Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    I look at all those other cars (at the gathering you attended) and yours is far and away the one I would want. You really have a beautiful svo...congrats!
    Thanks Mike. I wish I had a little more time to do a few of the things I would like to on this car. Mostly minor, but still need effort.

This car will get it's turn

FEP Supporter

Default More documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    It came with all of the original manuals, a copy of the dealer invoice, the warranty card, the Koni adjuster , even a bunch of SVO club stuff (Canada and US) with numerous copies of The Turbo Times etc.
    I spoke about it and showed some of the stuff but not all. Here is a bunch of SVO related club stuff, correspondance and a few copies of magazine articles from one PO who was a member.

Quote Originally Posted by 86-TC/SVO View Post
    Looks good!!! I found it listed in the 1997 SVOOA Registry under Allan Taylor in Aberta.
    Yes, I have some correspondence between him and the SVOOA regarding membership, shows etc. There is also an old hand written judging form for this car in his name and a picture of him beside the car LOL! Provenance!!
    Here is the photo with of the car and PO in a Mustang Club of America show (I'm assuming Allan Taylor in the picture in 1991 or 1992). Note the black and red hoods of two other SVO's beside it.

This I hadn't noticed before; the car was bought in July 1990 for $12500 Canadian and already had 96k km on it. That's 60k miles of the 90k miles (151k km) that are currently on the odometer. So only 30k miles in the last 24 years

FEP Supporter

With the battery out, I was surprised to see some corrosion on the positive battery terminal:

So I've had the car out a couple of times overthe last month or more now. Seeing the above picture had me think of the day I put the battery in the car at the garage I store it in. The only difference is that something had found a nice dry place to store some food for later!

I took a good look through a few things before I fired it up to ensure they never got more creative in their location!

Jackson and I got to take a cruise a few weeks ago together. We had a fun evening! Displacement vs. forced induction

FEP Supporter

Default Improvements begin!

I've had a list of things I've wanted to do to this car since I bought it yet have not spent any time on it since the initial stuff right after I got it. I've totally taken advantage of the reliability and driveability of the car since then!

On the top of my list was to repaint the trim. Based on the oxidation I removed in my initial polish of the (actually) decent base/clear and the headlights, you knew the car had sat outside for a period. When the car was painted, it does not look like the trim had been redone at all. That or it was in decent shape when it was repainted and the sitting was afterwards.

Regardless, the factory grey trim was faded quite a bit and there was bare urethane and minor deterioration just starting. As I've said before, I love driving this car an it deserves some of my time

I also had this to upper bi-wing to install. I can't believe I bought it two and a half years ago. Mine has some just-noticeable sagging and movement when driving plus there was a crack near the mount on one side.

I got something delivered yesterday. I wonder what it could be?

Looks like another project for next year!
    I took the Tangerine Machine over to my rented storage garage nearby and brought the SVO in about three weeks ago! Time for some updates!

The mounting for the replacement was broken and the stud missing when I opened it. I had no idea when I bought it, but what can you do
    I transplanted the stud out of mine. With the magic of JB weld and the texture of the existing material that is in the void made this a very robust fix and quite simple to do

It looks like the original wing was repaired looking at what came out of the other spoiler. The bosses were broken on both!

A little bit of trial and error as the placement was out very slightly but it worked out good. Note the extra screw hole on the bottom of the upper. It looks like it's factory to me but from what I have learned there should be a tab with a hole in it that goes under the lower spoiler and it's top screw goes through them both. C'est la vie! I decided I needed to use the holes. The reason the old upper never held too fast was that it's tab was broken also and the bottom was never fastened and I never even knew it!

Sanded and ready for some primer There look to have been a few different colors over it's life! Now onto the rest!

Last edited by 82GTforME; 07-25-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Couple very nice cars there!
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

FEP Supporter

So after just completing a full project and knowing what (I think) the scope of this project is I start removing items:

Rear spoiler, front and back window trim, mirrors, dew wipes, cowl etc. I was thinking originally ( ) that the window trim would be a quick spray from the outside. What I hadn't really given much thought to was how it was actually painted from the factory.

It wraps all the way around the inside of the door jamb and the window frames. To expose it all you need to remove door panels, window seals and loosen the rear quarter panel to remove most of the door seals I can see how these small "projects" get out of hand!

Good thing I have a lot of recent experience with this, so it did go that much quicker

I think this is most of it...

You can see how faded things looked in the sunlight. You could see the black plastic of the upper in a couple places and there wasn't much left on the cowl either.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Fearnot View Post
    Couple very nice cars there!
    Thanks Rich! Pride of ownership and lots of TLC! That I can afford!

FEP Supporter

Default Prep and Painting.

As I had said, there was little paint left in places. On the body side of the quarter window molding beside the sail panel as well as the top of the driver's door frame there was a little surface rust due to how it was worn off. I removed the rust and sanded down all of the body portions. I then used some Eastwood rust encapsulator over all of these areas prior to top coating.

I had one moulding on the front that I had to replace due to a rock dent but overall the window trim was in good repaintable shape. I removed the dew wipes from the moulding to properly prep and paint them.

I did some research on the proper grey that the SVO's used and there was a recommendation that Late Model Resto has a pre-mixed aerosol available. LMR cannot ship this product to Canada though so I went through the only supplier around here that deals with them and got three cans brought in (two years ago!).

After prepping the trim I thought I would give the back sides a little paint. I soon realized that I would not have enough I knew it would take a while to get more in so I decided to get the SEM recommendation which was the alternative to the LMR product. A quick comparison and of course they dont match well enough to use side by side. Good thing I never proceded with final coating anything.

I ended up having to wait a couple of days to get to the body shop supply store during the week but was successful.

Here are the two products. I went with the SEM (which I ended up thinking was a better match anyways):

In the meantime I repainted the antenna and wiper arms black as they are supposed to be.

This is what the rear bumper cover looked like. Getting pretty worn!

Plus the final prepping on the car:

Last edited by 82GTforME; 07-26-2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added image

Great looking car. The SVO looks amazing. Which reminds me, I need to paint all my trim too.
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

Now that you will be well experienced with all the SVO trim, wings, etc. you can come down to CO and repaint all my SVO parts once I get done with my GT!

Looks like you are making great progress! One thing I would keep an eye on is the stud repair on the upper wing. I had to do A LOT of those many years ago when I had my shop and we were repainting/restoring all of Motion Dynamics' customer cars. I never had a lot of luck with most of the adhesives sticking well to the upper wing and I tried a ton! Today's urethanes, epoxies, and adhesives are much better although I personally never had much luck with JB Weld. Yours make work just fine and I hope it does, but many times we would glue up the studs, mount them on the car and a couple weeks later they would be back because the studs had come loose again. So just keep an eye on it after you get some miles on it. Hopefully your luck is better than mine was!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Where did you buy the new bi wing?

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Mavereq View Post
    Where did you buy the new bi wing?
    I got this used one through a member on the site here a couple of years ago when it was offered for sale and I knew I would be needing one. They are for sale as a reproduction though:

http://www.npdlink.com/store/index.p...69062&parent=0
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Looks like your making great progress!
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMamba View Post
    Great looking car. The SVO looks amazing. Which reminds me, I need to paint all my trim too.
    Thanks Mamba! I know I procrastinated long enough on the trim!

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Now that you will be well experienced with all the SVO trim, wings, etc. you can come down to CO and repaint all my SVO parts once I get done with my GT!

Looks like you are making great progress! One thing I would keep an eye on is the stud repair on the upper wing. I had to do A LOT of those many years ago when I had my shop and we were repainting/restoring all of Motion Dynamics' customer cars. I never had a lot of luck with most of the adhesives sticking well to the upper wing and I tried a ton! Today's urethanes, epoxies, and adhesives are much better although I personally never had much luck with JB Weld. Yours make work just fine and I hope it does, but many times we would glue up the studs, mount them on the car and a couple weeks later they would be back because the studs had come loose again. So just keep an eye on it after you get some miles on it. Hopefully your luck is better than mine was!
    I'm a little behind on my updates and much further along on my progress than shown so far!. Things definitely came together decently for me on this even with two weeks of rain every day and high humidity!

For the repair on the stud, I had no other real options to try. For the "tweaking" I needed, I had to slightly bend one stud outward to line up with the hole in the hatch due to being slightly misplaced when glued. I braced the bottom of the stud and bent it and never felt any give in the adhesive so I think I am currently good. Hopefully I can say that in a number of years

For the screws though a couple of the holes are too big for the screws to bite good by themselves.

I had one of these nuts still on the car (similar to the picture) and I think I need to get some more to retain the remaining screws before they vibrate or pull free. I just can't figure out where to find them

I may get the fastener kit from NPD but it does not come with any "nut" either. I would feel better knowing they were secure from the underside!

https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...6341-6287.html

For the screws though a couple of the holes are too big for the screws to bite good by themselves.

I had one of these nuts still on the car (similar to the picture) and I think I need to get some more to retain the remaining screws before they vibrate or pull free. I just can't figure out where to find them

I may get the fastener kit from NPD but it does not come with any "nut" either. I would feel better knowing they were secure from the underside!

https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...6341-6287.html
    As you have figured out, the upper wing is secured by the two screws and the long stud on each side. One option for "oversized" screw holes is to; 1) larger diameter screws, or 2) nut inserts. I do not understand how you can use that nut shown for the screws. The long stud uses a flange nut (like what is used to retain the rear lights) and then capped with an acorn nut (to prevent snags or scratches if bumped).
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    As you have figured out, the upper wing is secured by the two screws and the long stud on each side. One option for "oversized" screw holes is to; 1) larger diameter screws, or 2) nut inserts. I do not understand how you can use that nut shown for the screws. The long stud uses a flange nut (like what is used to retain the rear lights) and then capped with an acorn nut (to prevent snags or scratches if bumped).
    I do have the flange nuts and the acorn nuts for the studs. IIRC I had two of those other "nuts" but lost one. I used the one I still had on the underside of one screw where it secures to the hatch (but was "oversized" and loose) and it actually snugged onto the screw quite well.

I definitely need to look into it a bit deeper and find the best option to ensure that I am not at risk of losing my wing while driving around! The key is to ensure the installation still looks "stock".

So the screws literally only screwed into the sheet metal of the hatch? Seems a little hokey to say the least!

So the screws literally only screwed into the sheet metal of the hatch? Seems a little hokey to say the least!
    Yep, they only screw into the top layer of sheet metal and DO NOT pass all the way thru to the underside sheet metal. In other words, they are self tapping Phillips head screws. That is why I mentioned the two options before, since they do not extend all the way through, you can not put a "nut" on them.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

When I get around to my SVO the small screws for the wing will be replaced with machine screws and nutserts in the hatch to make sure the wing is secure and doesn't become loose over time.

As for the larger studs, the issues we saw was the amount of vibration it endures when driving at highway speeds that seemed to cause most of our adhesives to break or come loose. As I said, I hope your luck is better, but definitely keep an eye on it.

Not sure how you are going to use the self threading nuts above, but FYI they are often called Pal Nuts. Sometimes you can find them at the big box hardware stores, otherwise some type of fastener shop should be able to get you what you need/want.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Supporter

Okay, I see now both of you and I aren't really on the same wavelength. Maybe?

I'll back up a bit. I vaguely recall the previous owner mentioning something about swapping/reinstalling wings as he had another (worse condition IMO) SVO. The upper wing on this car when I bought it had one screw at the top and the stud holding it on. It didn't line up too good to the lower as there was no screw/tab etc. The lower has a screw at the top.

The "new" wing I got had two screw holes plus the stud as you could see in the picture before.

I don't think what I have is quite what you are describing. I have two holes on each side of the underside on the hatch. These are exposing the end of the screw. After hearing you explain, I assume these are not supposed to be there.

That is where the "Pal Nuts" were. They (I assume there were four at one time but there were two on when I got the car) were fastened to the under side of the screw. This is what I was trying to explain. Maybe this isn't a solution. Silly me for thinking this was factory done. There were even small body grommets in them (hence the bit of rust there). Of course I have added the second screw to the bottom of the upper wing but there is no hole for it.

FEP Supporter

Default And now back to the trim painting!

The trim, lower spoiler and loose parts I was good with just sanding and painting with the SEM paint.

The newer upper and the bumper strips needed some help I figured. It took a little more prepping to even get them looking good enough spray onto. I decided I would mix up and spray some 2K primer I had from my previous project This way I would maybe avoid any adhesion or deterioration issues in the furture! A little more prep and seal and we were done with that!

After that was getting to some spraying. Tough getting a good finish with the rattle can. Tough when we were in the middle of two weeks of at least some rain every day (and I painted it outside in between! The SEM to me seems a little runny and you need to be careful not to put down too much. Lucky to be painting mainly skinny, one pass items. The lower spoiler took a couple of extra coats due to some striping I got when I tried to rush when I ran out of paint and had to get more the following day!

In the future, if I ever had to do this again, I would get paint color matched, mixed and then spray with the gun. SEVEN (7) cans of that stuff! Plus they are a more $ than the SEM trim black can and smaller cans to boot! Seven was just enough actually (okay some part did get a few extra coats)!

Last edited by 82GTforME; 07-27-2016 at 12:11 AM.

Looks great!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I have two holes on each side of the underside on the hatch. These are exposing the end of the screw. After hearing you explain, I assume these are not supposed to be there.

That is where the "Pal Nuts" were. They (I assume there were four at one time but there were two on when I got the car) were fastened to the under side of the screw. This is what I was trying to explain. Maybe this isn't a solution. Silly me for thinking this was factory done. There were even small body grommets in them (hence the bit of rust there). Of course I have added the second screw to the bottom of the upper wing but there is no hole for it.
    Nope, not the way they came from the factory. Obviously a previous owner "improvised" with a loose wing condition and unfortunately installed replacement screws all the way through to the underside.

Assuming no rust, all of that can be corrected by welding up the holes and drilling in new ones on just the top side. The hardest holes to get lined up are the ones for the long stud and you appear to be good on those. Then a little body prep, prime, and top coat the repairs.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

The trim work looks like it turned out great! Looking forward to seeing some finished pics with the masking removed.

I know it was a lot of work, but the results are worth it!
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    The trim work looks like it turned out great! Looking forward to seeing some finished pics with the masking removed.

I know it was a lot of work, but the results are worth it!
    Definitely a lot of work by the time it was all said and done! I am glad that I took the time to do it right and do all of it (I have not done the rocker moulding nor the bottom of the rear spat at this time...yet).

Here are some pictures of the finished products reinstalled on the car. I have some outdoor pictures but need to upload them in order to show them. Stay tuned for more!

Here is an example of the before and after differences between old and redone. This is a mirror housing I used the mirror out of as a replacement for a non-functioning remote but is close to the look of the trim on this car before repainting.

This is the trim that was on the car and you can see the amount of fading!

Last edited by 82GTforME; 07-31-2016 at 10:21 AM.

FEP Supporter

Default Some new outdoor pictures.

Here are a couple of pictures after the trim was painted. It seems I have a tendency to take a majority of my pictures from the same side or angle.

I like this one the best:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast