Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Quote Originally Posted by PROSTOCKTOM View Post
    Love the rearend work. I have a set of 325/50/15 BF Goodrich Drag Radials mounted on 12" rims I intend to use

on my 80 Futura within the next year. They measure 14-3/8" wide from side wall to side wall.

Tom
    Should look mean with a big tire on there. The minitub/coil over setup is nice because you can tuck the tire and get a nice ride height to it.

Just a note...from a traction perspective, the BFG drag radials really suck compared to the other offerings on the market today.
    Last edited by never; 04-11-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Default Show Off Your "Other" Fox Body Car .. ('78-92 non-Mustangs/Capris)

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    But I just made a deal on this with all the T5 stuff and another 8.8...heading out to pick it up next week:

Just a follow up on this...left yesterday morning, drove 10 hours, loaded this up, and drove back the 10 hours (a little tired today!).

Here it is loaded up just outside of Abbotsford, BC. It's a really solid car...can't wait to swap the engine, nitrous and interior stuff from the LTD LX! But I did promise myself I wouldn't touch it until the brown car is done...I need that finished for race season!

At home with the other 4-door Foxes. Hit some pretty brutal weather sections on the way home so it got pretty dirty.

Last edited by never; 03-25-2016 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks, but the turbines came on the car when I bought it and honestly I never liked turbines. Being 15" x 7" they are

a problem on a Fairmont frontend if you have very wide tires. Since the fenders come straight down compared to the

flared edge openings on a Mustang. It has 205/60 Comp TA II's mounted on the front and they clear OK until a 215#

friend rides in the passenger seat, they will rub.

As far as , the u-joint conversion there are lots of videos on YouTube that show how to do it and tell you to buy a

$25 u-joint on eBay. However I would caution against using a $25 Chinese u-joint on a major steering component

(not worth death to save a few dollars) Also one guy on the net drilled a huge hole through the u-joint and shaft for

a cross bolt. Personally it would worry me from drilling out most of the shaft below the weld. After looking at his

weld I would be worried too. If you have a good weld this is not needed IMHO.

For the u-joint choice I bought an American made Sweet brand u-joint and never gave it a second thought with

my life. Since my car has manual steering I needed a 9/16"-26 spline to 3/4" smooth bore u-joint. Power steering

cars use a 3/4"-36 spline. Either way after looking around on the internet to find the best deal I settled on buying

it on eBay and oddly the best deal was local.

Manual Steering
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/360656825360...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Power Steering
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sweet-Mfg-40...FUcghO&vxp=mtr

Just make sure to install the splined portion of the u-joint all the way on the steering rack shaft before you make

you cut mark on the solid shaft. It not hard to complete this modification, but measure twice and cut once. I had

trouble getting the shaft coming out of the column in slide in and out easy and ended up removing the column to

free up the shaft or one can loosen the rack mounting bolts as another option. Because of the shaft not moving I

knocked some paint off during installation, but it's on there.

Tom
    Yeah, I know all about F/Z fender clearance issues...

That steering mod is cool, but if welding is involved it's probably off the table for me. I just knew guys liked SN95 steering setups over Fox because of the u-joint.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

It really is not that hard to do it right or the other option was a $239 Maximum Motorsports shaft.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/St...tang-P459.aspx

However after seeing one in person I was happier with the simpler look of mine. Theirs is just to bulky looking.

Tom

It really is not that hard to do it right or the other option was a $239 Maximum Motorsports shaft.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/St...tang-P459.aspx

However after seeing one in person I was happier with the simpler look of mine. Theirs is just to bulky looking.

Tom
    Yeah, that's what stopping me from doing it, mostly. I think that's too much money.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Hello im Rudy, heres my fairmont. iv had her for two years and she has been my daily ever since. shes just a dream to drive. i have never had any problems with her. iv even took her on multiple road trips and never once hiccuped.
    Name:  12065960_1052327104797651_1578286707506553538_n.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  139.8 KB

Very nice.
    I wish I had your front bumper, it looks like it has no oxidation on it all.
    Are you in the Amarillo area?
    Somewhere down in Texas...

It has slight oxidation but not so much. but originally down from the San Antonio Area.

Nice!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 79Fairmontphillis View Post
    Hello im Rudy, heres my fairmont. iv had her for two years and she has been my daily ever since. shes just a dream to drive. i have never had any problems with her. iv even took her on multiple road trips and never once hiccuped.
    What engine and tranny has it got? Are those mesh wheels on there?

its got the inline 6 3.3l With a c4 Tranny and the rims are 14' American racing outlaw 2s.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  93.3 KB
    My '79. 2 owner car, one of the cleaner ones I've came across.
    Last edited by mcooke; 04-13-2016 at 11:06 PM.

^Good looking car. Looks like the first one I had.

Here's a pic of my 10 sec LTD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TDG...ature=youtu.be

And here's a few of my old Zephyr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7LMjNmGvt0

Engine shot:
    Last edited by 408GT; 04-14-2016 at 07:43 AM.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 418 sbf w/ glide E-100 and Nitrous. Mid 5's @ 124 on 26x10's
    1986 Ford LTD street car w/ turbo. Best et/mph so far 10.5 @ 140 on 17" hard tires. Driven to and from track.

Great video!

So are you going turbo now on the Zephyr? I noticed in the shot with the wheels up; it looks like the collectors are going back, but in the side view of the car-the exhaust is now exiting in front of the front wheel.

FEP Senior Member

Love it.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Quote Originally Posted by mcooke View Post
    So are you going turbo now on the Zephyr? I noticed in the shot with the wheels up; it looks like the collectors are going back, but in the side view of the car-the exhaust is now exiting in front of the front wheel.
    The wheels up shot it was a nitrous car and the side shot it was a turbo car. It went 9.7 @ 148 on the turbo setup with low boost and pump gas with a crap 1.76 60' time. But with the turbo setup I could drive it to and from the track. Only problem I had with it was it was a racecar on the street and it drove like crap. So I transferred the drive train from the Zephyr to the LTD. And I'm very pleased with how the LTD turned out. It is a true street car IMO.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 418 sbf w/ glide E-100 and Nitrous. Mid 5's @ 124 on 26x10's
    1986 Ford LTD street car w/ turbo. Best et/mph so far 10.5 @ 140 on 17" hard tires. Driven to and from track.

I hear you there. Never been a fan of the purpose-built race car thing. I'd much rather have a car I can jump in and drive somewhere anytime I want.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678