Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    On the list:

- Front pads and rotors. I knew these needed to be done.
    - Rear pads. Turn the rotors if needed
    Early last week, I pulled the front apart to get started on the work.

It was so tempting to jump in and start cleaning and detailing every little thing but I know I cannot spend the time this go around. This is a get in and get done endeavour! Well, maybe a little cleaning...

Everything came apart as expected. I did notice I am missing the anti-rattle bracket for the front passenger side and have a broken back one!

- Front pads. I knew these needed to be done.
    I knew I was not getting the best results out of these and knew the rotors were not true. These were like this when I got it. They look to be the original front rotors. Wow are they wavy!

The back rotors look good but I will take them in for a resurface to be sure.

FEP Supporter

Default Brake debacle!

Well, Mr. Smarty that I am buying things months if not years in advance have an issue with the front pads I bought from RockAuto last year.

Here I though I would get everything back together in short order

I expected that RockAuto would have been accurate and thought I had done my homework These Motorcraft BR7B seem to be for 83-93 Mustangs and all engines now that I dig deeper. Just not the SVO...The back were correct.

I searched again and still had a hard time getting accurate info online. I decided to search up the part number in my parts book and found the page.

Front F0ZZ-2001-A and rear F0LY-2200-A

The bonus is that I found some on eBay for a reasonable price! Now I wait for them...

In the meantime, I went as far as I could. The bearings all seemed good once cleaned up. I repacked them and put the hubs back together.

I noticed looking closer that all of the original Koni's are still on the car although the front passenger strut may have a small leak. I will have to keep an eye on it.

Oh, and I oddly found what looks to be a part of the original front spring label that somehow survived wedged in the splash shield.

Duplicolor chevy orange is a good match for Koni orange...just saying.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

FEP Supporter

Default List picking.

As usual, I have been gathering needed parts over time to eventually get to one day.

On the list:

- Oil and filter change
    - Oil pressure sender. The gauge reads quite high most of the time.
    While awaiting the pads to arrive, last weekend I hit a some things on the list

The usual oil change. I have not driven the car too far since I have owned it but hadn't changed the oil in a couple of seasons.

In with the new!

While I was underneath I thought I would scrape and wipe a bit. It looks like at least the oil pan drain plug was leaking for a bit and spraying back underneath.

Photo op. Better than it was and maybe I can see where I do have leaks

Since I had the car, I had noted that the oil pressure gauge was not reading correctly. Not believable to be that high and nothing actually be noticeably wrong with the car

This is what I would typically see.

Replacement sender. Different finish Same patent markings. I think I will search for at least a gold cad coated one.

I decided to put on a mechanical gauge to confirm pressures prior to installing the sender.

Cold idle.

Operating temperature idle.

I removed the gauge and installed the sender. Now it's just right

Last edited by 82GTforME; 06-15-2018 at 10:50 PM.

FEP Supporter

Default Coolant sender.

As usual, I have been gathering needed parts over time to eventually get to one day.

On the list:

- Coolant temp sensor. Coolant gauge temperature seems inaccurate to the actual temp and fan on point.
    It's funny. I had to look around to find the sensor. As stated, I had questioned the fan operation and temperature switch in relation to the gauge reading. A couple of summers ago, I had got into slow freeway traffic on a warm afternoon and noted the gauge creeping up and making me nervous. I had tried to check the fan operation and only knew that it at least would come on. I just wasn't happy with what the gauge said when it did.

Amazing how many different ones of these things there are to buy on the market. Different colours, temps etc. I found the right one at least

I had noted last year after storage that I had a small coolant leak but I could not find it. While underneath and doing the cleaning I did I noted a drip on the started and found the turbo coolant return hose was the culprit!

What a tough place to reach too! Good thing I can get in there other wise the starter and maybe more would have to come off!

I drained the coolant and pulled the sensor. Filled it and fired it back up again to test.

I let it run until the fan came on. Temps were reasonable with the infrared gun and the gauge read this when it kicked in. Before I had seen it creep to the line at least. Another small task done

FEP Supporter

On the list:

- Front pads and rotors. I knew these needed to be done.
    - Rear pads. Turn the rotors if needed
    Speaking of rotors... I took the ones off the car in and they machined them all. The rears were well within spec.

I installed the replacement front rotors I bought thinking (knowing) they were bad but they were okay to machine per spec. So I have a spare set... should I Evapo-Rust them for future?

So I got the pads a bit ago and installed them with little fanfare.

The front; no issues other than bending the pad tangs to go into the pistons:

The rear pistons were a little tough to get turning with the cheap tool. The passenger side was a real *itch. The holes were stretched previously making the tool useless

Bonus is the NOS pad set came with a replacement anti-rattle bracket to replace the broken one I had.

I ended up using my 14" offset pipe wrench to catch the outer edge and turn the piston in. No damage to the boot but what a pain. It would not retract any more and was still seemingly real tight putting it back onto the rotor.

FEP Supporter

Default Give me a brake.

During the installation of the pads, I decided to change the fluid out. Gravity drained most of it and used the vacuum pump after. Lastly used another person to press the pedal to ensure all of the air was out.

Back passenger had a little amount of solids come out initially but nothing too alarming.

I have driven the car a handful of times since the pad change.

First trip out after bedding the pads and rotors, I went for around 10-15 miles around the neighbourhoods to check the feel out. I ended up with really hot rotors and wheels especially the front drivers was HOT. Wheel hot to the touch hot. Not good. I let it cool, took it apart and found nothing wrong. Tried it again and it is fine. The piston must have stuck for a bit. Whew.

The last few times out though the back passenger side rotor and wheel are warming up. Not as bad as the front was the first day but I was still concerned. I took it all apart and again, everything looks okay. Still slight warming - above normal at least when comparing to the other wheels. It just feels like there is a little more resistance and dragging than there should be. The car rolls but not as easy as one would think. The e-brake is all the way backed off too.

Not sure if there is anything I can really do. Do you think they will wear in and this is just a break in period? I will take it apart one more time in order to clean and grease to ensure the pads are moving freely and not jamming and maintaining contact with the rotor.

If it was all easy, this would be no fun right?

FEP Supporter

It looks like at least the oil pan drain plug was leaking for a bit and spraying back underneath.

Photo op. Better than it was and maybe I can see where I do have leaks
    Well, the coolant leak is fixed as well as the oil pan plug is good. With it being cleaner plus in my garage to look for any leaks sooner after running it, I have found the last culprit.

Looks like it may be the rear seal. Not a deal breaker right now and not something I am inclined to fix in the short term. The car runs strong and I can live with this for now

FEP Supporter

Default The finish of 2018

This summer went by really fast this year! With the late end to winter and it being wet and cool for pretty much the last two weeks, it seemed a blink!

After doing the brakes, I find they work great! I still feel more resistance to rolling than I think there should be plus I have an intermittent clicking and squeaking from the front passenger wheel. With other things going on I haven't had the time to look into it too deeply again. It will remain on the to-do list for next year.

With the brake noise noted above and Tangerine coupe on the road too, driving seemed limited.

Some highlights and photo ops.

FEP Supporter

A couple more doing car and storage shuffling! So thankful for my current situation!

Come on 2019!

FEP Supporter

All are looking good!!!
    '85 GT

Oh, and I oddly found what looks to be a part of the original front spring label that somehow survived wedged in the splash shield.

I know I am a little behind on your progress, but that would be the oem decal for the outer tie rod. Nice find if you have enough of it to put back on.

Keep up the good work!
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

FEP Supporter

Default 2019 Where did you go so fast?

Here we are nearing the end of 2019.

Little to report on the SVO this year. There isn't much for me to do really. The things I want to do are a little more of a time commitment than I was willing to put in this year - valve seals, heater core and some rock chip repair.

I had the car out at least a handful of times. I was away all of July with work so that may have put a damper on that.

Regardless, the car still runs well with close to 155,000 km on it. I try not to push on it too hard thinking it's one hard pull from breaking something but this car always impresses me and doesn't let me down.

A few images for the year:

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...jjorc.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...zygpu.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...iuxni.jpg.html

And then that sad day when I had call it the end of the season.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...budqs.jpg.html

Until next year.

FEP Supporter

Cool Summer 2020

Here we are at Labour Day Weekend already!

I've had the car running since late May. Over the summer I haven't gotten as many trips out as I'd wished. We all wish for more seat time don't we?

First day out:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_5751.JPG

One day after an evening cruise with the windows down, I got back to park and my passenger window would not go up Never had any real issues with the windows before although they were a little slowish. Thanks to Western Motorsports here for having a pair of repro motors and for having them cheaper than buying online and shipping from the US!

The day I brought the car home to my garage to swap the motors out, the darned thing worked again! I still swapped them and kept the old ones for "spares".

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6002.JPG

While she was home, I did a quick go over and detail as best I could.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6011.JPG

The drives I take make the car thirsty and she earns her keep. Just under 20 miles to the gallon. If I drove with a lighter foot or out of premium mode you'd easily get low to mid 20's I'd say.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6008.JPG

I haven't had the car out for a few weeks now This was the last trip around town on a nice mid-August evening. She's a sharp looking ride and I try not to abuse her too much. I need to be able to enjoy her like she is for a few more seasons yet. Hopefully this isn't the end of the season yet!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6202.JPG

FEP Power Member

Usually, it’s just broken crush pins in the window motor gear box. If you buy them In bulk they are $1.00 each. Three are needed.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Here we are at Labour Day Weekend already!

I've had the car running since late May. Over the summer I haven't gotten as many trips out as I'd wished. We all wish for more seat time don't we?

First day out:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_5751.JPG

One day after an evening cruise with the windows down, I got back to park and my passenger window would not go up Never had any real issues with the windows before although they were a little slowish. Thanks to Western Motorsports here for having a pair of repro motors and for having them cheaper than buying online and shipping from the US!

The day I brought the car home to my garage to swap the motors out, the darned thing worked again! I still swapped them and kept the old ones for "spares".

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6002.JPG

While she was home, I did a quick go over and detail as best I could.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6011.JPG

The drives I take make the car thirsty and she earns her keep. Just under 20 miles to the gallon. If I drove with a lighter foot or out of premium mode you'd easily get low to mid 20's I'd say.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6008.JPG

I haven't had the car out for a few weeks now This was the last trip around town on a nice mid-August evening. She's a sharp looking ride and I try not to abuse her too much. I need to be able to enjoy her like she is for a few more seasons yet. Hopefully this isn't the end of the season yet!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6202.JPG
    Good job on the SVO, Love seeing the work.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Usually, it’s just broken crush pins in the window motor gear box. If you buy them In bulk they are $1.00 each. Three are needed.
    Thanks Kevin, I've never had to swap one out before. The crush pins are good to know about in case I have issues in the future. With the old one working now, who knows what caused it not to go up that day. I had tried both switches, lightly bumping the door panel etc. and no go that day. Just driving it the couple miles to my house that next week shook it up right.

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    Good job on the SVO, Love seeing the work.
    Thanks Bryan. Not seeing much of your Cobra these days but with a busy life with a little one, I know the drill

I know this is a little old, but here is a link for a "gold" oil pressure sending unit through NPD. https://www.npdlink.com/product/send...%3D0%26year%3D

Your other part numbers for sending units have been very helpful.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Unclesams_SVO View Post
    I know this is a little old, but here is a link for a "gold" oil pressure sending unit through NPD. https://www.npdlink.com/product/send...%3D0%26year%3D

Your other part numbers for sending units have been very helpful.
    Good to know they are available even though the one I bought is Motorcraft. If I need another I know where to go. Odd ting is I think the thing is starting to read high again. I will keep an eye on it this year. At least after confirming it to the mechanical gauge I know I am in the recommended range regardless of the dash gauge.

FEP Supporter

Default 2021 Updates

So here is another thread I have not updated for awhile.

I lost my sweet storage a mile away last summer in August so the car is in my garage right now.

This 86 SVO is a fun and nice car to drive. While I know I may be pushing my luck knowing a 155k km car runs good every year even with my "driving it", it continues to keep up with my needs!

Early year oil change.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8402.JPG

My Alternator light came on in the spring.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8407.JPG

Local FEP member Ed BMWRider had a replacement that was a direct bolt in! AMP light off!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8432.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8429.JPG

Random late summer.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8618.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8615.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8611.JPG

It was a nice early October. With the car in my own garage it was a little convenient to go for a ride!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8751.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8747.JPG

FEP Supporter

Default 2021 Continues

The fun continued into mid-October in 2021:

Of course the gratuitous October gas pump photo:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8777.JPG

We had rain in the city the day before this in mid-October but went for a drive to the west. The roads were fairly dry but I went as far west as I dared and started to hit some shady frozen sections and where there was much more snow.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8798.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8796.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8789.JPG

Last major trip out went a little further out but did SE of the city this time on a nice fall mid-October cruise. Did 150 km trip and pushed the car. I love the feel of the turbo kicking in to pass a snail on the highway.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8849.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8844.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8841.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_8837.JPG

FEP Supporter

Default 2022 SVO fun

I really do like this car. It does need a few things done but that will happen once it can get my full attention in the future! In the meantime, I continue to enjoy it when I can. It is reliable, runs as it should and puts a smile on my face!

Being busy in life had me not get the chance to get the car out until late June in 2022.

A quick wipe down and polish and away we went!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_9512.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_9513.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_9642.JPG

I did the same neighborhood Canada car parade I did last year with the Tangerine Machine. Always some cool cars to see.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_9526.JPG

Random outing running errands...

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_9650.JPG

FEP Supporter

Default 2022 Continues...

When you can't take the time to get out and do a nice cruise you can still get out randomly

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_9651.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_0201.JPG

Even took to work one Saturday

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_0205.JPG

FEP Supporter

Default 2022 Ends.

Fall seemed to come really quick with less than three months on the road. 2021 with the beautiful fall we had I managed to drive until the beginning of November. Last year I made it to the first week of October.

In September I went for a nice fall drive into the country to stretch the car's legs and find some nice scenery.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_0211.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_0217.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_0222.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_0219.JPG

FEP Supporter

Looking good! Nice pix!
    '85 GT

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456