Close

Default 87-88 Turbocoupe Headlights?

Does anybody know where I can get a NOS or even aftermarket headlight assembly for an 87-88 Thinderbird Turbocoupe?
    1998 SVT Contour #0003/Bondurant Instructor Car
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe
    1970 Boss 302 Trans-Am Package

Parts numbers courtesy of NATO:
    http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/8...rt_Numbers.htm

E7SZ-13008-A
    E7SZ-13008-B

You're looking at three bills if you get it through the place I like to buy my genuine new Ford parts from: http://www.silverstatefordparts.com
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Can either of you tell me if just the headlight lenses can be replaced instead of the whole headlight?
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Even if it is I don't know that the lenses can be purchased separately. The lens is probably glued to the back half anyway. If it is you would have to bake the assembly to soften it enough to break the lens away from the back half, and then find the proper glue so that the re-bonded replacement will not fall off later due to high ambient temps, or if it is bumped, etc.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Ok, thanks for that info Mick.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Parts numbers courtesy of NATO:
    http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/8...rt_Numbers.htm

E7SZ-13008-A
    E7SZ-13008-B

You're looking at three bills if you get it through the place I like to buy my genuine new Ford parts from: http://www.silverstatefordparts.com
    Worth every penny after driving with cloudy lenses
    1980 Capri
    5.0 EFI Mass Air, Rebuilt T5, Centerforce Dual Friction, B&M Ripper Shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5 Lug 8.8, Cobra Brakes, Maximum Motorsports HD Lower Control Arms 94GT Spindles, 94 Front Control Arms, B Springs, Tokico Shocks & Struts, MM Camber Plates

gentlemen:

I just Resealed and Re-finished my Passenger Side Headlight lense ( Drivers side maybe this week )

On the 1987-88 TC's the "Lense" is "bonded" to the Main Body assembly with what was ONCE a "Flexible Sealant. After 25 years my drivers side lense "Popped Out" when I was draining water out of the Body which was a result of the OEM sealant drying out and letting water in.

The lense has a stepped backside that fits into a Grove that runs top and bottom and side to side on the main Body -

This is where the sealant was applied.

After about 3 hours with several XACTO #10 Blades and the judicious use of a Hair Dryer ( IF you are going to attempt this DO NOT USE an Automotive heat gun - Even lowest Temp setting would easily melt the main body plastic ) exercising Extreme care and caution to not damage the main Body Chanel I removed ALL the old sealant and had smooth, clean main body grove. Which once I had also removed ant trace of old sealant from the Stepped surface on the backside of the lense, I then cleaned both parts with Dish soap and water - Rinsing profusely to remove all of the detergent prior to reassembly. I then used - Per the recommendation of a fellow TC Owner on the NATO Web site- "Automotive Amazing GOOP" in a Red Tube ( Look it up on the PEP Boys Web Site - Though my local Pep was out of stock I Purchased a tube at nearby Advanced Auto parts. "Amazing Automotive GOOP" IS THE ACTUAL NAME - Is a Clear sealant that dried Clear and provides a "flexible , waterproof seal" ..

Cost about $4.00 - It required 24 hours to dry and has worked perfectly for me. If you are very careful in the application of the GOOP, which I was , there is No Trace of the re-sealed lense either outside or inside the assembly

When I had the Lense off I used a Griot's Garage Headlight Restoration Kit and My Passenger side lense looks just "Showroom Fresh" Terrific.

If the Lense assemblies are not cracked or too badly Pitted or sand blasted this is ( IMHO ) a good , effective and practical way to go when refinishing the TC Headlight lenses and improve the performance of your headlights.

Hope that that helps Jay86GT and anyone else with TC Headlight issues.

You can Rmove the entire "main Headlight Assembly - BUT be extremely careful not to damage the Headlight adjustment hardware -

My advice - Go to the NATO Web site and find the Headlight repair threads - There are many helpful ones.
    Last edited by EJSVO; 07-15-2013 at 07:33 PM.
    1986 SVO 7b - Original Owner
    1988 Turbo Coupe - Original Owner
    2015 Fusion Titanium AWD - DD
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Son's DD

Past Pony's

1964 - Mustang - 289 - 225 HP - Dad's - Delivered 4/17/64
    1965 - Mustang - Hi Po GT - Prairie Bronze
    1967 - Shelby GT 350

Silverstate says they dont have them... any place else I can check?
    1998 SVT Contour #0003/Bondurant Instructor Car
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe
    1970 Boss 302 Trans-Am Package

I just checked and Green Sales Company does not stock them either. You can try to get your local Ford dealership (or any one for that matter) do a system wide search of the part numbers for you. If a dealership has them in stock and is on the computerized inventory then it will show up. Otherwise . . .

Another option similar to EJSVO's post it to clean, prep, and sand the headlights with fine sandpaper to remove all original haze and then clear coat them with automotive urethane clear. I have done this over the years to SVO headlights, 87-93 headlights, and multiple sets of tail lights and it works very well! It's a bit more involved than just polishing them, but I have had good luck with the clear helping to bring back some pretty poor lights that had sand blast issues, pitting, etc. that normal polishing would not fix. For best results removing the lens from the housing will allow you to clean both sides of the lens as well as inside the housing which will give you the best results.

Best of Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Here's you another option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1988-87...bb8edf&vxp=mtr

Maybe not New, but appear to be in really good shape.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller