Close

Default Convertible Rear Seat Belts retract too far!

In my '85 LX Convertible, the rear seat belts retract back too far when let go. I have to take the seat bottom out in order to get them out again! Is there supposed to be a sleeve that stops them from leaving the area?

I've got that same issue in my 84 GT vert. I just keep the 2 seat belts buckled together so that they don't retract. I never have anyone sitting back there anyway.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

The back seat belts in my 85 GT vert are a little hard to get to but not that bad. The top of the silver male buckle stays about to the top...maybe a little lower...of the back seat. If it is going down further between the seat and the quarter panel then the plastic stop on top of the retractor must be broken and/or missing.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Default What normally stops the metal part from retracting too far?

Yeah, but I've got kids and we use it 2-5 times per week. I've got them trained pretty much to "Buckle Up" before they get out, but it's a hassle, and if someone who isn't trained sits back there, it becomes a problem!

Once, it took half an hour to get the seat belt out, and I had to take the seat bottom out to get to it!

I tried putting a zip tie on it, but it still can go "down under."

National Parts Depot has something in their catalog that looks like what you're looking for. They list it as a Rear Seat Belt Shield Retainer Part Number 611B46. 5 bucks a piece. Hope that helps.