Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ecoboost swap in a fox?

I've found two ecoboost swaps online, one was a 34 ford, the other a '66 truck. Has anyone on here looked at the possibility of sticking one in a Mustang? I want to put one in my Fairmont, preferably with the 6sp auto. Can anyone shed some light before I go find a donor?

Blog Entries

LMR is following a guy that is doing the new 2.0 Ecoboost and an IRS in an '89 LX. I actually am pretty interested in this one, might make a killer daily!

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ect-Ugly-Horse
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

3.5 truck engine is what I'm shooting for.

Supposedly with how complicated the direct injection is, the swap is next to impossible without factory help. Maybe Ford will sell a control pack like they do for the new 5.0s for the 3.5 someday.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

I don't see this as being much more of a jump than the choice between carbs and SEFI.
    All the high-pressure bits of the fuel system are on the engine itself. Of course, you're
    not going to be using a Megasquirt or some such any time soon, but given you have the
    ECU and harnesses from the donor vehicle, I don't see Ecoboost presenting any major
    swap obstacles just because it's GDI.

IMO, Ford would be crazy -not- to offer control packs, if they really want these engines
    to become popular swap material.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Why would one not be using Megasquirt?? Does it not do direct injection?
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Controlling direct injection is a bit more complicated than port injection, what with having
    to control not only the injector pulse width, but also the fuel pressure, and variable injector
    timing. Then factor in in the TIVCT controls. I expect, in time, the aftermarket will catch
    up with the technology, but if I were looking to swap one of these into a Fox, the factory
    ECU from the donor already knows how to do it all.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Makes sense. I appreciate the explaination.

Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Well, for the project I am going to purchase a wrecked f150. That should provide most everything we'll need to make it run. The factory trans is a big question that I wonder about.

I recall a magazine swapping a supercharged Lightning engine into a fox and having all kinds of problems because the dash was somehow integrated into the wiring. They ended up swapping the Lightning dash into the car also to make it run. Also, might the PATS system present a problem? Not saying it can't be done, just might be more complicated than anticipated. Do research before spending $, it sounds like a cool project.

Quote Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
    LMR is following a guy that is doing the new 2.0 Ecoboost and an IRS in an '89 LX. I actually am pretty interested in this one, might make a killer daily!

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ect-Ugly-Horse
    i was just looking at that the other day. looks like a cool swap for a driver.

Looking at the cost of the crate motor, I dont think Ford is pushing to see these used in the aftermarket. If your going to whick it up and make some crazy power, sounds cool. I hope your able to figure out a way to tune it so you dont end up with an EcoTurd. Im guessing since your donor will be a truck, the cal will be way off(different weight/load).

3.5 ecoboost tear down videos;

http://www.429-460.com/t8678-35l-eco-boost-tear-down

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

has your really cool plan gone anywhere yet?

Suspension from Maximum Motorsports is here. Kinda piddling while losing patience waiting on FRPP to get the control pack out. At this point I can still go the boring coyote route, don't really want to mainly because I think they sound terrible. I had a 13 gt with a hellion single and sold it. Don't know how much longer I can wait though. I'm ready to get something in the engine bay.

Not looking to buy something out of the scrap yard?

The engine, I would. I'm just in a remote area and it's hard to get the "small" parts sometimes. The scrap yards within 50mi of me don't even know ford has a turbo gas engine.

I bought a complete running 2011 F150 Ecoboost 4x4 truck, a rollover, with 16K miles for under $10K from World Wide Auto in Uath WWW.getwwa.com. I had it shipped to Detroit area for $800. I now have all the parts needed to make a 3.5L Ecoboost run with a 6R80 auto, and believe me, that takes a lot of parts. I figure the parts I do not need will bring about $6.5-8K when I sell them.

I plan to use a 2011-2014 3.7L Mustang 6R80 trans for my swap. LKQ sells these for about $1000. or less, depending on miles. It will bolt right up to the 3.5L EB and this trans has the correct tail-housing, mount, and driveshaft size for easy fit into a Fox or SN95 Mustang.

I am not sure it will all fit, but I am thinking I will use the accessory drive system from a 2011-2012 Ford Flex as this vehicle had a 3.5L Ecoboost with hydraulic power steering. (F150 steering is electric, as are mustangs from 2011. )

I plan to use a tubular K-member to get more room for the exhaust which will be made from the F150 H-pipe and a Fox V8 H-pipe. Just looking at it, I think this should work. Using Mod-motor motor mounts which will bolt to the 3.5L's block with just some minor tweaks. I plan to keep full emissions systems in-place as my state will require yearly emissions checks.

