Close

Default 1st Track night in 9 years

I finally got my junk to the track last night (1/8 mile). Local track held the Car Craft Midnight drags for Street Machines Nationals last night. First few passes I wasn't impressed with myself or the car. 9.1x at 79mph and 9.2 at 79mph, 60fts both in the 2.0Xs. I had worked all last week chasing problems with my 650 DP and after the first couple passes the fuel bowl started leaking. I was going to call it a night and swapped the old faithful 600 VS carb on and decided to make one more run. Launch was good 60ft still in the 2.0Xs but ran an 8.80 at 85mph. That was a little more like it.

I still think its got a solid 8.0 in it, just need to work on the 60ft. I have full suspension under it, out dated for sure. South Side upper and lowers, Eibach drag springs and Lakewoods all around. Think I will try and get to the track in a couple more weeks before heading to Mustang Week and see if I can improve. Car launched good on all runs but started spinning until hitting second.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the 60fts should be at? I was guessing 1.80-1.90s
    85 Vert, 302 5 Speed "Comin with the Heat!"

Feels good to be back at it after a long absence doesn't it? When I started racing again in 2008, the last pass I'd made before that was in 1978.

If you're at 85 mph in the 1/8 I'd think a 1.8x sixty should be a sure bet with good hook. What tires?
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

With that same suspension set up on my 86 coupe in the early 90's i was cutting 1.65-70 60's launching at 5k with 4.10 gears running on 26x8.5 M/T ET drag slicks. The engine was stock with only full exhaust mods and full engine bolt-ons. Launching on a 150 shot of nitrous would net 1.55-60's.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Feels good to be back at it after a long absence doesn't it? When I started racing again in 2008, the last pass I'd made before that was in 1978.

If you're at 85 mph in the 1/8 I'd think a 1.8x sixty should be a sure bet with good hook. What tires?
    Yes it feels great, my wife is going to really hate me now. I have been looking around on the web to see what stockish cars where running. My MPH seems to be right with the guys running 12.90s in the 1/4. I am currently running on 17" wheels with 275/40/17 Nitto DR. Hoping to get some big n littles soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LILRED86COUPE View Post
    With that same suspension set up on my 86 coupe in the early 90's i was cutting 1.65-70 60's launching at 5k with 4.10 gears running on 26x8.5 M/T ET drag slicks. The engine was stock with only full exhaust mods and full engine bolt-ons. Launching on a 150 shot of nitrous would net 1.55-60's.
    I basically have a carbed 93 cobra motor. I new my 60s should be better but I didn't think that I would be able to get into the 1.70 range. I know its going to take some more trips down. It was hooking good out of the hole, but did seem to spin a little after launching. The track was just dried it had rained about 3 hours prior to running, so hopefully that had something to do with it. Along with heavy air.

Next time out I am going to drop the air pressure more and give her hell.

Drag radials and stick shift cars are tuff to master, 17's make it even harder with very little sidewall to take alot of shock from a hard launch. Are you taking this car to Mustang Week? I'm going also, do you know about drag night at Darlington Dragway? The track is a 1/4 mile too. If you gonna go to drag night and run your car,i'll bring my 15x8 Weld Draglites that have 26x10.5 ET street's and let you make some passes on those free of charge. I live only 45min. from Darlington so it won't be a problem,i got cordless tools and a floor jack also.
    Last edited by LilRed86coupe; 06-30-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LILRED86COUPE View Post
    Drag radials and stick shift cars are tuff to master, 17's make it even harder with very little sidewall to take alot of shock from a hard launch. Are you taking this car to Mustang Week? I'm going also, do you know about drag night at Darlington Dragway? The track is a 1/4 mile too. If you gonna go to drag night and run your car,i'll bring my 15x8 Weld Draglites that have 26x10.5 ET street's and let you make some passes on those free of charge. I live only 45min. from Darlington so it won't be a problem,i got cordless tools and a floor jack also.
    Thanks for the offer but unfortunately the car will not be coming to mustang week this year. I know stick cars and DRs don't mix well it will be fun. I was running about 20psi in the tires last night. I went down to 18 and a bigger burnout on the last pass. Staged launched and it popped out of 1st. I got some tweaking to do.

Quote Originally Posted by toddyfiveo View Post
    Thanks for the offer but unfortunately the car will not be coming to mustang week this year. I know stick cars and DRs don't mix well it will be fun. I was running about 20psi in the tires last night. I went down to 18 and a bigger burnout on the last pass. Staged launched and it popped out of 1st. I got some tweaking to do.
    You'll get better with practice and more laps down the track with the radials. You still coming to drag night anyway to watch right?

Oh yeah. Ill be there my buddy is bringing his 07 GT500 so I'm going to talk him into running

Quote Originally Posted by toddyfiveo View Post
    Oh yeah. Ill be there my buddy is bringing his 07 GT500 so I'm going to talk him into running
    Great!! PM me your cell number and i'll call you at the track and we'll meet up and egg you buddy on to run that beast down the 1/4 mile!