Close

Default Mystery rear brake trouble

Well I seem to be having problems with my 91' 2.3L mustangs rear brakes, I just bought the car and got it home (It didn't have rear brakes when I test drove it either) My buddy and I took the car to a gravel parking lot, he watched as I slammed on the brakes and the fronts stopped my car but the rears just kept turning, any idea if it is the master cylinder, pads, rotors or lines? Id like to get this fixed ASAP so I can get the car daily driver ready

look for a plugged line, leaking line, leaking wheel cylinders. theres a fairly large number of things that can cause a loss of back brakes. most common on old foxbodys around here is a blown line someone just smashes flat so they can keep driving it with front brakes only!

Try adjusting them?
    1983 Mercury Zephyr Z7 AM Radio, no a/c, 200 3.3l I6, C5 Automatic, Police scanner, 40 Channel Cobra 29LTD CB radio, PA system mounted under bumper

2008 Ford F150 XL 2wd v6, 5 speed.

I'll crawl underneath of it tomorrow after work and check the lines

Was p.o. a fan of power braking!

Have you tried posting in the brake forum? might get more helpful replies.

They simply could be out of adjustment. If the self adjusters become gummed up or are worn out the rear shoes may never grab. Does the parking brake hold the car at all?
    Have you pulled the rear drums to check for inoperable hardware or leaking wheel cylinders?
    Is there any fluid in the front reservoir of the master cylinder?
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers