Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Mach 1 springs in a Notch?

My 84 5.0 notch has a set of unknown front lowering springs. The rear has a pair of vintage 80's Saleen springs. The car doesn't sit level and is a bit lower on the driver side. About 1/2 inch lower with me not in the car. The suspension bushings are poly in the front lower control arms, and the rears are MM lowers with new cop-spec uppers. The suspension has been allowed to settle and was tightened up with the car loaded on the ground. Shocks/Struts are worn unknown mileage Koni reds set to full soft. Onion heads are being used instead of CC plates due to cost. Bumpsteer at speed is a problem I'd also like to resolve by going to a stock type spring.

Anybody ever used factory Mach 1 springs in a light notch? I'm guessing the ride height will be similar to stock. Anybody have an opinion they'd be willing to share?
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

someone would probably give you some stock springs from a 87-93 5.0, I can't say for sure but I would guess the mach 1 springs would make it sit too high without some trimming
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

In my experience using SN95 OEM springs in a Fox usually means the Fox sits a bit higher than the SN95 vehicle did. This is not an absolute as every used set of springs can be different due to age, mileage, etc. The SN95 cars are heavier than Foxes, especially the early 4E cars. The Mach 1 springs do make a SN95 sit a bit lower than stock, so the ride height for a Fox might be fine. If you can get a set cheap, then I say give it a try and see if you like it. Otherwise, I would recommend going with a set of H&R Sport springs for your car. That should give you a slight drop in ride height, but good ride and handling. They aren't cheap at @$225 a set, but they don't break the bank either.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

I have the Mach springs on the shelf, so its a no cost deal. They were pulled out at 8k, so the condition should be pretty good.

I'm trying to avoid buying a new set of springs since doing a spring replacement should include a set of CC plates. This car is a stock type daily driver, so aside from looks, the ride height isn't really a big deal for me. Heck, it would be refreshing to drive a fox without bone jarring suspension for a change!
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

If you have the springs then I would say go for it. You can always swap them back out if you don't like them. You can also cut the springs if the ride height is too high. Cutting them will increase the effective spring rate, but most of the time a 1/2-1 full coil is all that is needed and doesn't stiffen them up too much. Just keep in mind that it's always best to match your strut/shock package to your spring rates for best ride and handling. The Koni reds being adjustable will probably work, but again due to age/mileage it's hard to say for certain.

Give it a try and post up your results!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller