Close

Default ASC McLaren ground effects on a '79 Mustang?

I absolutely love the look of the ASC Mclarens but unfortunately Capris are hard to come by my main question is if the rear bumper on a bubble-back capri is too different for the rear valance to go on? I'm wanting to use a xenon front valance with ASC side-skirts and rear valance. How do the side pieces attach? Could the ASC's front valance be used if the same xenon valance fits a capri and mustangs?

Honestly I am a little confused by your post, but I will try and answer what I can.

The bubble back rear bumpers are essentially the same as the 79-84 Mustang and 79-82 Capri rear bumpers from the molding down. The upper section for the bubble is what is different. So if the parts in question will fit any of the vehicle listed, then it will also fit the bubble back rear bumper cover. In fact the rear bumper covers for the 85/86 cars are essentially the same below the moldings as the 79-84 bumper covers too.

I am not too familiar with the ASC parts, but most side skirts use double sided tape along the doors, below the moldings if they go up that high, and then screws inside the wheel wells to attach them to the car.

As for front valances, the 79-82 Mustangs and the 79-86 Capris are the same below the molding. The 83-86 Mustangs use a more curved front bumper than the 79-82 Mustang and 79-86 Capris. The early cars are essentially flat across the hood/grill area and then angle off to the sides below the headlights. So you will need a lower valance that fits a 79-82 Mustang to fit any of the Capris.

Hope that helps and answered most of your questions.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you, very much Trey. You answered every single one of my questions!

Glad I could help. I was a bit confused as to what you are doing or thinking about doing, but then again I have the same issue with my 2 teenage daughters!

Best of Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Qturk94,
    The ASC side skirts are held on by 3m tape from the door opening to the wheel well opening and a sheet metal screw on each end into the rocker panel. In the door opening there are a series of screws that go into the top of the rocker panel that goes up to the door sill. The rear valance is held on by self tapping sheet metal screws across the back side of the bumper, and small sheet metal screws that holds the sides of the rear valance to the car. I know this because I just removed these pieces from my car yesterday.

Good luck with whatever decision you go with

Jeff
    1983 GT Hatchback