The real difficult part is using the F150's Engine control Electronics. Working now with the donor truck to figure out just how the system works, and what I will need to do to transplant it into a Mustang. LOTS of electrical connections. The PCM has two large connectors. The engine/trans harnesses plug into one, and the other has all the "body" wiring, like MAFS, HEGOs, basically any think that is not mounted onto the engine or trans. The "body" connector also has Power, Ground, start system interface, and the two CAN bus links. VREF and power for some sensors and the coils actually does not come from the PCM, they come from the BCM (Body Control Module). These can be provided without the BCM via fuses and relays triggered by the ignition switch. I still have a handful of circuits to work out, as well as how to by-pass the PATS system, and these are not easy, frustrating so far, but I will keep working on them.

Please, keep detailed notes and pictures to document this. This is a swap I'm very interested in.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

very interesting project

I got a friend to measure a Ecoboost engine from a F150. The widest point is across the turbos, and that measures 28-1/2". The frame rails of a Fox Mustang are like 32" wide, so the 3.5L Ecoboost will fit.

The width across the heads is only 22-1/2", so unlike a mod motor V8, there will be no problem keeping the vacuum brake booster.

It appears the steering shaft will clear the driver's side turbo.

The stock F150 exhaust manifold flanges are 1" narrower than a mod motor, so connection up a stock Mustang H-pipe should be an easy modification to do. I plan to use the F150 cats from my donor truck as my state (Nevada, Clark County) requires the emissions capability of the engine to be maintained.

The oil pan is going to be an issue. It is a cast aluminum structural pan, and while it does have a rear sump, the rear sump is longer and the front half of the pan is still 6-1/4" deep as measured to the crank center line. The rear sump is 9-1/4" deep from the crank center line. Even with a tubular K-member, some work is going to be needed to get the pan to clear the steering rack. I will need some test-fits to know more.

I am also looking at the best way to add a power steering pump (F150s are Electric Steering).

It appears that the 6R80 will fit into the Fox tunnel by just moving the Rear-face-of-block (RFoB) less than 1" forward, which is no problem as the engine is short (22") and motor mounts need to be fabricated anyway. The bigger issue is the location of the transmission's rear mount versus the Fox trans cross member location. The mount location is about 5" farther rearward. on the 6R80. This will require a unique and strong rear mount cross member. (I am still looking at using a 6R80 from a 3.7L V6 mustang as the mount, gear ratios, and drive shaft flange might be better.)

I am still working on the donor truck's wiring to get the truck to run correctly without all the other modules hanging on the CAN bus. Making good progress here, just have a couple of issues to figure out so the truck shifts correctly and gets to full boost without setting any codes that would make it fail the Calif Emissions in-use testing. The Factory control system is VERY complex with over 10 other modules connected via the High Speed CAN bus.

n20capri,

Good info for a lot of guys doing powertrain swaps from +2011 cars into older cars. Looks pretty simple and really cheap too! Finding room under the dash for that motor might be a challenge but I am sure it can be done.

I actually have been looking into making a tubular K-member for a fox to mount the 3.5L Ecoboost Engine that has steering rack mounts to use a +2011 S197 electric steering rack. The +2011 S197 steering column is an easy adapt to a fox/SN95 and then you would also be able to have paddle shifters if you want them by using the steering wheel and wiring from a +2011 Explorer Sport.

man that is great perfect for an LX
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Name:  F150 Ecoboost 004.jpg
Views: 6751
Size:  131.4 KB

This photo shows the F150 Ecoboost engine with 6R80 auto trans. Note the the trans is not really too much bigger around or longer as compared to an AOD, but the rear mount is at the very end of the trans, right under the driveshaft mating flange. Not impossible to mount into a Fox, but a custom cross member design will be required.

Name:  F150 Ecoboost 005.jpg
Views: 6637
Size:  104.5 KB
    Name:  F150 Ecoboost 006.jpg
Views: 6609
Size:  102.9 KB

These photos show the driver's side turbo location relative the the motor mount and the H-pipe connection. Somehow, the Fox steering shaft needs to snake through below the turbo and the motor mount. (The passenger side turbo is mount lower and slightly farther forward.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast