'd like to have that done someday.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

That was 69Clark - THREAD LINK

Given my car is stock, I'm not going to do any interior mods. But otherwise, I'm always impressed when someone does some subtle interior mods which contrast the base color and/or tie to the paint color. Those touches really make a car in my opinion.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I wonder if it would be prudent to purchase some used bits and modify them. That way if you decide you don't like some stuff you can always "reset" and go back to stock OEM. With used bits you can have as many do-overs as you want. With original bits if you mess up or don't like what you did or your tastes change in a few years you are toast. Just my 2 cents worth.....

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mohacsy View Post
    I wonder if it would be prudent to purchase some used bits and modify them. That way if you decide you don't like some stuff you can always "reset" and go back to stock OEM. With used bits you can have as many do-overs as you want. With original bits if you mess up or don't like what you did or your tastes change in a few years you are toast. Just my 2 cents worth.....
    That's probably a good idea, the problem is today's prices on Foxbody parts. Even used, I was just browsing ebay and I think most prices are just astronomical.
    Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.

That's why the junkyards should be your best friend. As long as it isn't a Mustang specific yard the prices can't be beat.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    That's why the junkyards should be your best friend. As long as it isn't a Mustang specific yard the prices can't be beat.
    Without a doubt. But for me at least I don't have that luxury, working six days 60 hr weeks, and on top of that most JY are a good 30 miles away from me, (those with foxes anyway) and closed on Sundays.

Sorry OP if I derailed your thread in any way.
    Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.