Close

Default Quarter Window Trim Removal and Installation

I am painting my car very soon, So I have started the process of trim removal and sanding. I took off the passenger side quarter window trim and it seemed like it is something that isn't necessarily meant to come off. Opinions?
    '85 1E GT ~ Terminator swap in progress

Neither here nor there

I can't find a picture of my trim, but as you saw the trim itself has little wire hooks, you need to grab those and slide them toward each opening, I use a small hook tool to get behind the trim and up against the glass to grab them and slide them.

You can stick your head inside the car to see what you are doing on the outside if needed.

FEP Senior Member

I used a thin blade putty knife. I slid it behind the trim and caught the edge of the clip. Then I slid the clip up and it released. It was marred up in window sealer and there was quite a bit of resistance at first. Once it started moving it went pretty easy. Once you get a couple clips released you will get the hang of it.
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

They were installed from the factory BEFORE the glass was installed. You may have to remove the glass to reinstall them correctly.

When I put in the 87+ qtrs. I found the dumb dumb tape for the windows at NAPA. Went in like factory. I don't recall the exact name on the box but when I said the name they knew what it was...
    85 GT built 347, Steeda t5, 3.55s, full susp, real Saleen body kit, Saleen rims...for go but need paint to show!
    99 TA ram air Daytona Pace car, 6spd 520rhp/497tq, full featured car Pont High Perf. 10.89@128 and 172mph in the mile run.
    00 TA boltons auto, the driver.
    01 TA ram air 6spd vert, just boltons, the cruiser.

Neither here nor there

Probably 3M Strip Caulk or butyl window tape

Chris Wood

Quote Originally Posted by LilRed86coupe View Post
    They were installed from the factory BEFORE the glass was installed. You may have to remove the glass to reinstall them correctly.
    ^^What he said, and like mentioned use the butyl tape available at most auto body supply houses.

I just did the same thing on my Notch! PITA as I tried while glass was in, just could not get it done without messing up paint. After reading the thread and learning, I used a putty knife or small spatula....pushed it in between glas and portion of car, then loosened/removed the screws. I then pushed glass gently towards inside of car. It folde down perfectly with lower portion of glass held in by the tar? Used tape to hold up level just in case it fell out.

I then put the trim up against the window frame slide the clips up/in with EASE! Then cleaned up tar and added more/new, screwed in screws and clips that hold it in and done.

Was intimidated to do it at first, but was the right decision.....thanks to you all!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    I can't find a picture of my trim, but as you saw the trim itself has little wire hooks, you need to grab those and slide them toward each opening, I use a small hook tool to get behind the trim and up against the glass to grab them and slide them.
    This is the approach I used and it worked for me. Thank you everyone for all the help.
    '85 1E GT ~ Terminator swap in progress

Holy crap.. this just changed my entire way of thinking! Thank you!