Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hurst line lock install questions

Just ordered a line lock for my mustang, and I can't figure out the best way to install it. All the diagrams that are on the instruction sheet, doesn't match my master cylinder in any way. I have the stock master, and proportioning valve. Does anyone have photos of their setup?

It's pretty much a straight forward install. Out of your portioning valve (the line that goes to the front brakes), install a new line and connect that to your new soleniod (in) out of the other side of the solenoid (out) that line goes to your Distribution Block for the front brakes. After that, wire it, bleed it and you're done. Happy burn out time!!
    1966 Big Block Sport Fury.

I have the Summit Racing one but its the same thing. You can kind of see how I have it plumbed in this picture.

Name:  Engine Paint 008.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  75.5 KBName:  5.0 Work 037.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  76.7 KB
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

FEP Power Member black1980fiveoh's Avatar

it is easier than you think. Sorry I don't have a good picture for you.

1980 Cobra http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2364382
    11.82@115 mph - 2015 - retired due to cancer
    1981 Cobra
    reborn with a lot of new go fast parts and time to make it look pretty
    11.80 @114 mph - 2016

The supply for the solenoid comes from the master cylinder or the proportioning valve?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It's pretty much a straight forward install. Out of your portioning valve (the line that goes to the front brakes), install a new line and connect that to your new soleniod (in) out of the other side of the solenoid (out) that line goes to your Distribution Block for the front brakes. After that, wire it, bleed it and you're done. Happy burn out time!!
    So, I'm gonna remove the line for the front brakes from the distribution block, feed that into the "IN" port of the solenoid, and then send that line back into the distribution block? I used the wrong word in my original post, I don't have a proportioning valve, just the master, and the distribution block

Quote Originally Posted by 4EYES31 View Post
    I have the stock master, and proportioning valve. Does anyone have photos of their setup?
    I don't have a proportioning valve, just the master, and the distribution block
    If you have the stock combination valve, then that contains the proportional valve inside for the rear brakes. It is preset from the factory, there is no adjustment. There is also the differential warning valve, and the distribution splitter block, all wrapped into one chunk.

Splice into the primary circuit which is closest to the booster.
    MC > Line Lock > Combination valve. Wire it up and try some burnouts.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

Does anyone have a clear photo on how they installed their line lock, I can't make heads or tales from the other photos

Also, I have looked at several photos of other foxbody installs on google, and my master cylinder is different than the others. my MC is all steel, even the reservoir, and the MC i see have a plastic reservoir. Does that make any difference? I doubt it does, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Like I was saying before, it's straight forward really. Look at the pic. If yours is different then this, take a few pics of your setup and post them here. I can walk you through it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yeah, I'm gonna take some pictures tomorrow, because my system doesn't look like that.

What year is your car?

86 lx.

Here are the pics of my system
    Attached Images Attached Images   

sorry for the bad pics, but the line for the front left brake is at the bottom, in the back of the block, and the RF is at the very back of the block.

all you have to do is put it in the line to the front brakes between the mc and prop valve and wire it up, you'll need to add a brake line from the line lock to the prop valve, so simple a caveman could do it
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by FM2NOTCH View Post
    all you have to do is put it in the line to the front brakes between the mc and prop valve and wire it up, you'll need to add a brake line from the line lock to the prop valve, so simple a caveman could do it
    Hurst instructions do not recommend doing it that way, although, I may do it that way. They want you to add the line lock after the prop valve, which I would probably use the port for the LF brake, run a new line from there, feed it into the solenoid, remove the RF line from the block, cap the port in the block, then tie the two lines together with a tee fitting. That's what they suggest, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work the way you suggested.
    Last edited by 4EYES31; 07-01-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Hurst instructions do not recommend doing it that way, although, I may do it that way. They want you to add the line lock after the prop valve, which I would probably use the bottom line for the left front brake, feed it into the solenoid, remove the RF line from the block, cap the port in the block, then tie the two lines together with a tee fitting. That's what they suggest, but I don't see any reason why it would work the way you suggested.
    more than one way to complicate things, the line lock on my 85 is installed as I described, been on it since the mid 90's
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Is your brake system the same setup as mine? If so, I'm definitely gonna set mine up the same way.

mine has all stock 85 parts, the line lock came from summit, one line in one line out, I have it wired to the horn button, of course the horns have neen removed.
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 07-01-2013 at 08:46 PM.

The way FM2NOTCH said to run is the way you should do it. You won't have any issues. Let us know how it goes.

Follow the directions in post #7. This is the correct way. The year of your car or model of your m/c will not matter.

You DO NOT want to install the line lock on only one front brake.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield
    "mmm hmmm, this is a tasty burger..."
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MIKE View Post
    Splice into the primary circuit which is closest to the booster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield
    "Say 'what' again."
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast