Close

Default 5.0 replacement w/modern EcoBoost 4 cyl?

Not sure where to post this so I'll first try what I would replace, being the 5.0 V-8.

Would like to entertain modernizing an '82 GT with a new, crate 2.0T EcoBoost 4 cyl. (I'm well aware of the fact that a 2.3T, with a plate and zero balance 5.0 flywheel having a 2.3 crank bolt pattern, can be bolted up to a 5.0 bellhousing/drivetrain.) Has anyone had this thought in mind or beyond: is it even feasible with lack of parts or totally different applications?

In the end I'd like my '82 to have a brand new life with a brand new "heart" beit a tried, true 2.3T (most likely much more cheaper, feasible) or a new 2.0T EcoBoost 4 cyl (most likely MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE if even feasible.) Thank you.
    Last edited by arvak; 07-24-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: edit
    My 4 Mustangs:
    64.5 K Coupe
    66 A fb
    82 GT w/T-top
    86 SVO

You know all it takes is time and money. I agree it would make a cool swap and would like to see it done. A quick search on the web gave me this... http://themustangsource.com/2-0l-eco...ly-horse-2686/
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

There is another thread about doing this:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...light=ecoboost

From the article referenced, it sounds like the EcoBoost doesn't easily fit in the engine bay, however I want to see how he deals with it.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

I'd love to do this to a foureye and modernize the suspension, update the A/C and have a great daily driver. The newer motors run so much better and produce more HP.
    Present cars:
    1984 GT turbo t-tops

Wish list:
    1984 Predator
    Capri ASC McLaren Coupe
    1980 Cobra 4 spd
    1979 Pace Car
    (In order of Preference as well)

First, I think using one of the new Ecoboost engines in a Four Eye would be cool! Is it a cost effective conversion? Only the owner/installer can decide that. At this time, a tried and true 5.0/5 speed or a 2.3T/5 speed will most likely be less expensive, easier, and a quicker swap.

With all that said, there is something cool about being on the leading edge of doing things different or special. If that is what excites you then go for it. If you look at the Ecoboost swap as a challenge and not a headache then it's probably a great idea for you.
    I am one that actually seems to enjoy the building and restoring of the vehicle as much if not more than the actual driving. Yes, I know there's something wrong with that, but what can I say!

The best option at this time IMHO would be to purchase a complete salvage vehicle that has all the parts and pieces of the original car to help in the swap. The little parts and pieces can nickel and dime you to death on these types of swaps. It will take some ingenuity and hard work, but I am sure the results would be worth it.

Good Luck with the project and definitely post up a thread once you get going.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I think you get the motor and the control pack from a donor car and you're almost there. I'm not sure what trans you bolt up to that for the RWD application. That's my big question.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Thank you for the comebacks! Will digest the 2 findings and see what can or can't be!

What got me going on the idea was a local friend took over an unused '86 SVO parts car that I'd had sitting in my back yard for several years. He really wants to get an EcoBoost 4 cyl in it and give it to his wife as her daily use transportation. That got me thinking further about my '82 and
    really making it into an "SVO in '82 clothing" as it already has suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes and 5 stud SVO wheels from 2 totaled SVO's.
    My 4 Mustangs:
    64.5 K Coupe
    66 A fb
    82 GT w/T-top
    86 SVO

I had been thinking about the idea myself, but I was going to wait on the new 2015 SVO to come out since it would be rwd already. I think it would be really cool to take a older SVO and update it with modern technology. I wouldn't hesitate with one of the eco boost because it would still be a 4cyl.
    1985 SVO 4e
    1985 SVO 9L "Hertz"
    1985 SVO 2R T-top
    1985 SVO 2R
    1985 GT 'Vert Silver
    1985 GT Vert Light Regatta Blue
    1986 SVO 1C
    1986 GT 4E 'Vert
    1966 GT 'Vert
    2003 Mach1

The mistake they made with the original SVO was not using a V6 turbo (it could have even been a GNX killer!)

The Ecoboost V6, which should be showing up in totaled F150s, would make a cool SVO swap.

that would be a awsome swap!! those ecoboosts get up and boogie. it would take alot of research and trial and error for the wiring i imagine. with todays cars being so clean running and emissions sensitive it wouldnt take much to put it in limp mode. if you were able to go through all the wiring and figure out what is needed just for the engine alone that would be the ticket. try it out you would be one of the first i bet!!

Nearest thing I could find for the 2.0L Ecoboost for RWD would be the Falcon that they sell (not for much longer) in Austraila. It is RWD and using the 2.0L Ecoboost. Anyone know what trans is backing that thing?

If I can get the trans figured out, I think that will be the motor for my Cobra.

Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

A company called Quad for Rods builds a bell housing that adapts a T5 to the Duratec/MZR/Ecoboost engines. That is probably what Zach will be using.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Is there actually a control pack avaialble for those crate engines yet? The last I heard there was none although it was being developed. I think that was the hold up on the "project car" that had one physically installed.

While I like the ecoboost platform for it's intended use (V8 power when needed in a 6 cylinder package), look at the F-150's. The 5.0 versus Ecoboost 6 have basically the same power and what i've heard from owners, about the same gas mileage. For sure some are getting good MPG out of the Ecoboost by some reports, but around my home, it seems like a wash (been shopping for a new trcuk). On the smaller cars i see it as a performance option, small powerplant with a needed performance upside.

Not saying dont have at it, I just would be looking at a Coyote swap (either Ford crate engine or F-150 salvage) if I wanted a modern engine in an early car for myself (and i'm as much of a 2.3 guy as anyone.) 400 dead reliable HP, pulls okay milage, and can be upgraded to 500+ HP with a supercharger if that ever moves you.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

FRPP is now working on a controls pack for the engine. It would have cost around $6k-$8k for an aftermarket ECU that can handle the DI, variable valve timing and turbo functions. This doesn't even begin to include the 100+ hours of dyno time to get it mapped.

A number of people have mentioned that for the same money a Coyote engine could be swapped in. However, the 2.0l Ecoboost is going to end up having about 200lbs less weight on the front tires. In terms of track performance the car will end up having almost the same lap times due to the increase in front tire grip. One of the goals of the car was to make it handle very well. Sort of like a modern SVO among the 5.0l Mustang of the day.
    Jack Hidley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    A company called Quad for Rods builds a bell housing that adapts a T5 to the Duratec/MZR/Ecoboost engines. That is probably what Zach will be using.
    You mean this? http://quad4rods.com/index.php?page=...&Itemid=100041

ha! Then that would make sense why it bolts up to a GM T-5!! Just trying to find the bellhousing that was mentioned earlier.Didn't say anything that said Ecoboost.

Then I guess we just have to wait for the control pack then!

Reviving an old thread.
    I am swapping a 3.5 Ecoboost into a 64 Falcon, 3.5 EB from a 16 F150 with 11,000 miles, Ford Performance parts engine harness and ECU, Quick Time bellhousing and TKO500 trans, TCI front and rear suspension and coil overs and rack and pinion.
    Last edited by Boosted Falcon; 05-26-2017 at 08:56 PM.

The controls pack for the 2.3l EB is now available.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6017-23T
    Jack Hidley

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted Falcon View Post
    Reviving an old thread.
    I am swapping a 3.5 Ecoboost into a 64 Falcon, 2016 3.5 from a 16 F150 with 11,000 miles, Ford Performance parts engine harness and ECU, Quick Time bellhousing and TKO500 trans, TCI front and rear suspension and coil overs and rack and pinion.
    Wow, sounds sweet!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual