Close

Neither here nor there

Default 1995 Mustang GT won't run - NEED HELP ASAP

My sons car was running fine Saturday, took it to work, parked it, came out of work and went to start it and it caught for a tiny second but then never started.

Here is what I know-

- Distributor was in need of replacing as the bushing were shot and it squeaked, was hoping it might be the PIP and then be done with it, but its not it. Another distributor is installed and no go.
    - Will run on ether only as long as I spray.
    - 38lbs of fuel pressure and I hear the pump turn on, tested at the schrader with a Fuel Pressure Gauge
    - Coil wire is producing spark as I stuck a screw driver in the end of the wire and put it near ground.
    - Pulled off wire 5, stuck screw driver in and held near ground, spark upon rotation.
    - took off an injector connector and it connects to ground upon key turning forward.

I ran codes and we already know the transmission needs to be flushed and shutter fixed as it shutters, so that is some of the codes but the damn thing goes so fast I am having a hell of a time keeping track of what code it throwing, here is a video. http://youtu.be/DMEEjWsryFU

Any help would be appreciated, this is his main transportation right now and I need to get him running ASAP

Keep in mind, I am no pro and handle me gloves lol

FEP Senior Member

Seems like you have spark and fuel. Are the injectors spraying fuel? Pull a plug Depending on the way the engine management signals the injectors it seems like the problem could be there.

****Disclaimer****
    Speaking from experience with a swapped 16v GTI which ran a hall effect sender in order to signal the injectors. Not very familiar with injected Ford 302's
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Neither here nor there

With this new distributor, this is more then I got before.

http://youtu.be/6YX6anSpwSk

I also tried a Mallory Promaster Classic Series coil I had laying around, and ran some jumper wires to the leads from the engine harness, has good spark with both this and the stock coil.

Neither here nor there

I am trying to figure out how to make a noid light to test the injector pulse I think, well from what I am reading, but not sure how yet.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Neither here nor there

Thanks Ed

I just picked up at Noid tester since it cheap enough to have, no blinky dinky
    Never used one, I assume just plug it in to injector harness, crank and watch for a light correct?

I used the Bosch-2 in the bottom row as it fit.

Connector off injector, red wire has 12v to ground with a meter in the KEY ON position as well.

Neither here nor there

Ran codes again

Codes are as follows (which I know I have to get the trans flushed and shutter snake oil put in )

Anything here a clue for no injector pulse ?

- 553 - Air management 2 circuit failure (AM1/TAD)
    - 564 - Electro-Drive Fan circuit failure
    - 558 - EGR Vacuum Regulator circuit failure
    - 565 - Canister purge circuit failure
    - 652 - Modulated Converter Clutch Control solenoid output circuit error
    - 625 - Electronic Pressure Control driver open in EEC

Neither here nor there

I just checked my TPS Voltage with key on, reading 3.9 volts instead of under 1.00

That appears to be it. ( I think )

TPS voltage exceeds 3.7 volts with the throttle closed. This will shut off the injectors, since the computer uses this strategy to clear a flooded engine. Use a DVM, a pair of safety pins, and probe the black/white and green wires to measure the TPS voltage.
    On a 94-95 Mustang, probe the black/white and grey/white wires to measure the TPS voltage.
    It should be .5-.1.0 volts with the key on, engine not running. Note that if the black/white wire (signal ground) has a bad connection, you will get some strange readings. Make a second measurement using the battery post as the ground to eliminate any ground problems. If the readings are different by more than 5%, you may have a high resistance condition in the black/white signal ground circuit.

Neither here nor there

Well this blows, TPS voltage is STILL at 3.9 volts at closed position and goes to 1v ish at WOT, wtf!!

FEP Senior Member

Time to follow wires. Always everyones favorite thing to do. Except maybe for me I love troubleshooting electrical.
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Neither here nor there

Do you want to make the trip to help? lol

I can't stand it and might have to tow it somewhere at this point, this sucks.

The fact that the codes are pointing to multiple sensors and actuators, might be that there's a bad power supply in the ECU or a bad ground connection.

Check that the Vref side of the TPS is 5.0 V. I had the voltage regulator fail on our '95 which caused this reference to jump to 7+ volts. I got all sorts of evil misfires when that happened.

Also check the resistance from the ground wire of the TPS to the battery negative. That would tell you if the ground is solid.
    "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car." - Will Shriner

'86 GT Mustang "Tigger"
    '95 GT convertible (wife's car)
    '86 SVO accursed car (sold)

If the harness connections are all good, I would replace the ECU

Neither here nor there

Thanks guys

I am going to try to do some more looking this weekend, the weather has not cooperated at all and my son's graduation was last night as well, just having had more time to dig back in. It appears I might have some help coming as well, which would be good.