Close

Default race report 6-21-13 another very good night

I’ve gotta say I’m a bit blown away by how good this racing season has gone so far. Everything seems to be going my way at this time. The car is hooking hard, running great and very consistently with no breakage to speak of. The driver is hammering the tree and actually making the right calls at the stripe. It’s been magic so far with 7 trips to the track resulting in bringing home the gold 4 times! Four wins is the most I’ve ever had in an entire year and there’s still 4 months to go in this one. I’m even the points leader by a fair margin. Magic I tell you! I intend to fully enjoy it while it lasts as I’m aware it could go south at any time.

After having very short fields in our class most weeks we finally had a good turnout last night with 13 cars entered in street stick. The regulars were me, Dennis, Chris and last year’s champion Brandon who was making only his second appearance this year. We asked him where he’s been and he said he just bought a house and has been very busy. We need to talk to that guy about priorities.

The other 9 cars were guys we didn’t know. Some seemed to be complete noobs, but a few had stickers from other tracks on their cars, and were driving cars that looked like race cars. I think some of those more experienced guys were thrown off by the pro tree though as their lights were not so good.

We got 4 time trials and I was planning to dial 11.91, same as I’ve started with the last two times out till the last trial when I ran 11.85. I wanted to stay with my “dial hard and run it out” strategy so I put 11.85 on the window to start eliminations.

I only have one decent video from time trials but it illustrates a point I think. Notice how late the other guy is in leaving the line? That’s a killer when eliminations roll around.

http://youtu.be/5NVCuHbjFzg?t=34s

We regulars usually try to avoid running each other in the first round with a big field, preferring to “thin the herd” first and knock each other out later, but the lanes were kind of a mess first round and Dennis wound up matched with Brandon while Chris and I did each get a noob. Brandon showed he was a bit rusty as Dennis took him out easily. In a big upset Chris lost to his noob when he had trouble with his line lock and wound up red lighting.

As for me I got an obvious noob who was dialed at 14.40. I never have as good a light when I’m chasing, and I didn’t have a particularly good one here, but his was positively horrid (.608 ), and he ran well off his dial. Anytime you give a 3+ second head start to the opponent and still catch him before the 1/8, well it just doesn’t get much easier than that. I just coasted to about as easy a win as you can get.

With round one over Dennis and I discussed strategy for the rest of the night. Seven cars were left and Dennis had the bye rights in round two. Only Dennis and I were left of the regulars so we looked ahead a bit. With the bye we knew Dennis would advance and went ahead and assumed I would also. That would leave the two of us and two “irregulars” in the third round. We decided that when third round was called Dennis would go over immediately and try to line up with one of them while I’d dilly dally a bit hoping to get the other. Then if we both won, it would be Dennis and I in the finals.

Second round I get matched with a 2000? Camaro, a car I knew nothing about. I looked for his dial so I’d know if I was going first or not and was amazed to see he was dialed at 11.40. Appearances are indeed deceiving sometimes as I would have pegged this car as a 14 second ride as it looked to be bone stock, even down to the tires. Of course I knew something was up and assumed a power adder was involved, which meant I could expect him to close real fast at the end. This race was won at the tree as my .044 was too much for his slow .311. With his tires he also had a crappy 60’, but once he got going it was hold on time! I looked for him at the 1/8 and he was way back, but I stayed hard on the gas, and sure enough as the stripe came up he was really gaining. Still I felt I had enough margin to tap the brakes, and crossed first by about 8 ft. His car that didn’t look like it could cover the 11.40 dial had run 11.29 @ 133! Definitely a sleeper.

Third round went exactly as we’d planned. Dennis hurried over and lined up with a guy in a white Mustang while I got the other kid. Dennis took care of business and so did I. My run was another real easy one where I braked early with a big lead due to a huge advantage at the tree. It shows how important the tree is that this was the second round where I got the stripe without breaking out while my opponent did run under and still couldn’t beat me to the stripe. Most races are won or lost at the very start.

So now for a little while Dennis was no longer my friend, instead he was the guy I wanted to put on the trailer. We discussed lane choice as there had been several oil downs throughout the night, all in the left lane. Dennis didn’t really want the “greasy lane”, but that was fine with me as I usually prefer the left lane when I’m being chased. I can see the chaser better looking across the car than looking to my left.

Show time and once again the tree was the story. I had a decent .033 while Dennis napped with a .118, but I did get a bit of spin which made it real close. At the very end I felt a light brake tap was in order and for once I played the stripe game properly cutting the MOV to less than 4 ft.

Last edited by mmb617; 07-06-2017 at 09:39 AM.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Blog Entries

Love these reports- and they give me a little insight as to how to fix my mistakes.I have been trying to fix my 60' times, so I have not even looked at my R/T yet. Just looked at some of my slips-not even going to tell you what they are.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Thats getting it done...
    Yep my **** is coming apart again... Isnt life great!

(My peeps!)
    http://www.sbftech.com/
    http://www.fordstrokers.com/index.php

Nice job Mike, like you said, enjoy every second of it while its going your way.

I did similar in 2011 in my regular Saturday class, was huge out front, things went bad (work comitments, broken car, all kinds of crap) and I missed races. Took 2nd place 4 weeks to catch me without me racing at all. By that point I was disgusted and switch classes and never ran points again. Just shows it can change in an instant. Enjoy it, you are sure earning it!
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

I'll tell ya Bob, I don't have my head in the clouds as I fully realize how quick it can change. I have an issue that's going to cause me to miss this week's race already. I have enough lead that I'm not going to be knocked off the top by missing one race, but since I don't run the full schedule anyways I'll never be the points champion at the end of the year. So I don't really chase the points, other than to rub it into my buddies that I'm ahead of them (at least for now).
    408/T5/3.73's

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

That was an awesome read Mike! I love how you and Dennis ganged up on the rookies, dilly dallying and stuff. LOL! It shows that you've become wise to the ways of racing, which is good! I guess you got the Pizza?
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    That was an awesome read Mike! I love how you and Dennis ganged up on the rookies, dilly dallying and stuff. LOL! It shows that you've become wise to the ways of racing, which is good! I guess you got the Pizza?
    When I first proposed the strategy Dennis was concerned that if we pounded on the noobs they wouldn't come back. So I asked him if the regulars didn't do the same thing to him when he was new, and he admitted they did. That's part of paying your dues IMO. I know my very first night running the brackets there were 8 cars and in three rounds I ran the then #'s 1, 2, and 3 in points. You think that was an accident? I didn't know anybody then but they all introduced themselves later.

Oh yeah, we got the pizza! Winner's pizza is the best pizza you can get. mmm
    408/T5/3.73's

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

LOL! I right with ya on the strategy. The first time I saw a guy changing his dial in on the windshield, I was like "You can do that?" LOL!. I learned that one real quick and have done it too. Pizza is awesome!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I always enjoy these reports. Makes me want to get out to the local track just to watch the races again.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version